Active Topics

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
You must have a neck on you like Tyson, Im not going to mess with you any more...

(no, I dont mean that it's black).
The n900 pouch hangs very comfortably on the clerical collar. And bounces on my... bouncy bits.. when I walk. I have very strong shoulders for weeping on.

You wouldn't mess with me anyway - NHS training in "Therapeutic management of Aggression and Violence" is useful. Besides, I can damn you to hell.

I still don't get buying a device to leave at home.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
I think key about all devices is that they serve you, not the other way around.

My N900's been with me to the loo, it's been snowboarding with me and I text with it in gentle snowfall outside. The only precaution I've taken is common sense (very thin common sense, though ;P) and a screen protector.

If you're thinking about what is an expensive device for then think about what is money good for? Spendin' !

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cjp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 28 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sheffield
I agree, its just a tool to be used.

Im an archaeologist and my N900 comes to work with me down muddy holes aplenty. In january it did two weeks down the bottom of a roman well that I was dismantling by hand - stone by stone. It seemed quite happy in my pocket. I don't use a case and haven't had chance to pick up a screen protector yet.

Its a surprisingly hardy little beast. Quite waterproof and the mud washes off the screen and keypad with a damp cloth. The worst bit is getting sand and silt out of the sliding mechanism. It makes an awful grating sound when its in there.

Im probably tempting fate by posting this however....

Posts: 95 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Southend On Sea , Uk
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
i woudn't want to wear a pouch round my neck

also, given the poor build quality of the device (mine is already falling apart after 2 months, other users report serious issues, too), i'd rather not touch it at all.
The build quality of my n900 is perfect . Mine goes everywhere with me including work and considering i'm a plumber whoes always covered in flux , tile adhesive , grout and some other disgusting stuff which could easily destroy most electrical devices my device is still in perfect workiing order and without a scratch .

The Following User Says Thank You to allmine1976 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by DarkPand0r View Post
If I have my N900 in my pocket in the CP-321 my girlfriend still has to hug me on the right hand side (my phone is in my left pocket)
Is that a N900 in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

<Rimshot!>

Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
You wouldn't mess with me anyway - NHS training in "Therapeutic management of Aggression and Violence" is useful.
So does that mean you have some aikido-like training? Or do you just carry a syringe of psychotropics around with you...?

%^) I kid! I'm interested, I have a use for something similar, but never had formal training in anything of that type. I'm in the US, btw.

Last edited by oldpmaguy; 2010-02-19 at 18:15.

Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
The n900 pouch hangs very comfortably on the clerical collar. And bounces on my... bouncy bits.. when I walk. I have very strong shoulders for weeping on.

You wouldn't mess with me anyway - NHS training in "Therapeutic management of Aggression and Violence" is useful. Besides, I can damn you to hell.

I still don't get buying a device to leave at home.
Wait.. clerical collar? The ability to damn?

I thought the 'Revd' bit of your user name was short for 'Revved Up', meaning you were .. nudge nudge wink wink,,, "a bit of a goer". I suppose this means I'll have to remove you from my "Inaugural MeeGo swingers and dogging party, 2010" possibles list..

That leaves me with a list of me.. and well that's it so far

The Following User Says Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by oldpmaguy View Post
So does that mean you have some aikido-like training? Or do you just carry a syringe of psychotropics around with you...?

%^) I kid! I'm interested, I have a use for something similar, but never had formal training in anything of that type. I'm in the US, btw.
No, the basic training is in 'de-escalation' - as in how to spot people winding up and unwind them before they hit you, then 'breakaway' - how to get out of holds, locks etc, and finally exactly how far the law will support you in self-defense. They hate me going for an update as they reckon I'm dangerous to other staff

Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
Wait.. clerical collar? The ability to damn?

I thought the 'Revd' bit of your user name was short for 'Revved Up', meaning you were .. nudge nudge wink wink,,, "a bit of a goer". I suppose this means I'll have to remove you from my "Inaugural MeeGo swingers and dogging party, 2010" possibles list..

That leaves me with a list of me.. and well that's it so far
The two need not be exlusive, you know. (Where/when's the party??)

The Following User Says Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 147 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Toronto, Canada
Originally Posted by Digbum13 View Post
I agree, its just a tool to be used.

Im an archaeologist and my N900 comes to work with me down muddy holes aplenty. In january it did two weeks down the bottom of a roman well that I was dismantling by hand - stone by stone. It seemed quite happy in my pocket. I don't use a case and haven't had chance to pick up a screen protector yet.

Its a surprisingly hardy little beast. Quite waterproof and the mud washes off the screen and keypad with a damp cloth. The worst bit is getting sand and silt out of the sliding mechanism. It makes an awful grating sound when its in there.

Im probably tempting fate by posting this however....
I've been lurking here for a few weeks, and I created an account when I bought my N900. But as my very first post, I just HAVE to ask: Why would you dismantle a Roman well?

I can only assume you wanted to move it so it could be displayed in some sort of museum. "And here we have a Roman well. Only now it's a tower"

The build quality is pretty good, I spend a lot of time with it. No protector of any kind but its always the only thing in the left pocket in my jeans, coins and keys goto the right. . i am using it rough and i believe thats how this thing should be used, whats the point of spending so much money and then not use it so much imo. M6 device will be there in few months and maybe we can buy it by the end of this year, i am pretty sure I will buy it if it doesnt have any major disappointments

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Los Angeles
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
I feel you. I wanted to use the device as intended and just put it in my pocket, but making sure I did not put anything in the same pocket as it though. But I got two huge nasty scratches on the screen. Now I can barely stand looking at it. Wish I had done like you. Actually I wish device just had a glass screen.
My friend broke the glass on her iphone, luckily when it's still insurance