Notices

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
While lying in bed I thought of a possible "objective mode" for Slysics.

The objective would be to make the sledder go from Point A to Point B, which would be placed randomly and are unmovable. You then need to draw your lines and get to Point B. The score could be based off of how few lines you draw to reach your goal, or the time it takes, or a combination of the two. I think it would make a good "party" game where you can pass the tablet from player to player and try to beat each others scores.

For a more difficult mode, objects blocking your path could be placed within the world.

I think it would be fun, the only controls that would need to be added would be a zoom in/zoom out mode so you can see where you need to go (and not constantly scrolling)

Posts: 110 | Thanked: 215 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Earth, 38.830000, -77.00000
Originally Posted by Nelson L. Squeeko View Post
While lying in bed I thought of a possible "objective mode" for Slysics.

The objective would be to make the sledder go from Point A to Point B, which would be placed randomly and are unmovable. You then need to draw your lines and get to Point B. The score could be based off of how few lines you draw to reach your goal, or the time it takes, or a combination of the two. I think it would make a good "party" game where you can pass the tablet from player to player and try to beat each others scores.

For a more difficult mode, objects blocking your path could be placed within the world.

I think it would be fun, the only controls that would need to be added would be a zoom in/zoom out mode so you can see where you need to go (and not constantly scrolling)
Wow, very nice idea, I'll see what I can do . Though, the zooming might be a bit difficult. I was reserving that feature for maemo5 as it has GLES. But I guess I could give it another shot on maemo4.

The Following User Says Thank You to Firebird8 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 110 | Thanked: 215 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Earth, 38.830000, -77.00000
If anyone can't figure out the GUI, here's some "Documentation":
To change line colors on either the pencil tool or line tool:
-Select the tool, then push it and drag up.

If you get lost and want to return back to the spawn:
-Select the move tool, then push the icon again and drag up (get the idea?)

To set an initial velocity:
-Drag up on the play button

Pausing allows you to edit if you didn't know

To set an initial spawn angle:
-Push and hold the spawn until it becomes red, then drag in a direction. To set it back to zero, push, hold, and let go when it goes red.

To move the spawn around:
-Drag the spawn.

Lines:
-Orange accelerates in current direction
-Sand/Tan decelerates
-Green is normal

Trace Lines:
-Black is the sled
-Blue is the body
-Red is the hat
-Green is the head
-Violet is the arm
-Yellow is the leg

The Following User Says Thank You to Firebird8 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
If zooming out is a problem, then an arrow pointing towards the goal with a distance could work as a substitute.

(that's distance and direction from the current position your viewing)

Hmm, interesting, it should go back into ondemand mode when you close it. Can you try running "slysics-cpu-onde" ?

Something interesting about the physics of the game.

I've had different results from the same track.

Sometimes the guy flips on jumps, and sometimes he doesn't. Kinda messes with planning an awesome track.

Originally Posted by Firebird8 View Post
Edit 5:
Oh yea, don't forget to make your tracks robust for change, each simulation doesn't go through exactly the same as the last .
Yea, it's a side effect of using Box2D which isn't really consistent as it wasn't meant for this kind of sim where you do repetitive things over and over again expecting the same results. Though, I look at it as a challenge to make your tracks more robust, I have actually gotten pretty far in a track design even with the variations.

*Fun fact, every other or third simulation, or x number is the same for some reason

Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
is there a way to see what the governor is set at at any given time?
If you have the "Advanced Power" applet it has an optional "CPU Policy" sub-menu which shows a dot next to the currently selected governor.

Otherwise you can run ' cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor ' to see it.

The Following User Says Thank You to iKneaDough For This Useful Post:
Posts: 221 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sendai, Japan
Very cool. It installed without a problem and I just finished my first run on it. The little guy ran down an epic hill, jumped a jagged mountain peak, skipped over a sarlacc pit, but was finally taken out by some low hanging tree branches. Nice work.

Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
Thank you, sir.

[...]

Hey, while I'm here, I've noticed that sometimes when I'm drawing the slope, the line breaks up as I'm drawing it, leaving little holes. Is that normal / expected?
Yea, I made the min line length 5pixels, so if you draw really slowly it will break up. Though, I'm not too fond of the pencil tool, its too difficult to make a nice curve. The line tool is so much better :P.

Tags
entertainment, fun, game, slysics, time killer