Posts: 271 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Georgia
Anbody know if I could pair this bad boy with my tablet for voip?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Xbox-360-W...ndingMethod=rr

The Following User Says Thank You to crasbelize For This Useful Post:
Posts: 395 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Boone, IA
@danramos

Hey Dan....

Since you have both the Nook Color and the Galaxy Tab....

I am really leaning toward the NC, but as the WiFi only Tab is now available for $350...

Is the GPS, motion sensors, (camera..blah),etc worth the exrtra $100 for the Tab?

Thanks

Sno

N800 (retired...soon to eBay)
Favorite Apps: CommunitySSU,DiabloTurbo, Flipclock, Keepnote, Dialcentral, Gizmo5 ,MediaBox/pyFMradio, Telescope,Diablo5 theme, Tear, Personal Menu/Launcher, OMWeather,Blubbels, Advanced Power/Backlight...now to play with Garnet6...

The Following User Says Thank You to Snoshrk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by crasbelize View Post
Anbody know if I could pair this bad boy with my tablet for voip?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Xbox-360-W...ndingMethod=rr
Ooh! This is an easy one since I own an XBOX 360, Nintendo Wii and a Samsung Galaxy Tab and I've tried all sorts of stuff like this before!

Nintendo Wiimotes and many Playstation 3 accessories are all bluetooth.
XBOX 360 wireless accessories are not Bluetooth. So, nope!

Even if you did get a headset and paired it successfully for phone calls, I've yet to hear or anyone successfully using bluetooth to do VOIP in Android in general (on any Android device). It seems that the microphone never wants to work with VOIP software. This might have been fixed in 2.3.x, now that VOIP is backed into the OS's phone stack--I haven't tried it on my Droid which is on 2.3.x yet, but I'm reasonably sure you aren't running 2.3.x on your Samsung Galaxy Tab anyway.

Originally Posted by Snoshrk View Post
@danramos

Hey Dan....

I am really leaning toward the NC, but as the WiFi only Tab is now available for $350...

Is the GPS, motion sensors, (camera..blah),etc worth the exrtra $100 for the Tab?

Thanks

Sno
Yes. Oh God... yes. Plus the physical device is a LOT lighter than a Nook Color, even though the Nook Color is a thinner (generally smaller) device. It's a weird irony. The biggy here is that the camera--even just for barcode scanning ALONE--is worth it. Tethering the Tab to another device and using the GPS will ALSO be a very, very big deal and you'll thank me later for suggesting that it's worth it. The motion sensors seem to be the same on both, though I find the Galaxy Tab is a bit smoother about it.. but the Nook Color's is good enough to be useful and fun.

In the end, though, for the extra $100--GPS and cameras are VERY much worthwhile. Although, you also have to consider that the Galaxy Tab hasn't turned out to be the most hackable thing ever... the Nook Color is a hacking DREAM and virtually impossible to brick if you're a newbie that wants to learn how to root, ROM and throw CyanogenMod or Ultimate Droid onto the thing.

By the way, CyanogenMod 7 STABLE has been released (even though I'm still flashing nightlies onto my mom's tablet) and it's INCREDIBLY PERFECT now. It's definitely made the Nook a very, very responsive, beautiful tablet and it works GREAT! Video plays smoothly and at full-screen! The full-screen hacks are GREAT! Now you can force the status bar to STAY on the screen even with full-screen apps (like Angry Birds)... and even if you tap the DISAPPEAR button (to make the bar disappear), you can assign a REAPPEAR button to any key (I assigned it to the NOOK button) and it WORKS! Incredibly--it works GREAT! I'm impressed with the Nook Color and CyanogenMod combo! About the only two things I'm disappointed with, so far, is that there is no cifs.ko in the build for the Nook Color (so, no mounting Windows/Samba shares--fooey!) and the Bluetooth is still not working yet (apparently, they claim to be running into problems with the drivers or something).
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Last edited by danramos; 2011-04-17 at 08:43.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by Snoshrk View Post
@danramos

Hey Dan....

Thanks

Sno
Let me just add that the nook color does not have hardware gfx acceleration when you install custom firmware... so things are choppy and games are probably unplayable.

I got mine for ebook reading (kindle) and it works pretty good for that, cept that it's still kind of heavy for the size and page turns are not butter.

So yeah, get butter.

@danramos: do you use cyanogen on your gTab? I love the buttom-bar of CM7 no my nook.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
@danramos: do you use cyanogen on your gTab? I love the buttom-bar of CM7 no my nook.
Nope--seeing as how I depend on my Galaxy Tab a LOT, I won't run it yet until they concentrate on putting out something officially supported by CyanogenMod and released as STABLE (thus far, it's been shoehorned onto the Galaxy Tab by various people but the CM people don't officially support it, even though there's been demand for it in the forums).

I actually prefer the top-bar, myself. On my mom's nook, we set it for the top so that it's consistent with the other Android devices... but isn't it nice that we can have such choices?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Oh yes! In case anybody missed it from this thread:
How to: Use Wireless Tethering on a Samsung Galaxy Tab

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@dan: ah ok...

yeah, choices and customizability are great... I set the status bar on the bottom so the 'menu' and 'back' virtual buttons are easier to reach, honeycomb-style
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
WHOO! I'm watching the latest episode of Fringe and it showed Astrid handing Walter a Samsung Galaxy Tab that she loaded the show "Zoom" (PBS) on it for him. Nice.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
I was looking to import a NookC but the $200 deals off. The cheapest I can find on eBay are $210-$240. Plus shipping which is $30. So for $30-$60 more I can get:
-local Aus warranty
-a better processor (SPC550>OMAP3620)
-3G and (quadbandGSM) telephony
-aGPS, digital compass, gyro
-dual cameras
-the droid buttons

Seems like its worth it, though I hate:
7" form factor (An 8.9" or even an 4:3 9" would be better)
lack of USB OTG
and lack of HDMI out
... ... still a great car dock, note taker, webbrowser, video player

Last edited by Kangal; 2011-04-17 at 13:30.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
I was looking to import a NookC but the $200 deals off. The cheapest I can find on eBay are $210-$240. Plus shipping which is $30. So for $30-$60 more I can get:
-local Aus warranty
-a better processor (SPC550>OMAP3620)
-3G and (quadbandGSM) telephony
-aGPS, digital compass, gyro
-dual cameras
-the droid buttons

Seems like its worth it, though I hate:
7" form factor (An 8.9" or even an 4:3 9" would be better)
lack of USB OTG
and lack of HDMI out
... ... still a great car dock, note taker, webbrowser, video player
The 7" form factor may grow on you. However, if you're talking about the Tab, it does have HDMI out via the dock. I recall seeing them for not too much money, though they are much more expensive than they should be.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy