Active Topics

well some of the repos seems to be broken, downloading deb files gets me a text file with.

"The service is temporarily unavailable. We are very sorry for the inconvinience it may cause."

curious these are always the same files, so we have to wait untill nokia fix this, i guess

flashing doesn't realy help here.

I suppose not only the repos are broken but I can't even get the upgrade file to download..says it will take 300 minutes. I suppose everybody in the world is trying to upgrade their N800's at the moment. May have to wait a couple weeks huh

flduude99 : there are torrents available if you search, but once upgraded you will find the repos in a similar sorry state, and have big probs installing apps.

I don't know how to mess with torrents (let alone what the heck they are) so I'm hoping the upgrade file will move a little better after a couple weeks..I'm in no rush...the darn thing has been collecting dust for the better part of 3 or 4 months anyhow

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Reading UK
On Friday I installed OS2008 v50 on 32 N800's with no problem. It did take over 4h to download the file (starting at 11.30pm).

We now have a problem. We have 8 SU8W keyboards and are having considerable difficulty pairing them. Mine took 6 attempts- others simply have not paired at all. One or two paired first time.

Anyone else come across this problem- or can advise us what to do?

And if you are wondering why we have 32 N800's I'm a primary school teacher in Reading UK and we have a class set of N800's. The children are asking me via our Learning Platform what to do about installing the keyboards even though it was the last day of term yesterday (Friday).

Thanks

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
That's neat that you have so many N800's!

Have you personally been unable to pair them following the exact same procedure that you personally used to pair the ones that did pair?

I would imagine that the person who sold you 32 N800s or the keyboards might have an interest in this issue.

I suppose the children can use the onscreen keyboards that come with the N800 -- that's what I use almost all the time, and I have a bluetooth keyboard but rarely use it.

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Paris, France
Have your tried reformatting your internal memory card? Maybe some applications need to access it. I had mine corrupted and reformatted before I could do anything. Just my 2c.

Good luck.
Antonio

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Pilgram View Post
On Friday I installed OS2008 v50 on 32 N800's with no problem. It did take over 4h to download the file (starting at 11.30pm).

We now have a problem. We have 8 SU8W keyboards and are having considerable difficulty pairing them. Mine took 6 attempts- others simply have not paired at all. One or two paired first time.

Anyone else come across this problem- or can advise us what to do?

And if you are wondering why we have 32 N800's I'm a primary school teacher in Reading UK and we have a class set of N800's. The children are asking me via our Learning Platform what to do about installing the keyboards even though it was the last day of term yesterday (Friday).

Thanks
I'm wondering why you installed a new OS on all 32 devices before you had tested it on one or two devices first to find out whether it was sensible to then blow away the remaining 30.

Great idea to use the N800s in the classroom though, credit to you there. Hope you find a solution to your keyboard problem soon.

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Reading UK
Why didn't I check it

Well, I supposed I trusted Nokia- I've had a lot of contact with various people, and then I'd tried the previous version of OS2008 on my N800 and found no problems. Many of the N800's were on OS2007 with a pre Mozilla browser. We have had various problems- such as Notes deciding that when it reloads the text comes up with html formatting which does tend to confuse the kids just a little! It was also the last day of term and I had the time to do it- as you can imagine doing 34 systems is a bit time consuming and I knew the day before Christmas holidays was the only chance I'd have until... well who knows when!

Having said that it all went very well, although about 5 N800's lost the proxy settings and WAP key which had to be put back in- even more time consuming than updating the software. Once this was done the only problem that I know about is the SU8W keyboard- and this is working on most of the N800's.

Mind you, some might not have told me they have problems!

The children love using the devices. Is anyone else out there using them in education?

Pilgram

Originally Posted by Pasi_N800 View Post
Just flashed my n800 third time (tried flashing from linux and from windows) and didn't restore any backups but still can't install anything. I tried fixing the application repositories (and tried several different combinations). When trying to install applications from .deb files the application manager still prompts the dull and uninformative "Unable to install <application name>" whether I install a deb file I've downloaded or try to install directly from any repository. I cannot use apt-get from command line since sudo fails to accept "rootme" as root passwd. The application managers error box doesn't provide any information why the installation fails.

The application manager does connect to repositories and is able to refresh available applications but installation from repositories fails before it even downloads the file.

I don't thinks the problem can be slow repositories since offline installation fails too...

Anyone else having same kind of problems? How can I overcome it?

Thanks!
I've been going at this for a few days now, having exactly the same failures before the file would begin downloading. After a couple of frustrating days, it turned out that there was an easy solution...remove all of your memory cards from the N800 before trying to load applications. I had a 2G PNY SD card (the "Internal memory card" on my setup) that became corrupted sometime during the first flash when I tried to restore the backup files. As soon as I took it out of the N800, the downloads started working without reflashing the device. I tried it last night at about 1230 MST, and every app download worked perfectly - there's a reason my local Best Buy sells 4G PNY SD cards for $40 US while the same 4G SanDisk SD card costs twice as much!

Give it a try, and hopefully you will have success too.