Active Topics

Originally Posted by nocain View Post
So meego can be considered too late but a beta version of WP7 that just came out in November is not huh?
Funny how any critic of MeeGo is now automatically assumed to be a supporter of WP7 (despite the fact that I made it clear in my opening post that I believe WP7 actually makes things worse).

And FWIW, I believe that WP7 was far too late too, and that that's one of the bigger reasons for its lack of success so far.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pxa270 For This Useful Post:
Also WP7 is not backward compatible with 6.5, nor does the sdk resemble anything from 6.5 nor are the dev tools the same.

All Microsoft did was release into production an incomplete sdk and a new incomplete mobile os to get some early adopters to point out what is missing and broken... In other words they did what they usually do release beta use consumers to beta test try to get a drop on the market, fix and make product complete in the following 12-18 months after release.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nocain For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by pxa270 View Post
Funny how any critic of MeeGo is now automatically assumed to be a supporter of WP7 (despite the fact that I made it clear in my opening post that I believe WP7 actually makes things worse).

And FWIW, I believe that WP7 was far too late too, and that that's one of the bigger reasons for its lack of success so far.
There is no problem wih WP7. With help of Nokia it will success.

Reason is simple: In a year Microsoft will be as hyped as Android and Iphone is today in media because its "something new".

Microsoft has PLENTY of money too feed the media.

Nokia will loose at the end when all other mobilemanufactors go WP7 2012 also. SO the most stupid thing Nokia did (except going WP7) was that they didnt even get the rights to be the only WP7 manufactors. Stockholders knows this and thats why the stock falled 12 percent. At the same time stocks at Microsoft raced.

Simply the plan for Microsoft is world domination as always. And as always they will succes because people are stupid enought buy everything that is most hyped atm. Just take a look at the PC market. You can buy any non Microsoft computer today. Not even a keyboard without selfish Microsoft shitty logotype and that makes me wanna puke!

Personally I dont give a **** what happens to Nokia but its more bad for Trolltech engineeers (that is Qt) and Meego engineers ofcourse and open source.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-02-13 at 22:32.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
I really don't know, gerbick, and you may be right. But with scraping it like this we will NEVER know.
True, we'll not know fully... but here it stands we're faced with nothing shown a year later on any hardware that we've not seen before (read: Not on the N900)

As I said, I am no expert at all, but my gut feeling tells me Nokia's problems aren't just going to go away with a new OS.
100% agree. Sadly, I was feeling that way when MeeGo was announced. This is all déjà vu.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by jsa View Post
For me the biggest insanity in this isn't about WP7 being bad, or some ideological openness question. It's the seemingly disproportionate ratio between what Nokia is giving up (past, present and future) and what they are gaining.
This really is very similar to what happened to Sony Ericsson. They had Symbian and UIQ with more or less full control over UIQ at least. But UIQ reached a dead end (and at that point, so did Symbian as well), and eventually SE reached a point where they had to simply stop throwing money out the door. Thanks to Android they are still alive - for now.

Nokia could also go the Android route, but chose to go Windows Mobile. In the long run this will be better than Android, if they succeed. How bad it is going to be for Nokia until it becomes better, is entirely a result of how well they handle Symbian the next couple of years, but I guess MS has promised to step in with cash as well?

In the end, I don't think Nokia had much Choice. It was either Android or WP. Lucky for Nokia, MS was in a tight spot as well, so they had some leverage in the negotiations.

We should also remember that what Nokia and MS are saying now, is not necessarily what is going to happen. I still find it hard to believe that Nokia will let Symbian die just like that, and my bet is that we will see Symbian devices for a long time some way or the other.

n the end, I don't think Nokia had much Choice. It was either Android or WP.
Bull. Look at the average blokes in the shops. They don't need 200'000 apps. They want a nice UI and good basic apps. Many people I know realised they don't need many apps on their android devices, just the basics.

So Nokia would have been able to keep their market share with something better than symbian.

And especially something uniquely Nokia, that is how you keep customers. Actually its the reason why nokia until now still sold more symbian devices than all others android devices.
It is also how apple survived in times of crisis.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rugoz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted by jsa View Post
For me the biggest insanity in this isn't about WP7 being bad, or some ideological openness question. It's the seemingly disproportionate ratio between what Nokia is giving up (past, present and future) and what they are gaining.
They haven't given up anything. It was already gone. Major markets viewed Symbian the way they viewed station wagons... as outdated. Smart phones are the future and new buyers were not going to buy Symbian. Android is appearing on cheaper and cheaper phones, and Symbian can't compete against Android. It's done. Game over.

You can mourn a loved one, but if you leave them around for too long after they're gone they're only going to stink up the place. Elop brought a shovel and he's finally burying the corpse. Now, Nokia can move on with their lives.

The Following User Says Thank You to alcalde For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted by cBeam View Post
You're probably right. But this also means that Elop is a weak leader.

Steve Jobs did not sell off Apple. He re-innovated.
Did I miss the sale of Nokia? Apple entered new markets. Nokia isn't in a position to do that, so Elop did the only thing he could do to fix problems NOW before the company entered a death spiral. What do you think Nokia should have done if MeeGo wasn't an option? Ask everybody to work harder and just kinda think of something better really quick isn't an option either. MS offers full customization; Google doesn't. And your decision is to do what, and why?

People are either complaining about the decision without offering an alternative, or they're in denial of the stated facts and offering implausible alternatives.

The Following User Says Thank You to alcalde For This Useful Post:
The question is: What will make me wait for Nokia and not buy a WP7 device now? I don't wanna buy it now, and won't buy it in a year.

Good luck Mr. Flop.

Originally Posted by alcalde View Post
Did I miss the sale of Nokia? Apple entered new markets. Nokia isn't in a position to do that, so Elop did the only thing he could do to fix problems NOW before the company entered a death spiral. What do you think Nokia should have done if MeeGo wasn't an option?.
Meego was an option. We've seen android, WebOS, QNX from RIM. Do you think Nokia is too stupid to put together a decent OS?

And Apple did not resurge by entering new markets, they just made more desirable products. The iPhone came in 2007, before that Apple was already going strong again.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rugoz For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, meego rip