Posts: 90 | Thanked: 580 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Belgium
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Have you use Google Play Store? If not are you side loading? Have you tried Fdroid to get apps? My guess is it will be awhile before a fully working version is on this device, but has anyone tried to chroot Debian.
Actually I think this shouldn't be a problem (or a while), nothing really special needs to be done other than having android working normally. Termux seems to be the most popular thing lately (a terminal emulator and chroot environment that come together), I have tried it (not on Pro1 tho) and it seems to work quite nicely. The lack of a HWKB on my current phone prevented me from caring to play with it much though. It does not need root to work even.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to netman For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
But so I'm very eager to here of benchmarking and other Os possibilities.
Since i forgot my laptop charger for a 3 day trip i am currently doing you requested test as a laptop replacement. So far, no problems.

Main feat yesterday evening was to set up a vpn on my remote fritzbox via browser and nicely copy and past the credential into the android settings. alt+tab and ctrl+c ctrl+v ftw.

Emails are quick to answer with the kbd.
firefox sync helped a lot to get started quickly.

regarding Benchmarks, to me it is quite uninteresting.
It was fun to compare the 4 sailfish devices available some years back but it makes no sense with the android pro1 since it just runs like any other High end device from early last year. Awesomely fast.

Anyway, would like to write more but am on business trip. Maybe if you got aquestion i could answer more dedicated.
That is also the reason why i did not play with sfos...

*written on Pro1 in less than 5 min*

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Any opinions on this?
https://community.fxtec.com/topic/25...alled-for-ota/

There are comments from Chen and Erik in there as well, so be sure to read the whole thread to get the whole picture.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Shirabe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
Read it. Firstly it has been a bummer needing to use a bad reputation company for update system. It would have been great if team would have understood what kind of a fuzz it will cause when people notice it.

But - I understand why they haven't bothered. After the company got caught it had to change the updater, there are no more the parts in the software that were the problem, it got Google's security certification, and because it has a lot of customers I believe the working of the software has been audited since constantly and in detail.

This is why I think F(x)team should not be blamed on using it, but thinking of the targeted customers (privacy oriented geeks, hackers and folio hats) it was a mistake not to mark it in capital letters on the disclaimer of the device: FOR NOW WE USE OTA UPDATER FROM A COMPANY CAUGHT ON SPYING! THIS IS WHY:... And then explaining why they do it and trust it and such.

It would have been wise - or not. If the company and the updater are now trustworthy, it is rising up blames and claims which are unneccessary and not true. Very difficult situation to decide what to do and what is wise. Here are people who mind, who don't mind, who trust and who don't trust. Normally those who don't trust are the loudest. It doesn't mean those who doesn't trust anything and see ghosts behind every corner are the only ones with a right mind and right opinion.

What puzzles me though with the thread is that many suspected that the suspicious company updater would not be needed anymore after the device got Google certificate - but the team has not commented on that. Many now suspect that on the next update they would get rid of that suspicious partner from their system - but it is a suspicion, not priomise from the F(x)team.

Can it be removed or not? If it can, why no comments about it? If not, how to comment, what to say? So yes, the case is still open and the thread does not yet include any conversation ending answers.

If F(x)team would announce that they will push an urgent update to remove that stuff so that no one needs to have any doubts - even though the team itself has not have them and they absolutely guarantee that everything has been secure all the time - that could end the thread from growing with suspicion and spreading around on different forums.

That is the fastest way of marketing - people having doubts and alerting others. Stopping that, preventing that should really be their concern number one for the moment. Much worse than having shipping delays is loosing reputation concerning privacy matters.

Hope they can pull this suspicion electrifying plug off quickly.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

Last edited by Maemish; 2019-11-27 at 09:02.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Can it be removed or not? If it can, why no comments about it? If not, how to comment, what to say? So yes, the case is still open and the thread does not yet include any conversation ending answers.
It matters only if you're going to use stock firmware. LineageOS or Sailfish won't have it anyway. But otherwise, I think the problem is exaggerated. E. g. Gemini PDA used it as well for the updates and it is common for many other devices.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to TheKit For This Useful Post:
What puzzles me though with the thread is that many suspected that the suspicious company updater would not be needed anymore after the device got Google certificate - but the team has not commented on that. Many now suspect that on the next update they would get rid of that suspicious partner from their system - but it is a suspicion, not priomise from the F(x)team.

I'm not well versed into these things, but I think people are conflating 2 things to be the same. I think that if you'd do the entire process through Google, you have to first pay and get the device/firmware certified, and then pay to use Google's services to send the firmware to devices. There are separate costs here for Google, one to pay people examining the device to certify it, and one for server costs to host and upload the firmware from.

Seems that F(x)tec chose to do the first thing via Google, in order to get support for Google Pay and the like. But chose to do the second thing via a third party, probably because it's cheaper than Google but doesn't have any direct negatives like no longer having Google Pay support.

So, just because they got Google's certification doesn't mean they can just change to a different OTA provider. They probably could, but whether they have Google's certification isn't really relevant to this I think. It would come down to if F(x)tec thinks it's better to use a different OTA provider, and if they can afford it. But again, I'm not that well versed in this either.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Shirabe For This Useful Post:
So, I'm on the verge of investing in one of these gadgets.
Judging by what I've read, it seems so easy to reflash with SailfishOS, way easier than a Sony anyway, but first I got some questions.

I don't intend to use it with Android, so I'll be reflashing it almost immediately out of the box.
What is the device like under SailfishOS?
Is it worth it, or should I wait? I'm not sure how far Jolla have got with the porting of Sailfish. I know there's a community build about.

Does it get SailfishOS updates OTA?

Thanks in advance.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stickymick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 74 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Norway
@stickymick

There is a thread with initial impressions over at the fxtec forum. there seems to be some key areas not functioning at the moment (like mobile data) so might want to give it a few updates before going all in, unless you want to help develop of coruse

First Impressions Sailfish (3.2.0.12) on the Pro1

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to electristan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by electristan View Post
@stickymick

There is a thread with initial impressions over at the fxtec forum. there seems to be some key areas not functioning at the moment (like mobile data) so might want to give it a few updates before going all in, unless you want to help develop of coruse

First Impressions Sailfish (3.2.0.12) on the Pro1
Thankees.
I'll wizz over and have a browse when I have more time.
I don't know the first thing about developing for Sailfish. I've tinkered with the VM on my Ubuntu laptop a couple of times, but other than that.......

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stickymick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 74 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Norway
Very much in the same boat All i can do is point out issues.

The dream is to have a great port, or even better at full Sailfish X for the Pro1, let see if it happens.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to electristan For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit