Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by chris_r View Post
That's really weird -- tmo doesn't seem to brand the S7, and the radio lacks UMTS band IV. I wonder if that's on bestbuy (for T-Mobile having its IMEI in its 'non-dumbphone' database).

Damn bestbuy.
From my understanding (and experience) , tmobile knows I (we) have a N900. However, since they don't sell it, as Graham says, it's not in the database as a smartphone. So the regular dumbphone plan works.

The S7's started selling in Nov, and worked with voice and data at the same time until early Jan. At that point, someone at Tmobile coded it as tablet. Now it's either voice or data, not both.

[QUOTE=lemmyslender;953281]From my understanding (and experience) , tmobile knows I (we) have a N900. However, since they don't sell it, as Graham says, it's not in the database as a smartphone. So the regular dumbphone plan works.

From my experience T mobile, my carrier cannot tell that you are using a N900 device. They can tell it's a superphone and try to block the $10 internet, but the easy work around is find a cheap (TMOBILE dumbphone) insert your sim and call to activate the $10 internet. This may require some slick talking as to how you have such an old phone but i'm sure anyone here can pass this lol.
Next step reinsert the sim into your superduper N900, find and program the internetaccess address manually<< this is a must, for they will not send it to your N900 and ur done . The N900 will do the rest and bring the sweet 3G to ur beloved BRICK.

P.s i have been using skype as my primary phone since September last without a hitch !!!!

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Been running PR1.3 since it came out, still using the cheap ($9.99 when I signed up, IIRC) plan, bittorrenting, httping, and sftping loads of data (>10GB/mo), and no complaints from T-Mobile USA yet.
I remembered I had NetStory installed, so I can pull up actual usage data instead of guessing conservatively. And when I pulled it up, I was actually surprised how much data I use...

Had to take a screenshot for you

Impressive, no?
Attached Images

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
@kilakev

Not my experience at all. I've been online with tech support because my $10 internet wasn't working. They were aware it's a N900, told them I was using internet2 as opposed to epc, and they had no problem getting the internet working again. Based on IMEI, they know what phone you are using, and the system updates pretty quickly when you swith the sim to a different phone.

As I mentioned, as soon as I switch my sim to my S7, data gets blocked (almost instantly) because the S7 is registered in T-Mobiles system as voice only or data only, not both. Put the sim back in my N900, data is available again (almost instantly).

There was no trickery needed to get the $10 data plan. I simply went to T-Mo, ported my number got a new sim. Put the sim in the N900, went online to my account, selected a dumbphone as my phone (since the N900 isn't a choice), added the $10 plan. On my N900 switched the APN to internet2.voicestream.com and have been happy ever since.

T-Mo is even running an IPv6 beta, of which the N900 is one of 3 or 4 phones to be allowed into the program. All that is required to participate is an "unlimited" data plan. You had to request to be in the beta, and they had to look at your account and setup the beta on it. They know what phone and plan I'm using, they don't care.

I haven't even had any issues using data while running nitroid, which has to use the internet2.voicestream.com apn (IPv4).

As evidenced by Benson, they surely know he isn't using a dumbphone to transfer that much data. There aren't enough N900 users to prompt them to change the system.