Posts: 38 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Fylde Coast
I'd just like to add to the chorus of praise - thank you Trevarthan & Team for bringing THE best music player to the Tablets.

One of my (many) favorite features is the use of album art - I'm of that age where album sleeves are still very cherished possessions and handling or just seeing them allows a real connection to the music - and Kagu is the only player that displays artwork without any weird anomalies (UKMP take note!) I especially love the full screen album art view.

So here is my humble request - once an individual artist is selected via the "Artists" menu, instead of bringing up the list view of the all the tracks straight away, would it be possible to go to another menu that displays the album art for the particular artist, but enlarge the album sleeve slightly (if possible) and then maybe have a fixed button or album icon for "All Tracks" if wanted?

Kagu goes from strength to strength. Keep up the great work. I can't wait for a skin able/themed version - a black & neon theme would look fantastic

Here's a little preview of one of the features that you'll see in the upcoming 1.0.8 release:

Thanks to disq's hard work last night and Last.FM's incredible coolness we've now got artist art as well as album art!

Let's not forget the zoom:

Originally Posted by ClockworkCar View Post
So here is my humble request - once an individual artist is selected via the "Artists" menu, instead of bringing up the list view of the all the tracks straight away, would it be possible to go to another menu that displays the album art for the particular artist, but enlarge the album sleeve slightly (if possible) and then maybe have a fixed button or album icon for "All Tracks" if wanted?
Great minds think alike? I was thinking the same thing this morning while driving in to work.

ArtistView -> ArtistAlbumView -> SongsView

And yeah, we'll keep the CD+ icon on the ArtistAlbumView so you can add all songs from all albums within an artist with a single button press.

yeah, great minds think alike. it was already mentioned in this ticket: https://www.guardiani.us/projects/kagu/ticket/45

Originally Posted by ClockworkCar View Post
and Kagu is the only player that displays artwork without any weird anomalies (UKMP take note!) I especially love the full screen album art view.
I appreciate the praise. However, I feel that it's important to note that without UKMP and Canola, there would be no Kagu. I'm not trying to say that Kagu is better than either player. I'm merely trying to point out that UKMP's scrolling album art inspired Kagu's album art. In fact many things in Kagu were taken either directly or indirectly from UKMP. We owe a lot to konttori for his ideas and code.

In addition, it's important to point out that we probably wouldn't have kinetic scrolling in Kagu if I hadn't used Canola first and thought "hmmmm.... touchable media.... why not draggable media?!?" No, Kagu wasn't inspired by the iPhone. In fact, I have never used an iPhone, and we had a usable kinetic scroll widget before I saw my first iPhone commercial on TV. Kagu's kinetic scrolling was inspired almost entirely by Canola's menu system, then later by UKMP's scrolling album art (this was before UKMP had kinetic scrolling).

It's important to give credit where credit is due, and both Canola and UKMP have played a huge role in the creation of Kagu.

Originally Posted by disq View Post
yeah, great minds think alike. it was already mentioned in this ticket: https://www.guardiani.us/projects/kagu/ticket/45

I must have missed that.

[QUOTE=ascherjim;73485]Trevarthan: How embarrassing! After all this complaining on my part (in several threads!), I've just discovered that the missing music is in WMA not mp3 form. I burned it so very long ago that I didn't remember, and the N800 Media Player of course handles it fine. My heartfelt apologies. I commended you previously on your excellent and much appreciated work in the other thread, and will do so again here. Many thanks.[/QUOTE

As follow-up to the above (embarrassing) matter, I have downloaded a free WMA/mp3 converter and converted all of my 90+ WMA songs to mp3 format, and they play fine on Kagu (but unfortunately without the song titles, as those didn't get converted). Canola still doesn't recognize any of my mp3 music, but as I've stated elsewhere in this forum, it's great for my playing of internet radio stations. By the way, is there any way of editing title texts in Kagu? Anyway, thanks again for your work -- and also being there so easily to communicate with.

Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
By the way, is there any way of editing title texts in Kagu?
Not in kagu, but you could always edit the ID3 tags of your MP3s. itunes does this, I think. I personally use Amarok on linux to do ID3 tag editing.

Trevarthan: Thanks. Amarok is working fine, though the process is tedious, of course (changing the tags on 95 songs!).

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Fylde Coast
Originally Posted by disq View Post
Sorry Disq, I hadn't seen your ticket either - I just reached the same conclusion as you (& latterly Trevarthan). I wasn't treading on any toes.

Trevarthen, I wasn't dismissing UKMP (or Canola) and I appreciate the lineage and inspiration drawn from those programs - but I think your team has taken the baton and is now sprinting in front

The clumsy point I was trying to make was Kagu has been very consistent and it's ID3 info recognition is the best of the three programs. I've spent hours cleaning up all my ID3 tags and embedding album art and it's great to use an application that utilizes the information to it's full potential.

I know "Genre" ID3 information has been discussed before, but have you considered utilizing other ID3 information like "Year" or "Comments"?

Keep up great work.