Active Topics

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by tso View Post
This comes down to what one see a "traditional" desktop task.

they can clearly already do browsing, audio and video playback, and even games. Tho i suspect multimedia editing may give it pause, depending on the resolution of the source data. But how "traditional" is that, exactly?
Of course, you are right -- it's variable.

I think something akin to ATOM performance would qualify for most users. I own a netbook, and it can quite comfortably handle most tasks, though the heavy ones are somewhat painful, though still usable.

In any case, next generation ARM should meet ATOM in performance and certainly work as a netbook replacement for even traditional OSs. Interestingly enough, linux distros seem to be the only ones positioned to take advantage of this.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Unless/until we get the same os running on both hardware types, and can therefor try the same workloads, it will be hard to tell if the cortex series will match, have matched or perhaps even surpassed atom.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I'm afraid to say that, the N900 is falling back....

Originally Posted by Jade Robertson View Post
I'm afraid to say that, the N900 is falling back....
it's not falling anywhere, it is aging in a very quickly moving market.
consider where smartphones were two-three years ago. expect as much change the next two-three years.

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
What is the advantage of this docking station over existing models of computer-smartphone integration? I would think the only reason you would do this would be an easy way to access/edit your files on a larger screen and with a larger keyboard. It would seem to me that if you are going to carry something as bulky as a netbook, you would want the extra processing power as well.

Plugging the phone into a laptop/netbook and using Ovi Suite (or similar software) would seem to do the trick without sacrificing processing power.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by tso View Post
Unless/until we get the same os running on both hardware types, and can therefor try the same workloads, it will be hard to tell if the cortex series will match, have matched or perhaps even surpassed atom.
Well T20, as powerful as it is, simply shows sub-par browser performance compared to even IE8 running on 1st gen Atom -- an app certainly not optimized for mobile. Not scientific, but I'm quite certain that it's an indication that ARM isn't there yet.

What the future will hold is another story.

I guess it's a great phone.
BUT, how about support.
(same with n900, great phone, but zero nokia support. altough a great community)

Posts: 242 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ UK/Scotland
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...light=motorola

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...light=motorola

Cantonese Pen Power Input is only available in Hong Kong...SUX!

The Following User Says Thank You to Ykho For This Useful Post:
I've used VNC through USB-networking on N900 and also X-applications on N900 using PC as a console.
I am sure many have.

Using video-out with USB-mouse and keyboard is closer to that demo though.

But, yes it is pretty cool. HDMI-output is nice to have but I hope Nokia will put also the 3.5mm AV-output in future devices.

I wonder how easy that Atrix is inserted to that docking station so both HDMI and microUSB connectors plug in properly.

Tags
android, atrix, lame idea, lockdown, motorola, nocyanogen, nokia sucks, nokiasucksballs