Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
I still don't think he was able to figure it out.
No, it's sort of a compromise right now. It's the GTK tooltip widget, same one as OMWeather uses. :\

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Agreed with you regarding the annoyance of these being closed, but I suspect the reason isn't competitive advantage.
Quim didn't really give us an answer when it came up during thoughtfix's interview (thanks again Quim and Dan!). As far as I could read, it basically came down to, "They're closed, it's not gonna change anytime soon." No real reason was given, though.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by polossatik View Post
If GNU purists succeed in making a system that is better then the provided SW stack I'll bet a lot of people will be more then happy to use it
Kinda difficult when there are undocumented hardware components. Where you have documented hardware, gnu purists already succeded in providing a better system (ubuntu, mandriva, and surely most other linux distro nowadays) than the commercial alternative (windows).

Originally Posted by Johnx View Post
(ie, do we want GPL drivers for wireless or the best/cheapest wireless chipset we can get?)
Considering that it sucks power like there's no tomorrow and its performance is mediocre, I'd say they chose the cheapest wireless chipset
(Hey, I don't blame them for that, I also bought some of the cheapest wireless adapters I could find, but they have open drivers and perform much better than the tablet's one)

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
The components that I feel could and should be replaced are those three mentioned in an earlier posting: wi-fi, bluetooth and possibly the dsp code (at least the former two are always open source in linux kernels for other devices). There shouldn't be any reason for having closed wi-fi and BT drivers.
Bluetooth driver is not closed, the source is in linux kernel. What is closed is the bluetooth firmware blob but that's pretty normal (see http://www.bluez.org/download.html for various firmwares) .

Audio could be replaced relatively easily, it is possible to access audio from ARM side and linux drivers exist or is possible to adapt them. Then DSP will simply sit unused. See linux port for Palm Tungsten T/T2 (OMAP 1510) for example, I think it uses same audio codec as 770.

wi-fi is a problem, see this mail for introduction
https://garage.maemo.org/pipermail/c...er/000001.html
basically there are two closed parts with open glue (=cx3110x.ko) between. To make it kernel-independent one needs to replace umac.ko module. As I understand it the firmware blob and the umac blob fit together so using some random open wi-fi stack with the firmware may be hard (just guessing).

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by luca View Post
Considering that it sucks power like there's no tomorrow...
Do you have a reference for that? I thought cx3110 was pretty good in that regard.

The Following User Says Thank You to jussik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by polossatik View Post
<snip>The fact that Nokia is trying to make a working business model based on (partial) GPL software is only to be applauded as it will only give more credibility to the opensource/gnu/.... "movement".
Man, that was beautiful. Thanks.

Originally Posted by jussik View Post
Do you have a reference for that? I thought cx3110 was pretty good in that regard.
wgetting a big file uses 75% cpu (according to osso-statusbar-cpu), I suppose (but I may be wrong) that a sizeable part of it is due to the wifi transfer (on another arm system wget takes just 30%).
I also suppose (but again, I might be wrong) that cpu consumption translates to power consumption.
Btw, I don't really care about wget performance, I noticed the problem because it's very taxing to stream video to the tablet, in part due to missing video optimization (even with the great work done with the mplayer port) but in part due to the wifi (lack of) performance/efficiency.

wgetting a big file uses 75% cpu (according to osso-statusbar-cpu), I suppose (but I may be wrong) that a sizeable part of it is due to the wifi transfer (on another arm system wget takes just 30%).
I retried with the output redirected to /dev/null (writing to the flash takes its toll on the cpu) and "Osso mcspi" takes 41% cpu, while cx3110x takes 12%. So the cx3110 isn't completely to blame (though 12% isn't that low), but overall wifi takes more than 50% cpu.

I guess I'd be more concerned with power usage figures on the wifi itself? It uses CPU to drive it, of course, but I expect more of the power is directly consumed.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Network transfers are CPU-expensive. This really says nothing at all about the chipset itself.