Poll: Can you use this release of Mer, on a daily basis?
Poll Options
Can you use this release of Mer, on a daily basis?

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by paulkoan View Post
What compatibility does Mer have with the existing catalog of Maemo apps out there?

I tried it out and none of the standard repositories are there by default, so I have assumed that it isn't compatible.
Excepting that we collide a bit with the Python packages in Extras (which was the reason we removed it, to get Mer foundation working), we're pretty ABI compatible, and API compatible. - Rest is just semantics of package names.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Canada
I installed mer 0.12 on my n810 last night and I have to say it's very impressive but not ready for day-to-day use.

I really like the layout that maximizes screen real estate and the inclusion of the jaunty repos is a nice touch.

I did have a few issues/suggestions:

1. The application manager dialogs didn't seem to have any way to close them
2. The vitural keyboard appeared for all text boxes. A tool to turn it off would be nice since n810 doesn't need it.
3. A tool to add items to the mer menu would be very nice. Even if it's just a cli app that takes a .desktop file and category as arguments and generates a menu entry it would be great since currently you have to launch jaunty software from xterm
4. The font size used for the mer and applications is very small. If it were larger finger usage would be a lot easier.
5. On behalf of lefties everywhere a left-handed version of the default theme would be much appreciated. The scroll bars on the left hand side goes a long way towards making the device much less frustrating

mer isn't quite ready to replace maemo but once tear and a few more hildonized apps like pidgin are ported it will certainly be close

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Excepting that we collide a bit with the Python packages in Extras (which was the reason we removed it, to get Mer foundation working), we're pretty ABI compatible, and API compatible. - Rest is just semantics of package names.
Riight. Erm. Does this mean I can add back maemo repositories into the app manager and install applications? I tried this with the fbreader repository and no apps show up.

I suspect I am missing something obvious.

I "upgraded" the 0.11 installation on my 770 through "apt-get upgrade", seems to have gone well.

Is that really all there is to it ? Any way I can check I'm actually running 0.12 now ? :-)

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Maybe I'm the last one left that just can't get Mer running on his 770. It just hangs at the end of the first load, just after entering usernames and such. The progress stops maybe at 98% from the look of it. Happened to me with 0.10, 0.11 and 0.12. Using 1GB Kingston RSMMC. Any suggestions?

Disabling swap at first start doesn't help.

Last edited by Bundyo; 2009-04-28 at 21:50.

Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Maybe I'm the last one left that just can't get Mer running on his 770. It just hangs at the end of the first load, just after entering usernames and such. The progress stops maybe at 98% from the look of it. Happened to me with 0.10, 0.11 and 0.12. Using 1GB Kingston RSMMC. Any suggestions?

Disabling swap at first start doesn't help.
I think you need at least a 2 gig card, especially if you are doing the easy setup.

From the site:

"You will need at least a 1gb MMC, and these instructions are based on OS2008HE kernel. 48mhz kernel is highly recommended

Partition MMC to:
* p1: Large ext3 partition first
* p2: 256 MB swap partition second "

Easy setup?

Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
From the site:

"You will need at least a 1gb MMC, and these instructions are based on OS2008HE kernel. 48mhz kernel is highly recommended

Partition MMC to:
* p1: Large ext3 partition first
* p2: 256 MB swap partition second "

Easy setup?
IDK, I have a one 1gb card and I did try installing mer on it and I had a similar situation. Maybe its because I did the easy install then that created 128mb fat, 256mb swap and the rest ext3.

What is the easy install and what is the hard?

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by paulkoan View Post
Riight. Erm. Does this mean I can add back maemo repositories into the app manager and install applications? I tried this with the fbreader repository and no apps show up.

I suspect I am missing something obvious.
Try sudo apt-get install extras-repository as well. Did you know you can grab most stuff from http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/ too with apt-get? Application Manager only shows things in user/ section (unless in red pill mode and show all packages) so.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Tags
day-to-day, mer, release, usable