Originally Posted by Koiruus View Post
I wouldn't bundle up Purism and Fxtec, as they clearly are very different. Purism is using open source OS and drivers etc, and the whole thing of Purism phone is the openness and the privacy. Fxtec is not open or privacy oriented, but the hwkb is their thing.
So, with a good roll of tape and BT connection could I have a HWKB privacy-ready phone!

... but the question is: How much do you care?
I don't have so much to hide... It's just privacy...

...even some traditional phone.
Do you mean: simple phones with keys ans b/w screens?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ric9K For This Useful Post:
Posts: 256 | Thanked: 939 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ric9K View Post
Do you mean: simple phones with keys ans b/w screens?
Yep, or even
For real privacy. Just be sure that the phone cable comes to your house as a landline! Otherwise someone can easily steal your signal... I'm obviously joking, but I don't really know what'd be best choice in privacy matters. At least not n900 anymore, but what then? Perhaps the Purism Librem 5.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Koiruus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
The cool stuff is starting to flow in, https://twitter.com/chenliangchen/st...40831697719298

Direct link to short video with a mouse attached

I do realize this is android, but cool none the less ... since it should be easy to copy under linux.

Also happy to be back in the thread

x

Last edited by xman; 2019-11-19 at 05:45.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by xman View Post
The cool stuff is starting to flow in, https://twitter.com/chenliangchen/st...40831697719298

Direct link to short video with a mouse attached

I do realize this is android, but cool none the less ... since it should be easy to copy under linux.

Also hoary to be back in the thread

x
Thanks for posting this.
Haha: seeing that Twitter image it makes me remembering those days I was suffering a (gifted) Asus "Netbook" , even though it did come with full Linux, it was such a pain to use while part inviting to apply as laptop / desktop alternative, productivity wise quite useless and finally good for video calls and some surfing.

I imagine the massive bump in screen resolution we will see here on th F(x)tec Pro 1 will help a lot.
Not sure about the Android OS though.
The Purism Librem 5 might come out on top at the end with better mouse controlled desktop like applications. (Purism marketing says: device will be getting better over the years like a fine wine - once and if ever bottled that is)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
Can we pronounce a winner who got it first? I think not, because I'm skeptical. No pictures or videos.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xman View Post

Also happy to be back in the thread

x
That is what it is all about for Chen too, for sure. Including/all the more this techie enthusiasm of (re)creating and updating all these old-style goodies.

Having read loads of frustrated - and for Chen & Co at least frustrating - remarks on the fora during this most stressful project start-up, I can't imagine how the Fxtec-team would have pulled this project though without that same drive. Especially this pre-delivery final when presenting progress, as to stem the public's impatience, backfired by fueling that impatience among the most outspoken buyers.
The Fxtec forum seemed even worse than over here, where silence more or less prevailed.

Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
Not sure about the Android OS though.
The Purism Librem 5 might come out on top at the end with better mouse controlled desktop like applications. (Purism marketing says: device will be getting better over the years like a fine wine - once and if ever bottled that is)
Purism should come out on top 'once and if' indeed. The Librem 5 'will get better': it simply must get better.
(Not only) opensource stuff takes time to mature - it does so very nicely. But it takes too much time - even when delivering - for most of the buying public. Resulting in additional financial drawbacks on top of already high development cost. So you need to "buy time", while not (yet) earning money to do so.

Fxtec are several increadable (progress) milestones ahead. They should now - hopefully - start to straighten out financially. Especially thanks to captating income from where it can be found, the droid loving masses.
I dearly hope this works out as planned.

In the meantime, I also do hope that Sailfish OS/Jolla does "open up" to/revitalises with the development flurry provided by all Pro1 related impulses.
It's a bit sad having to speak of hope ... It's probably that Jolla marketing is now nowhere ... compared to pre Aurora-times. Or to Purism's.

Putting both open and closed stuff together.
I'm wondering how Pro1 dual boot development is progressing. Not that I fully like the prospect of using Android, it simply seems that bank related services are pushing me to "open up" to Droid when venturing into the public mobile wide world.
Once again proof of how money rules our world(s). I repeat: please, let this not be(come) even more true.

Originally Posted by john_god View Post
Congratulations to Chen & Fxtec team. The fruits of your very hard work are finally showing. What a great jorney.
Thank you!!
+8 All prevailing thoughts indeed.
We can't be thankful enough to Chen & Co for this "new" platform he is providing us.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AardDevil For This Useful Post:
You can connect a wired or wireless mouse and keyboard in android since 2011. Is there something else that I missed in the video?

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nikos523 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 386 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Netherlands

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Wasmachinemann-NL For This Useful Post:
Posts: 386 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Netherlands
Strangely enough I can't call anyone. Bug?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wasmachinemann-NL For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Wasmachinemann-NL View Post
Strangely enough I can't call anyone. Bug?
Might be SIM/Carrier related.. mine works fine with Dual Sim

Can you help with verifying some of those?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DDark For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit