Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
SonyEricsson's official bootloader unlock site has gone live!
http://unlockbootloader.sonyericsson.com/

They mention this, which is quite bold and quite welcome:
It is possible to unlock the boot loader for certain releases of Sony Ericsson Android™ phone models from 2011 and onwards.
A great step in the right direction! This means no more hacking to take control of your device.

Xperia's stock just went up a few points in the Capt'n's market: the Super stock exchange (SEX).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
This is really, really cool. It seems that Sub-Saharan African countries are enamored with Android, where mobile devices *are* the computers, and the market is growing quickly.

It is growing so much so that Google is kicking off a developer challenge with a $25,000 grand prize for innovative applications:

http://android-developers.blogspot.c...b-saharan.html

The Android Developer Challenge is designed to encourage the creation of cool and innovative Android mobile apps built by developers in Sub-Saharan Africa. Invent apps that delight users and you stand a chance to win an Android phone and $25,000 USD. To get started, choose from one of three defined eligible categories (see below), build an Android app in a team or by yourself, and submit it via the competition website by July 1st. The winning app will be announced on September 12th at G-Kenya. Get more details as well as Terms and Conditions on our site.
Android continues to gain momentum, and Google's efforts continue to surge forward. A win for open.

I'm still patiently waiting until a project effectively bridges the divide between Android and traditional linux in both directions. Perhaps some of you have some ideas to this end?

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
Moved to a new country and tried to get 3G internet on my tab. Have not had any luck even after requesting settings from mobile network provider and installing settings. On N900 I could get it to work without any issues. Any tips?

On a separate but somewhat related issue I have noticed that when I switch on my Tab it seems to manufacture an internet connection from somewhere. This was happening before I put a sim in so is clearly some kind of wireless access. When I switch on the device I receive push email and some facebook status messages and have also received whatsapp messages. But when I search for wireless networks I don't find any. Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this spooky occurence.
Any more luck with this? Can anyone lend a hand?

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
From the, it-was-only-a-matter-of-time dept. According to inmobi, Android has surpassed iOS in global ad impressions.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/04/and...ly-surpass-pc/

In this game, anything can happen, but it seems as if only Android and iOS are bringing the heat.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
This is not a bad idea at all! I'll take it a step up. I'd gladly take auto-tinting of the windows when the car is off -- LCD, baby! Wooo! This way, the entire internal contents are hidden when the car is off.

My only concern would be an ultra-reliable mechanism, as it would suck if an electronic error tinted the windows while driving!
Just remember, LCD becomes dark when power is APPLIED (however little power it takes, it's still power), and clear in the absence of power. The electricity causes the crystals to align (blocking light), and when power goes away the crystals float around in any orientation, allowing light to stream through. I'm not sure I'd want my car to use up MORE power when it's turned off.

Maybe if it was connected to its own battery with a solar panel recharger.

SonyEricsson's official bootloader unlock site has gone live!
http://unlockbootloader.sonyericsson.com/

They mention this, which is quite bold and quite welcome:

A great step in the right direction! This means no more hacking to take control of your device.

Xperia's stock just went up a few points in the Capt'n's market: the Super stock exchange (SEX).
OK.. yes. I might just have to get one when I replace my Droid. Sony would have managed to win me back after several years of hating them. Nice.

Any more luck with this? Can anyone lend a hand?
Can't help, here... I don't use GSM and don't really travel around outside the US. :P
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Just remember, LCD becomes dark when power is APPLIED (however little power it takes, it's still power), and clear in the absence of power. The electricity causes the crystals to align (blocking light), and when power goes away the crystals float around in any orientation, allowing light to stream through. I'm not sure I'd want my car to use up MORE power when it's turned off.
Conventionally yes, this is true. However, what actually happens is that when power is applied, the liquid crystals twist the polarity of the light (from an initially polarized bottom polarizer) such that the light and the top polarized layer have a different polarity and light is blocked from being transmitted through. It should be feasible to allow the transmission of light when power is applied by simply changing the configuration of the top polarizer (yawing it 90deg relative to the polarizer beneath the LCD)!
A great vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiejNAUwcQ8

Even a MEMS or 'e-ink' esque solution should be possible requiring power only on a shift. Again, it's a play on polarity of light with multiple layers.

My only concern would be a loss of visibility if there was a crack in the glass!

Posts: 306 | Thanked: 350 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sydney
Asus Australia replied to my post on their Facebook page:

Asus Australia
Hi Hugo, the RRP for Eee Pad Transformer is from AU$599.
Not confirmed if that price includes the keyboard dock...
If it does, it is only roughly +$50 than the US price for the bundle.
I can live with that.

IF this price is without the keyboard dock... I'm getting it from the US.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to H3llb0und For This Useful Post:
How low can the price go?

The original Tab now is available for $299 via Telstra Australia!
http://www.thegalaxytab.com/2011/04/...t-via-telstra/

That is an outright price for the 3G version.

These are liquidation prices...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Conventionally yes, this is true. However, what actually happens is that when power is applied, the liquid crystals twist the polarity of the light (from an initially polarized bottom polarizer) such that the light and the top polarized layer have a different polarity and light is blocked from being transmitted through. It should be feasible to allow the transmission of light when power is applied by simply changing the configuration of the top polarizer (yawing it 90deg relative to the polarizer beneath the LCD)!
A great vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiejNAUwcQ8

Even a MEMS or 'e-ink' esque solution should be possible requiring power only on a shift. Again, it's a play on polarity of light with multiple layers.

My only concern would be a loss of visibility if there was a crack in the glass!
Transition lenses-windows??
If it doesn't affect clarity too much and only costs as much as tinting all 4 windows (front and back are illegal as ^^chance of accident) or less (<$1,000) ... I'm all for it!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
This is not a bad idea at all! I'll take it a step up. I'd gladly take auto-tinting of the windows when the car is off -- LCD, baby! Wooo! This way, the entire internal contents are hidden when the car is off.

My only concern would be an ultra-reliable mechanism, as it would suck if an electronic error tinted the windows while driving!
Go whole hog for a batcondom

Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy