Active Topics

Has anyone tried this out with the n810 wimax? I tried to do it once with the cloning, but upon reboot, it came back with the bootmenu, but none of the keys worked and you have to pull the battery to kill it.

Have to reflash the sucker. If someone has tried it.... if they could let me know if there's something different here. I wouldn't think so, but then again, who knows.

Keypad wouldn't work and the debug message flashed on and off so I couldn't see what the error was.

I found a problem with console-tools (latest version from links page 1). It doesn't uninstall cleanly, but leaves behind several binaries in /bin

ls -clrt /bin shows me (truncated):

Code:
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            7 Dec  4  2008 chgrp -> busybox
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            7 Dec  4  2008 cat -> busybox
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            7 Dec  4  2008 ash -> busybox
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           16 Dec  4  2008 pidof -> ../sbin/killall5
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            4 Aug 27 01:50 rnano -> nano
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       137360 Aug 27 01:50 nano
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       367688 Aug 27 19:24 bash
-rwxr-xr-x    1 user     users       46982 Aug 28 22:34 partprobe
-rwxr-xr-x    1 user     users      176844 Aug 28 22:34 parted
lrwxrwxrwx    1 user     users           5 Aug 28 22:34 lfdisk -> fdisk
lrwxrwxrwx    1 user     users           5 Aug 28 22:34 gfdisk -> fdisk
-rwxr-xr-x    1 user     users      197956 Aug 28 22:34 fdisk
-rwxr-xr-x    1 user     users       66037 Aug 28 22:34 cfdisk
partprobe parted lfdisk gfdisk fdisk cfdisk are all binaries (or symbolic links to binaries) which were placed in /bin by the scripts run by console-tools. And there is similar in /sbin, where it leaves behind:

tune2fs mkfs.ext3 mkfs.ext2 mke2fs logsave fsck.ext3 fsck.ext2 fsck findfs e2label e2image e2fsck dumpe2fs debugfs badblocks resize2fs blkid

None of these binaries or symbolic links are removed because they are not created until the console-tools scripts are run, as can be seen by running dpkg -L console-tools, and of course if dpkg doesn't know about the binaries it cannot remove them on running apt-get remove console-tools.

Posts: 674 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
Lately, when I restart my N810, the boot menu does not offer options (only seen "Press and hold Menu ...") and after a couple of seconds it turns off automatically.

After several (and I mean SEVERAL) attempts, finally the menu appears and I can boot without problems. Until the next reboot.

Removing the SD card does not change the situation.

I tried to clone again, but did not help.

What can this be? Is there a solution?

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by alephito View Post
Lately, when I restart my N810, the boot menu does not offer options (only seen "Press and hold Menu ...") and after a couple of seconds it turns off automatically.

After several (and I mean SEVERAL) attempts, finally the menu appears and I can boot without problems. Until the next reboot.

Removing the SD card does not change the situation.

I tried to clone again, but did not help.

What can this be? Is there a solution?
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=22278
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Thanks, penguinbait, but it did no work. It only changed the boot partition when I finally can see the Boot Menu. My problem is prior to that moment.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I made a little video to show you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPQnSmqUWMA

Thanks.

Thanks, penguinbait, but it did no work. It only changed the boot partition when I finally can see the Boot Menu. My problem is prior to that moment.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I made a little video to show you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPQnSmqUWMA

Thanks.
Is the battery dead? Thats wierd I have not seen that behavior before. How does it behave with the power plugged in?

----------
Starting from off

Plug in power, this should start the tablet and display bootmenu

Select the partition to boot, it then should turn off

Wait for about 10 seconds, and it will then say charging and the green light will be blinking.

Then power it on again and it will boot up to the partition you previously selected.
-----------------------------

I am only suggesting this to see if it behaves normally when plugged into power?

It is an odd behavior I have not seen before has ANYONE??
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Posts: 473 | Thanked: 141 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Virginia, USA
Have a quick question, I need to know if this will work. I suspect I'm good to go, but I wanted to put it out there to make sure.

When I started booting off of the (internal) SD, I broke it up into four partitions: a small (256MB VFAT) partition, two 768MB partitions (nominally for Maemo and Mer) and a 256MB swap. Well, I have never gotten around to installing Mer, and my Maemo partition has grown to near capacity. What I would like to do is get rid of partition 3 and combine it with partition 2, giving me a 256MB, a 1.5GB for the OS, and the swap.

1. Back up; turn off swap on the SD partition.
2. Boot onto flash
3. fdisk and delete partition 3, then create partition 2.
4. create an ext3 partition on 2.
5. delete partition 4 and make it partition 3.
6. mkswap
7. Restore backup.

At this point, I should be golden...Restore the swap and off to the races, right? Did I forget anything?

Thanks,
--vr

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Is the battery dead? Thats wierd I have not seen that behavior before.
No, it is a new one. From Mugen's. Charged at full.

How does it behave with the power plugged in?
----------
Starting from off

Plug in power, this should start the tablet and display bootmenu
No, it doesn't. It stays off. And for about 10 seconds I cannot turn it on again.

Select the partition to boot, it then should turn off

Wait for about 10 seconds, and it will then say charging and the green light will be blinking.

Then power it on again and it will boot up to the partition you previously selected.
-----------------------------

I am only suggesting this to see if it behaves normally when plugged into power?

It is an odd behavior I have not seen before has ANYONE??
Maybe something is wrong with my hardware?

Tonight I will try the same with the original (now faulty) battery.

No, it is a new one. From Mugen's. Charged at full.

No, it doesn't. It stays off. And for about 10 seconds I cannot turn it on again.

Maybe something is wrong with my hardware?

Tonight I will try the same with the original (now faulty) battery.
I am suspecting some sort of power problem, is the battery you have the exact same one that shipped with 810? Or is it a different model but works?

Originally Posted by VulcanRidr View Post
Have a quick question, I need to know if this will work. I suspect I'm good to go, but I wanted to put it out there to make sure.

When I started booting off of the (internal) SD, I broke it up into four partitions: a small (256MB VFAT) partition, two 768MB partitions (nominally for Maemo and Mer) and a 256MB swap. Well, I have never gotten around to installing Mer, and my Maemo partition has grown to near capacity. What I would like to do is get rid of partition 3 and combine it with partition 2, giving me a 256MB, a 1.5GB for the OS, and the swap.

1. Back up; turn off swap on the SD partition.
2. Boot onto flash
3. fdisk and delete partition 3, then create partition 2.
4. create an ext3 partition on 2.
5. delete partition 4 and make it partition 3.
6. mkswap
7. Restore backup.

At this point, I should be golden...Restore the swap and off to the races, right? Did I forget anything?

Thanks,
--vr
You need to delete partition 2, 3, 4 and then create p2 ext3 and p3 swap. Right?

Also you need to mkfs.ext3 on the new ext3 partition before restoring the backup.

1 more thing, I would reboot after using fdisk before doing anything else.

Tags
bootmenu, bootmenu-installer, install-tools, mgmt-tools