Active Topics

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ Devon, England
Well, it did look possible when they released the OH specs, but here's semi-confirmation: you can stack Other Halves. Providing somebody makes one stackable, obviously.

https://twitter.com/JollaHQ/status/385353671942230016

The Following User Says Thank You to Eztran For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Tusen Tack!!
I have to admit I even never tried searching for solution, jost got it given it would not work....
I also did a quick compile test in sailfish arm target environment. With libtomcrypt you needed to add -fPIC into CFLAGS, and after that compiling stoken was a breeze.
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Apps killed BB, are killing MS, will they abort Jolla

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
My only fear about the 1gb is how will ACL respect that because those apps are normally bloated and that's without adding in the actual process for compatibility.

MeeGo was crazy efficient. So I can assume that SailfishOS is as well. But 1gb, true multi-tasking + Android compatibility is where my concern for the 1gb of RAM comes in.

We'll see though. I'm still hopeful.
Android, Is just marketing propaganda from Jolla, for good reasons, because people take for granted android apps is a must. If people buy Jolla because of Android compability well... then they will be disappointed is my guess... Even I do think it will work better than BB10 because of the HW and OS is linux not QNX.

But if Jolla and 3rd success to make native good apps that Android compability is not used more than when you really desperatly need that X/Y/Z app.

Atleast what I hope will happen in the long run even if I realise its probadly a dream

Originally Posted by mrsellout View Post
An Angry Birds Other Half would be pretty cool, and very marketable. It would also be a nice touch, if I'm not mistaken, the first platform they ported AB (from iOS) to was fremantle in 2010.
I dont get what OTH and AB could use together?

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-10-02 at 18:33.

Posts: 548 | Thanked: 562 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Germany
Jolla confirmed that the virtual keyboard is based on the open source project Maliit - just like on the N9

source

I hope there will be also Swype support and/or some nice and innovative features (like on the BB10 keyboard)

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
Maybe that's part of the point? To lure users to use/lobby for native Sailfish applications, while not restricting the user from accessing their favourite ones that otherwise aren't available?
You somehow managed to look past my point of what may become a problem.

Let's simplify. Most 4.x Android devices have more than 1gb of memory and they're running native. Android is bloated. Imagine having only 1gb of RAM and you're then going to run an compatibility layer.

That's a potential problem. I've stated before that ACL is/should be seen as a good thing. I'm now stating that the 1gb RAM could be a future concern.

Originally Posted by Eztran View Post
Well, it did look possible when they released the OH specs, but here's semi-confirmation: you can stack Other Halves. Providing somebody makes one stackable, obviously.

https://twitter.com/JollaHQ/status/385353671942230016
Vermillion hells, that is awesome

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daneel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
As an aside with RAM though - I am no stranger to low RAM devices, and often I too would express the same sentiment as you, but I will say, when I recently got upgraded from a 3GB RAM computer to an 8GB RAM computer (as well as similar jumps in specs across the board), it does make a pretty noticeable difference for my use cases. It's subtle and minor, but it pervades everything in a way that adds up. So while I too look at people decrying 1 GB of RAM on a mobile device as too low and facepalm at it, the benefits it can bring are definitely sufficient that I wouldn't call it 'mindless ranting' for just that.
I happen to be installing Debian Wheezy on an ancient laptop with a 500Mhz Celeron and 64MB of RAM (don't ask me why) -- at least it has a USB port so I'm using the N900 as router --. I guess it's too late to now abort and go for something more sane (Slackware).

But seeing how apt-get/aptitude keeps on "Building dependency tree" and "Processing triggers for man-db" again and again and again sort of reminds me how important is good and well-behaved software.

I used to sorta like Debian. Now I hate them. You can do a lot with a little bit of RAM, but modern software is just FUBAR.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
You somehow managed to look past my point of what may become a problem. [about Android applications running badly in compatibility mode with 1GB of RAM]
You are correct, and I have done it in a very selfish way. I won't apologise as I'm entitled to my opinion and I may buy a Jolla for me and nobody else ;-)

I do acknowledge your point though, but I'll explain my rationale: I am _not_ interested in running Android applications (Android native, Android "java", Android whatever). I will be happy to very occasionally put up with a slow Android application where there is no alternative to Sailfish (e.g., an airline applicaiton that holds your boarding pass). That's the use I'm planning to give Android applications running on Sailfish.

All this said, you may guess that I'm making a massive assumption: Sailfish will come with all the basic applications that most users use (e.g., you won't need to use Android's Facebook client, or even worse: an IMAP client!).

There are a lot of valid other points in this thread anyway (maximum memory for Android applications, how much RAM other Android phones have, don't buy a Jolla to use Android applicatoins, etc.). Let's see what happens...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
I dont get what OTH and AB could use together?
The OH doesn't have to be packed with functionality, Jolla's own suggestions included a media company putting media on one, and I see similar for Angry Birds. An OH with an AB pic on the back, that installs an AB ambience and an AB game, heck it could even have an annoying ringtone too. Fun for kids, little and big .

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post: