Active Topics

Originally Posted by IsaacDFP View Post
I remember the first time I heard about Harmattan and the N900 successor... I remember the good times planning and imagining what it would be... Now that thread has reached over 10 000 posts and I still don't have the N9 in my hands! :@

I'm done waiting around for rumours, lol, after I get bored with the N9, im going Android until Nokia releases (not announces) a new project.
I share your feelings

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oweng For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
I read the article, but you and they are missing the point. Why should some company reinvent the wheel from the beginning if they have already released 5 versions of such kind of system?

What else should Meltemi be if not a Harmattan, Fremantle, Diablo successor?

No mather if they call it "for low end"
exactly!

how would one describe N9's hardware in 2 years? yet still it handles harmattan today and probably more optimized meltemi in the future with similar specs (except ram because it is expensive..so limitations to multitasking and that's it)
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
(except ram because it is expensive..so limitations to multitasking and that's it)
...and cheap body, the cheapest display aviable and a really bad camera...

Sometimes I would like to have one or two persons to shoot for free without getting jailed.

Posts: 141 | Thanked: 359 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Italy
You forget a cheap price. Which hopefully leads to large numbers of devices around, and to more applications...

As a developer, I am actually looking forward to cheap (open) Linux phones with much greater interest than I would be to high end expensive phones.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikelima For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikelima View Post
You forget a cheap price. Which hopefully leads to large numbers of devices around, and to more applications...

As a developer, I am actually looking forward to cheap (open) Linux phones with much greater interest than I would be to high end expensive phones.
And I as a customer looking forward to hi end Linux phones for my own, personal, daily usage.
I have no problem with cheap devices with the same system if there are some with superior hardware aviable. But without those?

The Following User Says Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 141 | Thanked: 359 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Italy
And I as a customer looking forward to hi end Linux phones for my own, personal, daily usage.
I have no problem with cheap devices with the same system if there are some with superior hardware aviable. But without those?
Performance wise, I think the cheap phones could not be much far from N900 level performance. Which is, I think, adequate, especially if the phones are going to have smaller/lower resolution screens. And they are going to be useful for a great deal of tasks. Considering the N900 full potential has been barely tapped, I look forwards to see these meltemi devices. And who says higher end devices will not be developed, if the first model are successful?

Traditionally nokia's mid to low-end phones (s40) have had very good build quality and materials, usually better than N-Series devices.

I think at some point better specs hardly improve the user experience on a N9 form factor. After all its designed for one-handed use and has a relatively small screen. On such a device most people won't do any productive work which requires lots of computing power. That said, the n9 could need a bit more power here and there for some tasks.

It can be seen with the iphone4s, which most people probably won't buy just because it has a dual core.

Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
Traditionally nokia's mid to low-end phones (s40) have had very good build quality and materials, usually better than N-Series devices.

I think at some point better specs hardly improve the user experience on a N9 form factor. After all its designed for one-handed use and has a relatively small screen. On such a device most people won't do any productive work which requires lots of computing power. That said, the n9 could need a bit more power here and there for some tasks.

It can be seen with the iphone4s, which most people probably won't buy just because it has a dual core.
Nope. Mostly the E-series and N-series had the best hardware, better plastic/metal and such. The low end phones actually are known to break more often. Nokia's good reputations stems from N-E series and/or from phones of early 2000's. And this high end phones also tend to get more media attention.
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

Nope. Mostly the E-series and N-series had the best hardware, better plastic/metal and such. The low end phones actually are known to break more often. Nokia's good reputations stems from N-E series and/or from phones of early 2000's. And this high end phones also tend to get more media attention.
I respectfully disagree, IMO the design-oriented mid range had always good build, besides the e-series. Good general N-Series build is a relatively recent phenomena. Depends a bit on how one defines "recent"

E.g. I think the nicest nokia touch phone besides the N9 is currently the C6 (s^3 version)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rugoz For This Useful Post:
Build quality aside... I've seen now at Nokia World how the future for this meltemi platform could look like.

Have you seen the 4 symbian smartphones that were announced?

Have a look at the camera module. All of those are fixed focus cameras!
Just to say to the customers: "Hey, you wan't hi-end? Here are our shiny Windows Phones"