Posts: 82 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ New Mexico, USA
Originally Posted by ghoonk View Post
On that note, I'd also argue that the iPod really sucks as an Internet Tablet

Not to mention the fact that the user interface for web browsing on the iPod/iPhone is a nightmare of flawed design and bugginess compared with the N800's elegant functionality.

My iPod Photo (a gift from my dad years ago) holds 30GB of music, while my N800 has got 8GB of music and videos (so far - waiting for my other 2 x 16GB SDHCs to arrive) -- each have their purpose in my simple life
Touche! Just trying to give the guy who launched this thread my two cents...

Just a short story about audio quality and two friends. Friend no1 had a realistic receiver he threw out. The garbage man never took it away and it stayed out in the weather all winter. Friend no 2 decided to buy a $12000 stereo. he could only get $8000 credit to purchase the speakers. so for a few months he used friend no 1's receiver, after hauling it in from the garbage. It sounded great.
Solid state electronics has long ago passed the point where people can detect the difference. The same can not be said for audio codecs. most of which could use some improvement

Originally Posted by smackpotato View Post
Solid state electronics has long ago passed the point where people can detect the difference. The same can not be said for audio codecs. most of which could use some improvement
Good point, but more important than the electronics is simple electrics -- how much noise is picked up from other circuits. Doesn't matter so much in a big audio-only device like a stereo receiver, but in a tiny, very mixed digital, RF, and audio system like the N800, an iPod, or whatever, PCB routing, filtration, separate ground planes, etc. can leave that indistinguishably good sound alone. Lack of them can bring in way too much noise.

I am not a real "golden ear" ,but I know bad when I hear it, and the n800 isn't bad. I run it all the time with a bithead amp and AKG K81dj headphones. I like it through a t-amp and speakers also. No background noise at all and nothing seems to be lacking. It doesn't seem to suffer from the RF and other noise that a laptop has.

Last edited by flashbackk; 2008-01-21 at 22:08.

background noise is only from the playback of the clicking sounds. The wave files that they use for the "clicks" are low quality and have hiss. If you disable the playback of those files (turn off clicking), u wont hear hiss.

The Following User Says Thank You to OppositeOfIgnorance For This Useful Post:
The earphones included with the n800 are terrible. They sounded so bad I was a little nervous the n800 wasn't going to be good enough to listen to music through, which was one of the reasons I bought it -- the audio lacked basically any depth, sounded like it was coming from a cheap radio.

Switching to the headphones that came with my 2nd gen iPod shuffle was a vast improvement and I'm happy with the sound now. I haven't done any serious A/B testing with the shuffle but it sounds good enough that I don't really care.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I found the earphones that came with the N800 very uncomfortable. I used them for almost five minutes and never touched them again. Fortunately, everything else I have tried has been great.

Originally Posted by flashbackk View Post
I am not a real "golden ear" ,but I know bad when I hear it, and the n800 isn't bad. I run it all the time with a bithead amp and AKG K81dj headphones. I like it through a t-amp and speakers also. No background noise at all and nothing seems to be lacking. It doesn't seem to suffer from the RF and other noise that a laptop has.
Have you tried hooking up your bithead through USB?

Originally Posted by smackpotato View Post
Just a short story about audio quality and two friends. Friend no1 had a realistic receiver he threw out. The garbage man never took it away and it stayed out in the weather all winter. Friend no 2 decided to buy a $12000 stereo. he could only get $8000 credit to purchase the speakers. so for a few months he used friend no 1's receiver, after hauling it in from the garbage. It sounded great.
Hundreds of people disagree with the story your friend told you. There is a major difference in sound quality between my H320 + iBasso T1 and the headphone out of the n800. And it has nothing to do with codecs either, all the music that I have that is worth listening to is encoded in FLAC.

And my h320 pales in comparison to the sound card I have in my desktop. None of my gear is particularly expensive(h320 was $180, iBasso was $70, Sound card was $27) but there is a major improvement in quality compared to what comes out of most consumer electronics devices.

I agree that once you start spending thousands of dollars on gear it becomes a bit stupid, but if you enjoy music then spending a few hundred bucks on a nice setup is worth every penny.

And to the people that are listening to it with earbuds, you will not notice an ounce of difference between any media player out there. If you have this thing hooked up to apple iBuds then the buds are the bottleneck, not the codecs and not the n800. On the other hand, if you think that the sound coming out of the buds sounds good, there isn't much point in wasting all your money on audio gear.

Originally Posted by drizek View Post
Have you tried hooking up your bithead through USB?
No. I just assumed it wouldn't work. I guess I should try it. I'll have to find a mini-usb to mini-usb cable somewhere.