Notices

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by xuggs View Post
Should the students and common people also get free computers?
Don't jump from side to another. You know what i mean, it's not that we don't have normal working free office - we do have openoffice. As well, i understand that program can cost money, and it's fair enuf, but at lest they can use open standard. For example, i'm linux user, and now because of the college i have to use windows computers at work or computers of my friends just to print some documents ( OO is great but not always display .docs as it should), as well we studing C, but because of Visual Studio they use in college i need something that supports .NET (yes we have mono, but still not the same). So i need not only to buy Microsoft Office or Visual Studio (second the school is giving for free, license for students), but i also need to buy Microsoft Windows itself + use dualboot or virtual machine. i don't have many choices. And it's because some education organizations get the profit from Microsoft, while Microsoft gets the profit from you.

Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
Don't jump from side to another. You know what i mean, it's not that we don't have normal working free office - we do have openoffice. As well, i understand that program can cost money, and it's fair enuf, but at lest they can use open standard. For example, i'm linux user, and now because of the college i have to use windows computers at work or computers of my friends just to print some documents ( OO is great but not always display .docs as it should), as well we studing C, but because of Visual Studio they use in college i need something that supports .NET (yes we have mono, but still not the same). So i need not only to buy Microsoft Office or Visual Studio (second the school is giving for free, license for students), but i also need to buy Microsoft Windows itself + use dualboot or virtual machine. i don't have many choices. And it's because some education organizations get the profit from Microsoft, while Microsoft gets the profit from you.
I am afraid your bottom line is absolutely false. No education organizations get any profit from Microsoft unless the one where you are studying does that. These would be considered "side deals" which are strongly against company policies and Microsoft does not get any profit from them. (I have worked at MS yes). They provide upto 90% discount to education sector which varies from region to region.

My point: Developers work extremely hard so try and put aside the image of MS and think about the work that goes into that software. Forget about them being under the MS umbrella. Even most opensource software asks you for donations which is optional of course but still everyone needs the money.

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
I am afraid your bottom line is absolutely false. No education organizations get any profit from Microsoft unless the one where you are studying does that. These would be considered "side deals" which are strongly against company policies and Microsoft does not get any profit from them. (I have worked at MS yes). They provide upto 90% discount to education sector which varies from region to region.

My point: Developers work extremely hard so try and put aside the image of MS and think about the work that goes into that software. Forget about them being under the MS umbrella. Even most opensource software asks you for donations which is optional of course but still everyone needs the money.
This is OT but it is not uncommon for companies to sponsor schools with school materials. And so does also MS. So i am happy when i read about countries and schools that embrace the open standard. That will make the world more free. Not to rely on the monopoly.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Should the students and common people also get free computers?
They should and they often do. Most libraries and universities offer computers for public use as part of their services, but even if you forego that, net caffes offer a cheap service where you can use their computers, no strings attached. You cannot just 'rent' Word or Excel for an hour, even if you DO have a computer (not to mention the platform limitations).

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 498 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Poland
Guys, guys, let's not ruin this announcement with freetardation please.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Tomaszd For This Useful Post:
AWESOME! Thank you mani! Was really looking forward to something like this! Finally a community-based application to read my Word documents again! The N900 increased in value once more

It's fast and responsive too (except for very large files ofcourse, but those take long to open on most normal PCs as well)! Again, thanks!

Originally Posted by deter3 View Post
message returned " unable to install" , any one has the same problem ?
I got the same response! Gonna try through terminal.

Originally Posted by AlMehdi View Post
Try installing it with apt-get in the terminal. If it not work. Give us the output here.

1. root
2. apt-get install freoffice

You might need to install rootfs if you haven's before. It can be fetched from the Application Manager.
I tried this and got an error. Here is the screenshot:

Runs perfect for me. Thanks!

Thanks guys for your effort!

Here're my findings about this version:

1. MS Office and OOffice files are not associated with the application, so I can't open them inside emails (attachments) or from File manager. In File manager I get opened window "Select application" where I need to manually select app Office.

2. I can open files with extension docx, odp, odt, pps, ppt, pptx, txt.

3. I can't open files with extension doc, ods, xls, xlsx, ppsx, rtf, abw.

4. Inside Freoffice when I choose option "Open" I don't see files with extension pps, ppsx, rtf, abw.

5. Files inside File manager don't have dedicated icons like in previous version.

Just to clarify some things about my system. I have latest firmware and I had FreOffice 0.2-7 installed for some period, which I uninstalled it few days ago, because I decided to try trial version of DocumentsToGo viewer. Today I removed DocsToGo before I installed new FreOffice.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kolos For This Useful Post: