Active Topics

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Reading posts like that makes me wonder if one should just call it quits, order a Archos device and poke at angstrom.

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
I still use my N810 quite a bit around the house:
as a backup device when my N900 is being fed.
to upload torrent files to my BT transmission server, cos the n900 cant
to use when i cannot be srsed to squint at my n900 anymore.

use my N800 less as the battery is about knackered...

really like both devices to be honest, and stuff like DiabloTurbo; telescope, and the diablo5 theme have done a heroic effort in keeping the devices fresh.

it is sad but it does seem that from a development view the devices have come to the end of the road.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post
I still use my N810 quite a bit
I was able to soldier on with my Zaurus 5500 until last December when I fatally fried the charging circuits. I think that the OS has reached the point where except for adding major new gadgetry like the N900 did you can keep going with outdated hardware that gets the job done well for as long as the battery is available or you break it.

Originally Posted by ggoebel View Post
Who is/was responsible for CSSU?
In principle we all are (the "C" part). I sort of kick started it but unfortunately no one else seemed interested in packaging stuff for it at the time. Now it seems some people are, and it makes me very happy to see that, but I don't have time to do much more than talk about it and won't for a few months at least :-(

How would one go about incorporating Diablo Turbo into a CSSU?
There is one tricky/dangerous bit (installing the kernel modules to the initfs) that should be reviewed and tested thoroughly, but the rest should be just a matter of packaging it, making a new distribution meta-package and uploading to the testing repository.

Originally Posted by maacruz View Post
The dammed wlan kernel binary driver, Kalle Valo made a free driver (stlc45xx) but stopped working on it soon after, it is unstable, unfinished
That's obsolete, subsumed by p54spi (in the "mainline" kernel for a while now). I don't know if it can be made to work with Diablo userland, but It seems to work fine in OpenWrt for example.

Not that it would be hard to do, just some tedious packaging work, and it is the only logic way to distribute some of the packages (kernel, dbus, gconf2), but it would need the CSSU repository, that means Lucas.
I do have upload access there, but there's nothing else special about me and the repo, it's certainly not "mine" in any way. If I'm not around and you want to push stuff to it just ping X-Fade :-)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Good to see me so many people show up quickly with continuing interest. Let's also think long-term, post N8x0 - can we do something like Cordia project for Diablo?

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
One thing that I could never install is a decent sound recorder for my N800. One that is sensitive enough to pick up voices across the room and save to an MP3 format. This is what "Maemo Recorder" should have been. The closest I came was an app called "Seqretary" which fell by the wayside.

maacruz's summary is pretty discouraging on the nokia commercial/proprietary front. But that is pretty much par for the course whenever commercial/proprietary interests are involved.

Used n8x0's are very inexpensive and abundant on ebay. I picked up 3 averaging less than $60 each including shipping. All you can get at that price point is a no-name audio/video media player. Which is no comparison to what can be done with an n8x0.

I'll do what can to make dead easy to automate everything possible to take a used n8x0 and bring it up to date: reflash n8x0, add the CSSU repository, and install a CSSU update including DT.

I'm heading off on a family vacation to Alaska in a about a week. My goal between now and then is to get all my n800's completely updated and decked out for the trip with movies, music, games, and audio books.

I probably won't get a CSSU update packaged between now and then. But I'll wade through the Diablo Turbo thread, write up a summary, and try to start digging into CSSU packaging. I'll probably be asking a lot of questions. Is there an #irc channel folks hang out on?

Following that, I'll probably look at getting flash and java to work in the Opera mobile browser. It has been my experience that the Opera folks have the longest term support for old devices and operating systems. So, I'm guessing the likelihood that someone in the Opera developer community will help out is probably better than the treatment I would receive elsewhere. And any effort expended on my part on improving Opera support will probably give a longer and better return on the sweat equity investment.

Originally Posted by lma View Post
That's obsolete, subsumed by p54spi (in the "mainline" kernel for a while now). I don't know if it can be made to work with Diablo userland, but It seems to work fine in OpenWrt for example.
Well that is a positive note :-)

If the device drivers are in the mainline kernel and are functional... That's the best possible long term scenario. Also encouraging that OpenWrt boots its own kernel.

At least that gives the possibility of ditching maemo and putting something else on it.

So the page I referenced appears to be out of date... Are you aware of changes with any of the other devices which are critical and weren't supported in the mainline kernel?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ggoebel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Good to see me so many people show up quickly with continuing interest. Let's also think long-term, post N8x0 - can we do something like Cordia project for Diablo?
Cordia looks encouraging. Maemo's hildon desktop on Meego... It would probably be good to try to carve out an n8x0 niche within Cordia if possible.

But I'm probably already biting off more than I can chew for the moment. I'll focus on my short term goals. I.e. Figuring out what's required to setup, compile, and package stuff.

The Following User Says Thank You to ggoebel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
As an end-user, I would like to say thank you to all those who have kept the N8x0 alive via vast improvements to the os and apps!

It is going to be very hard to put down my N810 wimax and leave this forum for another device. The N8x0 had it's share of short comings but the amount of potential it had when it first came out was head spinning. Nokia drop the ball on this one (and others), but this community did a great job in picking it up. Thanks

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to heavyt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 218 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ spain
Originally Posted by heavyt View Post
as an end-user, i would like to say thank you to all those who have kept the n8x0 alive via vast improvements to the os and apps!

It is going to be very hard to put down my n810 wimax and leave this forum for another device. The n8x0 had it's share of short comings but the amount of potential it had when it first came out was head spinning. Nokia drop the ball on this one (and others), but this community did a great job in picking it up. Thanks
amen!!!!!!!!

Tags
maemo4, nokia n800, nokia n810