this is an extremely amazing and innovative idea, i have a question though, where can i find the proper rj45-serial adapter, and proper usb-db9 cable?

You need to buy a USB to Serial converter. I am not very sure, but it seems that the prolific chips have drivers built in where as the FTDI chips need to be modded in.
Search for "Prolific, iogear serial USB "on google.

You need a few things:
You need a USB to serial adapter. I have an el cheapo based upon the FTDI chipset but almost any one should be supported.
You need a way to connect the USB to serial adapter to the usb port on the N800. I used a double female USB A adapter plus the standard USB cable that came with the N800. There are USB mini B male to USB A female adapters that would work too. If you are handy and willing to make your own cables you can just splice a mini B male onto a USB to serial adapter.
You need the kernel modules linked to from this thread and you need your tablet to be root enabled.
Get a root prompt, insmod the kernel modules mentioned above, place the N800 in USB host mode with the instructions on the wiki of this website, and plug in your USB to serial adapter. You'll get an error about USB device not supported and you will get another error about a file system not found, ignore them. Then all you need is a terminal program which I provided a link to but it seems not to work for bluehash.

Bluehash: OS2007 or OS2008? I think we must be running different versions of the operating system because I have no /dev/rfcomm entries.

David

Y

The Following User Says Thank You to djs_tx For This Useful Post:
Im on 2008.

About the rfcomm. I think you need to connect your device first. Once its connected and in SPP(Serial Port profile) mode, you should see it.

I have never done it before, but from reading thats what I think. Maemo Mapper works closely on these lines, when it connects to a serial based bluetooth GPS.

Last edited by bluehash; 2008-01-02 at 22:08.

So how do I connect? I have a bluetooth GPS, it is paired (but not connected). I want to see if I can see the nmea strings in minicom. So how do I tell OS2008 to connect so the rfcomm device shows up in /dev?

David

ahh, thank you, my n800 should be coming in in the next week or so, and i plan to enable root and usb host right off the bat, i'm purchasing it as a mobile linux tool, not as an internet tablet, i love linux, and if i can have it in my pocket to fulfill my curiosity when i'm on the go, it's even better. if this is yet another use for it, then it's even more worth my money.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
Very good stuff
Originally Posted by bluehash View Post
Im on 2008.
I've packaged minicom for OS2008, give it a try (see repo in signature)

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
And now screen is also packaged for OS2008.

It could be that the installation will only work if you install it as root (but I'm not sure 100%, I have no device at the moment.. at least in scratchbox it fails due to incomplete sudo,...)

PAM support is not included.

I could always access the ports when I'm root.
Ive still to get a device for the N800 too.

Thanks for the minicom port, free