Active Topics

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
No, that one is my fault, sorry.

This status menu applet runs FM Boost without checking to see if it's already set to 118. I'll add a check later on today.
It's 1:34 in the morning so I must piss off and get to sleep now.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
No, that one is my fault, sorry.

This status menu applet runs FM Boost without checking to see if it's already set to 118. I'll add a check later on today.
It's 1:34 in the morning so I must piss off and get to sleep now.
Good night. By the time you are up I'll be snoozin so I'll post this now.

Well an good but no appology is necessary and I thank you for your efforts so far. I now have much more than I did just a few days ago.

As I understand it your app invokes the event perhaps more often than it needs to but I was thinking that we wouldn't know that had another program not coded the notification banner invoked by the event.
I didn't recall seeing this notification banner when FM-Boost was first installed before the other widget . I would think FM-Boost would have created these same events. That is why I thought it was not an OEM notification rather a relic of a since removed "extra".

The same kind of thing occurs if I force a shut down of the device...
@ next boot, a banner left over from the long gone Kernel Power app pops up telling me it is reverting to the stock kernel. It doesn't because I am no longer using Kernel Power and I know the kernel that I am using remains. However, I still see this Kernel Power branded banner none the less.

Not knowing exactly how it is done I was thinking' that there must be a notification configuration file somewhere and I could simply comment out these instances... Or better yet, insert my own dang text.

I guess I should read up on something about this instead of just shooting from the hip, eh?

SLN member # 009

Last edited by YoDude; 2010-06-09 at 03:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 257 | Thanked: 205 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sydney, Australia
Does using this applet chew battery like the desktop widget did? Since removing the FMTX desktop widget, my battery life has improved more than 50%.
Looks like a more than suitable replacement if so.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by shazosbourne View Post
Does using this applet chew battery like the desktop widget did? Since removing the FMTX desktop widget, my battery life has improved more than 50%.
Looks like a more than suitable replacement if so.
Well, it wakes up if the FMTx daemon reports a change to it (like the original), but it does pretty much the same more or less when woken up as the original applet. If I read IDA's output for the original applet correctly, this one also frees the memory properly.

@YoDude
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Good night. By the time you are up I'll be snoozin so I'll post this now.

Well an good but no appology is necessary and I thank you for your efforts so far. I now have much more than I did just a few days ago.

As I understand it your app invokes the event perhaps more often than it needs to but I was thinking that we wouldn't know that had another program not coded the notification banner invoked by the event.
I didn't recall seeing this notification banner when FM-Boost was first installed before the other widget . I would think FM-Boost would have created these same events. That is why I thought it was not an OEM notification rather a relic of a since removed "extra".

The same kind of thing occurs if I force a shut down of the device...
@ next boot, a banner left over from the long gone Kernel Power app pops up telling me it is reverting to the stock kernel. It doesn't because I am no longer using Kernel Power and I know the kernel that I am using remains. However, I still see this Kernel Power branded banner none the less.

Not knowing exactly how it is done I was thinking' that there must be a notification configuration file somewhere and I could simply comment out these instances... Or better yet, insert my own dang text.

I guess I should read up on something about this instead of just shooting from the hip, eh?
Download it again.

Yes, it does run fmboost more times than is necessary but that should be fixed now due to its checking of the current power level. FM Boost is a script that just runs echo. It does nothing else. Our widgets will run the script and then display the banner, independently.

Actually, I believe that message is saying that it just won't load the overclocked settings; the kernel remains in-place.

Anyway, Banners and Banner-like dialog boxes are implemented in the Hildon library (HildonBanner and HildonNote respectively). My widget will call HildonBanner directly.

--

kernel-power-settings is a package consisting of scripts.

FreeDesktop has a specification on notifications: http://www.galago-project.org/specs/notification/

What's special about this is that D-Bus methods are invoked to display those notifications, and most D-Bus methods can be called using the dbus-send tool. Hildon Desktop implements this specification and will pass messages sent to it to a HildonBanner/HildonNote instance.

In short, dpkg -L kernel-power-settings and find out which of those scripts is running dbus-send.

Last edited by qwerty12; 2010-06-11 at 11:34.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Well, it wakes up if the FMTx daemon reports a change to it (like the original), but it does pretty much the same more or less when woken up as the original applet. If I read IDA's output for the original applet correctly, this one also frees the memory properly.

@YoDude

Download it again.

Yes, it does run fmboost more times than is necessary but that should be fixed now due to its checking of the current power level. FM Boost is a script that just runs echo. It does nothing else. Our widgets will run the script and then display the banner, independently.

Actually, I believe that message is saying that it just won't load the overclocked settings; the kernel remains in-place.

Anyway, Banners and Banner-like dialog boxes are implemented in the Hildon library (HildonBanner and HildonNote respectively). My widget will call HildonBanner directly.

--

kernel-power-settings is a package consisting of scripts.

FreeDesktop has a specification on notifications: http://www.galago-project.org/specs/notification/

What's special about this is that D-Bus methods are invoked to display those notifications, and most D-Bus methods can be called using the dbus-send tool. Hildon Desktop implements this specification and will pass messages sent to it to a HildonBanner/HildonNote instance.

In short, dpkg -L kernel-power-settings and find out which of those scripts is running dbus-send.
Man you pointed to the fishing hole and told us what bait you used... You have even offered us your surplus fish!

You truly are the best dude...

Warmest regards,
YoDude

"I see.", said the blind man...

SLN member # 009

Last edited by YoDude; 2010-06-12 at 15:15.

Dude,
Last night I got a chance to do some real world testing and this widget passed with flying colors. The test included transmitting music from my N900 into a taverns sound system via their FM reciever for approximately 3.5 hours. While this occured the N900's browser was used to look up lyrics, all kinds of arcane trivia, and to verify or disprove the nightly quota of general barroom BS.

As a result your widget has received the coveted 4 Cocktail, Bartender's Approval rating.

Since you did all the work on this widget, for each Cap'n Morgan and Coke I consumed while I conducting the test, I made sure that I had a corresponding one of equal size and value on your behalf. I figured it was the only fair thing to do.

Needless to say a good time was had by all. Thanks!

SLN member # 009

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 117 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Manchester, England
Works like a charm... Cheers guys....

Was just thinking I needed this!

The Following User Says Thank You to Livinmalife For This Useful Post:
The path seems to be dead.
_http://www.freemoe.org/users/qwerty12/fmtx_status_menu_item.so

Originally Posted by xuggs View Post
The path seems to be dead.
_http://www.freemoe.org/users/qwerty12/fmtx_status_menu_item.so
'Tis because Freemoe is down. Don't have a copy, sorry.

Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
You might be able to pick up a copy via google cache but it is dated 5 Jun and qwerty12 made further changes on the 9th.

HA