Active Topics

Poll: Best OS for N900?
Poll Options
Best OS for N900?

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
With all due respect here if you look at the work done to get USB HOST going on Maemo and take a close look at the teamwork that went on to accomplish that, now apply the same kind of teamwork to the Maemo os itself and i bet you MeeGo will never even get close.

I like the idea of another os and MeeGo will probably be a fantastic platform for any NEWER device but it is just not going to go on this device and everyone now knows that but hey good luck i say with MeeGo BUT please take it on to the MEEGO forum not this one.

Allow Maemo progression on a Maemo forum no?.
Hey abill_uk, are you enjoying 2.6.28?
Face it, the N900's wont last long. Production has likely stopped, and it's only a matter of time until we get flex failures, USB port accidents, dropped devices, etc. Wouldn't it be great if the next device you have (say a SGS2 or whatever supersuperphone comes out) can still run the familiar Hildon experience? Not to mention the only things that really need to be ported and not just recompiled would be whatever closed-source software components the hardware needs.

Not to mention, we still have the best task switcher (screw what the WebOS people think).

Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
@abill you just don't seem to get it. Maemo will NEVER be as open as Meego, and therefore is not as flexible. The closed parts need to be rewritten or reverse engineered which is a HUGE amount of work. Putting hildon on top of Meego (Cordia) will give you the familiar Maemo 5 UX with a much more flexible platform underneath.
i couldn't agree more to abill as to why in the world would you have Meego talk on Maemo forum. Second get real man, do you even realize how much time and effort it would take to put Cordia project anywhere close to where Maemo already is, not to mention trillion bugs it would have which will take another many months to patch. do you actually think people who are and have enjoyed n900 for past year and a half will still be using n900 as their primary cellphone 5 years from now. Nope, none. It will be part of good old Nokia history. A life cycle for a cellphone is kept short, people want to move on to bigger and better things to enjoy the latest and greatest technology has to offer. Similarly n900 is not a God, its just a cellphone. Point being, too much effort in my opinion is put into things when if same effort was directed to maemo, many bigger better things could've come along by now.

The Following User Says Thank You to niqbal For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
Hey abill_uk, are you enjoying 2.6.28?
Face it, the N900's wont last long. Production has likely stopped, and it's only a matter of time until we get flex failures, USB port accidents, dropped devices, etc. Wouldn't it be great if the next device you have (say a SGS2 or whatever supersuperphone comes out) can still run the familiar Hildon experience? Not to mention the only things that really need to be ported and not just recompiled would be whatever closed-source software components the hardware needs.
I agree totally with you but you see the problem is we all love this device and it is doubtfull another will follow its tracks for a long time to come especially considering the problems with the so called "open source".

Give me a N901 for example with newer hardware but open and the quaities of the N900 and i will buy it straight away.

Do you remember the split screen jaguar? its absolutely ancient now but people adore them so much they would marry one given the chance so same goes for the N900 no matter how old or dated or superceded it becomes.

Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
@abill you just don't seem to get it. Maemo will NEVER be as open as Meego, and therefore is not as flexible. The closed parts need to be rewritten or reverse engineered which is a HUGE amount of work. Putting hildon on top of Meego (Cordia) will give you the familiar Maemo 5 UX with a much more flexible platform underneath.
I want to settle something with you here ok.... the reason Maemo is not 100% open is because of Nokia BUT do you realise that every single driver for the N900 is within any of the major encrypted updates? and all it would take IF it is even needed is to reverse engineer the update.
One thing i miss that very nearly got to the stage of complettion is the GPS and i am sure a few other apps were much needed to be developed further.

I am not a Linux coder but hell i would love to see the teamwork applied to the os that went on with the usb host fix.

Maemo can very easily be completely open if only this forum would muck in together without the distractions of MeeGo etc etc.

I in turn can apply my expertise as i am a hardware engineer mostly and the reason it was a doddle for me to fix the usb port problem.

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
I agree totally with you but you see the problem is we all love this device and it is doubtfull another will follow its tracks for a long time to come especially considering the problems with the so called "open source".

Give me a N901 for example with newer hardware but open and the quaities of the N900 and i will buy it straight away.

Do you remember the split screen jaguar? its absolutely ancient now but people adore them so much they would marry one given the chance so same goes for the N900 no matter how old or dated or superceded it becomes.
See: HTC HD2, Android and WP7.

I in turn can apply my expertise as i am a hardware engineer mostly and the reason it was a doddle for me to fix the usb port problem.
Time to build, prototype and produce your own open phone then?

Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
See: HTC HD2, Android and WP7.

Time to build, prototype and produce your own open phone then?
No can do i do not have the equipment needed to prototype.
I work with faulty design better and many years ago when multi layer pcb's were being invented i was the "robot" that did the "pick and place" to minimise tracks on the layers and then moved onto cad design when it became availabe.

PS there you go, a little bit about my past !.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2011-06-09 at 14:57.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
I want to settle something with you here ok.... the reason Maemo is not 100% open is because of Nokia BUT do you realise that every single driver for the N900 is within any of the major encrypted updates? and all it would take IF it is even needed is to reverse engineer the update.
One thing i miss that very nearly got to the stage of complettion is the GPS and i am sure a few other apps were much needed to be developed further.

I am not a Linux coder but hell i would love to see the teamwork applied to the os that went on with the usb host fix.

Maemo can very easily be completely open if only this forum would muck in together without the distractions of MeeGo etc etc.

You're comedy gold.

1) Updates are not encrypted
2) You can access the closed binaries in Maemo5 with ease.
3) "cat /usr/lib/libEGL.so" from a terminal if you don't believe me.

Now, get reverse engineerin'!
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
You're comedy gold.

1) Updates are not encrypted
2) You can access the closed binaries in Maemo5 with ease.
3) "cat /usr/lib/libEGL.so" from a terminal if you don't believe me.

Now, get reverse engineerin'!
No i will stick to hardware thankyou and especially as there are many many on this forum capable much more than me.... how about you for instance?..

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
No i will stick to hardware thankyou and especially as there are many many on this forum capable much more than me.... how about you for instance?..
Honestly, having touched that code to build it makes it impossible for me to legally reverse engineer it, so that's why.

(Also, I'm really not sharp in ARM machine code)
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
He, for instance, isn't asking for this to be done.

Easy way of remembering how the world works:

- people work on the project they want if they want.
- you work on the project you want if you want.
- people work on the project you want if you pay.

You can't blame Nokia, the devs of this community and the devs of other community for your dreams not comming true if you just whine all day.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:

Tags
buy cordia tab, cordia vs cssu, more opensource, y this thread?