Posts: 426 | Thanked: 374 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Middle East
I was intrigued by Windows Phone 7 initially when I flashed and installed it on a friend's HTC HD2 just for playing around with it.. It seemed new, smooth, responsive and keyboard seemed pretty good.

but as I played with it more, I realized I couldn't do anything except swipe on the home screen. You need an account to do anything online. Also, the OS quickly got boring.. And then I realized how this is yet another closed platform, just in a new box.

then I got my N9.. And the more I used it, the more I tweaked it, the more I played with it.. I realized.. Nothing can truly compete with an open system. You are in control of what you do in your phone, not the other way round. I borrowed a friend's n900 and when I use it, I can feel Yes, this is how a "smart phone" should be like.

Linux.. Open source community.. Still one of the most amazing thing.. But it'll never be given the props it deserves because of money eating peeps who want to commercialize what is essentially supposed to be just an aid in everyday life of a person.

F*** iOS and WP, long live MeeGo/Maemo.

Portfolio: AKstudios : : graphics with attitude.
Flickr: AKstudios
Twitter: @flopjoke

oh yeah, also, F*** Microsoft for sending Elop to try and commercialize Nokia. True innovations were always born at this company. They won't be forgotten.

Edit: and quite frankly: people behind Jolla realized how MeeGo caught everyone's attention and is amazing.. Looks more like they want to commercialize it as well. If yes, then F*** them too.

Last edited by flopjoke; 2012-09-05 at 02:58. Reason: Jolla

The Following User Says Thank You to flopjoke For This Useful Post:
Nope, first of all I don't like the monoblock design that much for bigger phones, The lumia 900 for example looks too clunky, like a big block of plastic. I prefer the galaxy s3 design to the lumia 900 (I guess the 920 looks sleeker though).

Also the lumia 920 weights 185 grams, thats just too much for me (the n900 was rarely in my pocket). 130 grams are ok, the 116 grams of the galaxy s2 are perfect.

I must also add that I'm not really satisfied with the durability of my N9. I dropped it a few times and its already severly deformed at the corners.

So the camera tech it the only thing that would have been great.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rugoz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I won't buy one, but I like that the really going foreign their own design. The rest are cheeps.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
I must also add that I'm not really satisfied with the durability of my N9. I dropped it a few times and its already severly deformed at the corners.
Oh yes, had 2-3 falls over 8 months. Top part is deformed at edges. Plus sim-tray, usb door are chipping away.

I don't want to admit it but I think the 808 PV has better built quality.
That & E7/N8

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
This Lumia 920 has the display the N9 should have had to make me keep it as eternal classic and say thank you Nokia for this beautiful goodbye gift.. That and they keyboard of course.

Oh yes, had 2-3 falls over 8 months. Top part is deformed at edges. Plus sim-tray, usb door are chipping away.
Well I wasn't perfectly honest. The polycarbonate cracked open at the bottom, a relatively large piece fell off, the screen pops out of its mounting from time to time, such that I have to push it back in. Astonishingly the USB door is still in one piece, although bent and difficult to open.

I admit my phones must endure a lot, but all my previous nokias had only some scratches after 2+ years (N82, E71, N900).

The Following User Says Thank You to Rugoz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE View Post
you know what? no, it really bothers me that people think I have a L800.
And I see that everywhere. Noone knows about the N9.

It's a shame. Great things should be recognized and appreciated
I'm glad that hasn't happened to me in the here in the States yet. I do have a ranting reply to such occasion though haha. Most people ask what kind of phone I have and after I say what it is, the conversation goes nowhere because it they don't know what it is. But then again, anyone who tries to talk some tech think open source means "jailbroken" haha. That's just my area though.

Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
Originally Posted by justadude View Post
I'm glad that hasn't happened to me in the here in the States yet. I do have a ranting reply to such occasion though haha. Most people ask what kind of phone I have and after I say what it is, the conversation goes nowhere because it they don't know what it is. But then again, anyone who tries to talk some tech think open source means "jailbroken" haha. That's just my area though.
Open Source /= Jailbroken

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

I always get "oh you have a Lumia" and I go :NO:

about the new phone.. to be honest, just replace N9's camera with Lumia 920's.. And I'm sold.

The Following User Says Thank You to flopjoke For This Useful Post: