Poll: WSOD - Who has had one?
Poll Options
WSOD - Who has had one?

jjstewart:

My latest status is: 03/05/2008 Awaiting Parts

What phone number did you call? The one I just dug up on the Palco website is: 800-634-0958 .

Thanks.

I called Palco and they directed me to the main Nokia number (888-665-4228).

Nokia was absolutely zero help. All they could tell me is Nokia 770 is being repaired (I could see that from the web page). I asked the CSR and their supervisor about the fact that Nokia 800s are being sent out as a replacement for the Nokia 770 and they said they are not. That is not their policy and never was. So, when/if I do get my 770 back, I truly hope they fixed the issue or I'm not going to be a happy camper when it dies again after the warranty runs out.

If someone has contact information for a helpful Nokia CSR I can contact that has a different story, please private message me with the info. Thanks.

I had one on my n770 and Nokia Canada wouldn't take it back. They said it was an US version. Luckily after prodding the Canadian retail seller did and I eventually replaced it with an n800. I wonder which n800's sold in Canada have Canadian warranties.

Nokia has had my 770 since Feb 19th. I had emailed once and got a boilerplate reponse of still waiting for parts. After seeing some people on this thread had received N800, I called yesterday afternoon. After a while I was transferred to "Executive Resolution" and they faxed me a form to sign to receive an exchange on 770 for N800. Didn't have to yell but stressed that it had been there a rather long time without any progress.

Hope it goes as well for any others with WSOD!!

The Following User Says Thank You to bimmerdriver For This Useful Post:
Posts: 226 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Poland / Bialystok
I've just had mine
Started debian sid from mmc - got "mouse locked" in xpdf menu and removed battery - that's it

XTC, sorry to hear you hit the WSOD issue. There is no fix so get an RMA if you're under warranty and send that 770 in.

I'm still waiting on mine (3+ weeks now). Although the web site still says "Waiting for parts", when I call them on the phone, they said they are actually now waiting on a 'replacement' for my 770. They couldn't tell me if it was a 770 or 800 (or 810, which I doubt), but hopefully I'll know soon. I'll touch base with them again next week.

Originally Posted by egs View Post
XTC, sorry to hear you hit the WSOD issue. There is no fix so get an RMA if you're under warranty and send that 770 in.

I'm still waiting on mine (3+ weeks now). Although the web site still says "Waiting for parts", when I call them on the phone, they said they are actually now waiting on a 'replacement' for my 770. They couldn't tell me if it was a 770 or 800 (or 810, which I doubt), but hopefully I'll know soon. I'll touch base with them again next week.
Unfortunately I bought my (rip) n770 second hand - without warranty so... probably It will be my mp3 player with barely readable screen
Right now I'm studying schematics and chips datasheets but I don't think I succeed fixing it.
I can't find datasheet for the display itself. I'll post all my final thoughts in proper existing WSOD-solution topic.

Originally Posted by XTC View Post
I've just had mine
Started debian sid from mmc - got "mouse locked" in xpdf menu and removed battery - that's it
If I understand correctly, you got the WSOD right after you removed the battery after a crash, right? Exactly what happened to me.

I certainly sympathize, but in hindsight you should have kept in mind my earlier post, my friend.

Originally Posted by Drewvt View Post
If I understand correctly, you got the WSOD right after you removed the battery after a crash, right? Exactly what happened to me.

I certainly sympathize, but in hindsight you should have kept in mind my earlier post, my friend.
Exactly ...I did this few times before when my device was locked in some state - unfortunately this one was the last time. I was pretty sure that WSOD is not one of my problems - unfortunately LCD screen and driver power-on sequencing is messed up in n770 - in n800 they fixed it using one of power management chip instead relying on on/off pins of LDOs.

Update on my situation... I got a call from the 'Executive Resolution Center' and they say they'll be sending me a N800 to replace my WSOD'ed N770. I faxed back the form today. It sounds like I'll have my N800 in about a week or so.

Thanks everyone for the info...