Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Looks like many people got GPS-related ideas (that was not too surprising).

But many of us got almost similar ideas that overlap in some aspects.
Quim suggested us, in his blog (http://flors.wordpress.com/2007/11/10/34/: "We hope the fortunate developers interested in these popular areas ask around before reinventing wheels under development elsewhere. Some dialog and coordination at area levels starts to be really needed."), to dialog about this common idea, so let's do it.

Many of you guys thought about applications, while I was thinking about a framework to provide THOSE applications with location data.
I've been already contacted by a developer about merging mine and his idea together.

I think many of us could join their efforts to speed up the design phase at least and have a common, easy to use, robust base to work on.

I will try to release a concise draft of what is my idea of the "location framework" (probably based on GeoClue) and whoever had a GPS application idea will be welcome to give suggestion or, most important, make "feature request", i.e. what they'd expect from a location framework, how they could use it and so on. This will definitely help in properly design the framework.

Stay tuned...

Last edited by anidel; 2007-11-10 at 11:35.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Yabbas: Panorama functionality would be awesome, especially if you could stich everything together on the tablet and save the wide image.

Originally Posted by Hedgecore View Post
Yabbas: Panorama functionality would be awesome, especially if you could stich everything together on the tablet and save the wide image.
That's the plan atm already worked on stitching algorithms in the past. Ideal situation would be "limitless" stitching.

Chinook SDK has been released now so I'll be sure to make a start next week.

Originally Posted by spacey View Post
I'm hoping to use Ruby for a realtime Geolocation application - stay tuned =)
Ruby's available for N8XX? where?

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
I will try to release a concise draft of what is my idea of the "location framework" (probably based on GeoClue) and whoever had a GPS application idea will be welcome to give suggestion or, most important, make "feature request", i.e. what they'd expect from a location framework, how they could use it and so on.
Related to this, GeoClue is moving forward and will definitely be coming to Chinook. There is an effort to simplify and clean the API, and suggestions are very welcome.

All kinds of location-based services are possible once a common (and non GPS dependent) framework exists. I'm personally interested in two things:

For the driving app GPS is obviously important. But just remember that GPS does not work well indoors, and that other position sources are available...

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Winnipeg, Canada
I've got a few IT projects on the go:

1) simplify the users' access to web radio/media sources (there are over 10 000 available). I'll be contacting the people behind UKMP, Canola, Kagu, etc., and hope to provide them with a database of material that should make this easy for the user.

2) I write a monthly column for a radio listening magazine (Listening In, by ODXA - http://www.odxa.on.ca/ ). My column's all about using the web to listen, and I will be focusing on web radio sources throughout 2008 - all my writing & research for this column will be done with the Nokia N810 (and I'll let my readers know it!).

3) I'm still plugging away at a port of Audacity, which is an audio recording/editing package. This began on the 770, but technical issues (and having a new child) slowed me for a while. Now that I know Lardman (above) does DSP, the prospects are improving , but don't expect anything too soon - 1&2 come first.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
Related to this, GeoClue is moving forward and will definitely be coming to Chinook. There is an effort to simplify and clean the API, and suggestions are very welcome.

All kinds of location-based services are possible once a common (and non GPS dependent) framework exists. I'm personally interested in two things:

For the driving app GPS is obviously important. But just remember that GPS does not work well indoors, and that other position sources are available...
I'm looking to see this solidify so I can add it to my Jabber server.

Posts: 472 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Texas
I got the discount, and while not a developer, as a blogger (Tablet-Guru.com) I hope to be the guinea pig for other consumers, and help you guys bring your apps and developments to more and more people by providing in-depth feedback, video walkthroughs, and that part of it.

I missed the 770 but have an N800 that I use for blogging and other functions, and I hope to grow the userbase, therefore offering you technical whizzes more reasons to keep doing what you're doing.

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
I'm looking to see this solidify so I can add it to my Jabber server.
Related to that, seems like somebody is working on geopositioning support for maemo's pidgin (XEP-0080 I guess). Shame it doesn't do GeoClue yet...

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
Related to that, seems like somebody is working on geopositioning support for maemo's pidgin (XEP-0080 I guess). Shame it doesn't do GeoClue yet...
There is also GeoJabber for Maemo which is supposed to work like that, though I've never been able to do anything with it.

Geoclue's the project I've been waiting the longest for. When everybody was installing it around the first release, it wouldn't run for me. Then when it ran for me, Plazes changed their API... *sigh*

Anyways, yep.. XEP-0080 is something I'm excited about supporting.