Active Topics

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by ironm8 View Post
I actually tend to agree with the basis of this rant.
Nokia are being relatively hypocrit about this all.
After years and years of making phones, No phone should dop calls! this is a BASIC feature you know, making calls.
So if thats what Nokia is proud of this days i must say it is pathetic.
I was under the impression this went a little different from the way you are telling this. There was a bakery called Apple, that made some type of bread that was not very eatable. So, in reaction to complaints, the baker gave a press conference where he announced a nice cup of milk, free of charge, to anyone who bought the brick hard bread, so they could soak it in the milk and still eat it, even if they did no longer have any teeth or had no teeth just yet. At that same press conference, the baker also suggested that all other bakers make bread that is uneatable. Hence a couple of the other bakers, amongst those to be Nokia, announced that their bread could actually be eaten without sokaing it first.

So, tell me, why is this hypocricy of the Nokia baker?

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by anthonie View Post
I was under the impression this went a little different from the way you are telling this. There was a bakery called Apple, that made some type of bread that was not very eatable. So, in reaction to complaints, the baker gave a press conference where he announced a nice cup of milk, free of charge, to anyone who bought the brick hard bread, so they could soak it in the milk and still eat it, even if they did no longer have any teeth or had no teeth just yet. At that same press conference, the baker also suggested that all other bakers make bread that is uneatable. Hence a couple of the other bakers, amongst those to be Nokia, announced that their bread could actually be eaten without sokaing it first.

Apple, in reaching for the stars with its Antennae design has fallen on its face (although it could have been corrected at the design stage).

Nokia the old, out of touch "hypocritical baker" as you put it, shouldn't be quick to take shots for something they have done well for years but should look to take leaves out of Apples behavior and approach to the consumer and to the phone game.

There are a list of Nokia mess ups we could name that were handled less than admirably. Now bake another analogy.

Last edited by imperiallight; 2010-07-17 at 12:54.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to imperiallight For This Useful Post:
Though I think the antenna thing was overblown, I think Apple brought it upon themselves. Apple constantly hypes itselfs, and boasts about its extreme attention to detail (just watch one of those weird Ives videos). That sort of behavior and the hype begs people to obsess over your products. Every flaw gets as amplified as a result, as does every feature (I know a few people that think Apple invented video calling because of Facetime hype). Have to stew in your own pot. Can't feel sorry for you.
I do think Nokia was hypocritical to mock the antenna issue, since some of their phone manuals actually note this as a potential problem.
I personnaly am satisfied with my N900 as is, but think fanboy-ism from any camp is strange.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to lancewex For This Useful Post:
*grabs bread*

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
Apple constantly hypes itselfs, and boasts about its extreme attention to detail (just watch one of those weird Ives videos). That sort of behavior and the hype begs people to obsess over your products. Every flaw gets as applified as a result
Much better to claim your products are tripe. Then people will have lower expectations and its covers your backside. I like it.

Hang on... didn't Nokia already do that with the n900?

The Following User Says Thank You to imperiallight For This Useful Post:
Changed title.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
Originally Posted by imperiallight View Post
Apple, in reaching for the stars with its Antennae design has fallen on its face (although it could have been corrected at the design stage).

Nokia the hypocritical baker as you put it, shouldn't be quick to take shots for something they have done well for years but should look to take leaves out of Apples behavior and approach to the consumer and to the phone game.

There are a list of Nokia mess ups we could name that were handled less than admirably. Now bake another analogy.
For the record I too agree that Nokia should focus more on keeping deadlines and supporting users better.

But I can understand this statement to a certain extent. Apple violated patents when developing iPhone 2G, 3G and 3GS that involved Nokia's antennae design.

Now apparently with iPhone 4, they didn't use Nokia's design..and well..we all know what happened. Apple instead of admitting a design flaw said that users are holding their phone wrong, and pointed their fingers at other companies, claiming that their phones too suffer from these problems.

So Apple affronted Nokia twice now. Maybe not directly, but they did. So I do not blame Nokia for this statement, but they should definitely focus their efforts to improve their current flaws, instead of pointing out their competitors ones.

Last edited by pantera1989; 2010-07-17 at 12:44.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pantera1989 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by anthonie View Post

Tell me this, if Apple were to accuse Nokia for not fixing issues with their devices and/or releasing an immature product while having to face fire from their antenna problems. Wouldnt say that apple is hyprocrite? its shouldnt be about getting some of the stuff right, it about making it all right.(Nokia: "Hey look! Our antennas are fine! come to this side of the fence!")

Well, thats exacly what Nokia just did with this pointless remark.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by ironm8 View Post

Well, thats exacly what Nokia just did with this pointless remark.
Nokia just responded to claims made by Apple. Apple chose to try washing away their problems by involving competion to their own mess Nokia, RIM et al. responding to to Apple's claims is not pointless.

RIM put it well on their response: "Apple's attempt to draw RIM into Apple's self-made debacle is unacceptable"

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
But that is not what Apple said. They claimed they were not the only manufacturer that faced antenna problems. So it was far from a generic statement about the quality of service of Apples' competitors but a very specific accusation on the antenna issue. There are lots of problems for Nokia to face, but afaik, this is not one of them.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:

Tags
delete me, free publicity, n900 is perfect, worstthreadever