Active Topics

As it is now, the tags are of no use and can as well be removed as a feature. We didn't have them before, and if the addition didn't work out then just get rid of them again. Noise is noise.

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
As it is now, the tags are of no use and can as well be removed as a feature.
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...php?tag=canola
is useful

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...=1-800-whining
maybe isn't, but then you wouldn't click on/search for it, would you?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
I object to the "childish" judgment calls being made here. It's called fun. Fun is not childish. Coming into a IT forum and posting a thread that says "N810 sucks!!" or 'N810 is useless" is childish. I mean really, Here's a forum of IT users who are clearly find the product(s) useful for their purposes, and someone rolls in and says the IT is "useless?" that's some ******** right there. Sure we all have issues here and there with the IT and we discuss them at length.

The only childish thing I do is play with my Nintendo DS. But then again, Video games are good for hand-eye coordination, contrast recognition and overall prevention of alzheimers due to increased brain activity. So I guess that's not too childish after all.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sondjata For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
I object to the "childish" judgment calls being made here. It's called fun. Fun is not childish. Coming into a IT forum and posting a thread that says "N810 sucks!!" or 'N810 is useless" is childish. I mean really, Here's a forum of IT users who are clearly find the product(s) useful for their purposes, and someone rolls in and says the IT is "useless?" that's some ******** right there. Sure we all have issues here and there with the IT and we discuss them at length.

The only childish thing I do is play with my Nintendo DS. But then again, Video games are good for hand-eye coordination, contrast recognition and overall prevention of alzheimers due to increased brain activity. So I guess that's not too childish after all.
Tags don't SPAM people, people (and bots) SPAM people...

This discusion turned toward the feature instead of towards the abuser(s) of that feature... and as I wrote earlier, it is easier to treat us all as children and remove a feature than it is to deal with those that abuse those features.

This isn't a judgement it is MHO based on my life's experiences.

There is enough information out there, and enough holes in the software used, that with a little effort someone can wreak havoc on a forums web site.

Some may call that having fun as well. If I was to judge though, I would call it "being an *******"; but who am I to judge?

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Wichita, KS
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
As it is now, the tags are of no use and can as well be removed as a feature.
Generally, I agree. Although, to nitpick, the tags are useful for bringing attention to their existence (credit: benny1967), and for fun, but they serve no practical purpose. many posters don't use tags (example: this thread does not tagged with "tag", even though that's the topic), and i can't see any advantage to doing a tag search instead of a google search.

of course, i mostly visit the forums to have fun, so i think they might as well stay. and i wouldn't call it "abuse". if (arguably) funny tags are abuse, then isn't the whole "off-topic" section abuse? i mean, the purpose of these forums is to talk about internet tablets, right? but people have fun talking about other things here, too, and expressing their opinions wherever they like, including the tag cloud.

Posts: 480 | Thanked: 378 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Chicago-ish
What do you mean it's not tagged with "tag"?

Talking about VBulletin features, I also wish for a function like the newsreader 'killfille thread' function, so that I could flag threads that I don't want to show up anymore in 'New Posts'. Just to make it easier to wade through, particularly when I haven't been reading ITT in the wekend.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
In this thread the current tags are: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=28164
8000 = blowhard, whoring for harmattan

I wonder what kind of humor that is... maybe oversexed teenage humor? It does not belong on a serious forum where people -including yours truly- are putting effort to make tags useful. I'm sure spammers would love to argue that spam is fun and humor but that doesn't make it right.

If you have an opinion about something you can use reply for that. Tags are meant to be informative; not opinions and other highly subjective nonsense. Unless the majority would have a specific opinion. But since there is no way to measure that in this forum this should be left out.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
We could tag tags with tags like "useful", "nonsense", "childish", "oversexed teenage humor",... Such meta-tags would make tags much more useful. So if you read a tag "8000 = blowhard" but see it's tagged "oversexed teenage humor", you know you needn't take it seriously.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 80 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Mableton, GA USA
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
On this forum in several threads I've seen nonsense tags en masse being added in the thread. What is going on? Can a moderator please look into this? Here on bottom is clear example.

Here is an example with only 1 tag which is clearly nonsense.
Huh. I didn't even realize there was a little "tags" section in these forums until this thread brought it to my attention.

I guess I've been concentrating on the actual content too much...

Tags
forum moderation, noise, spam, tag & spam, tag spam, tags