Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
After all the SSU upgrades I small brightness issue came up with advanced-backlight on my Diablo N810. Everything works UNTIL the screen gets turned off due to inactivity. When the N810 gets woken up, the screen brightness is that of the 'default', control panel one, not the one set in advanced backlight. If I click on it, the values shown are correct, but it takes a change (like +1 brightness) to get that level reapplied (until the next screen off). I have seen similar reports in this thread but no clear cut solution. Any ideas ? Advanced backlight is from extras, version 0.14-3, the OS is Diablo, 5.2008.43-7.

PS. I'm not sure if the trouble was the SSU itself, it's just that I noticed this issue a short while after applying it.
Thread revival!

I'm getting something similar to this, and yeah, I read all 25 pages.

In a custom script I have
/etc/init.d/mce stop

at the end of the script I have

sudo /etc/init.d/mce start

It's loading back up the Nokia settings instead.

If I go to Control Panel -> Display and then simply click on okay after that, the correct function returns however I still need to move the slider in the advanced-backlight applet for the brightness to correct itself.

Any braniac here that might have a solution for this?

Could someone at least make a guess as to what the command line might be to achieve the same effect as
Settings-> Control panel-> Display-> Okay

It's got to be something that's possible since I'm not changing any settings under the Display options, I just default to Okay.

Posts: 98 | Thanked: 189 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Antonio, TX
Can you give me a dump of the gconf display settings? I forget where they are exactly at this moment, but there's one for brightness (which is 1-5, IE the default nokia settings). The way the applet changes brightness is actually tied to a specific one of them (it's actually pretty random, it just depends which one you had open, I think). See if the number there changes when you do your mce script. If it does, changing it back with the commandline gconf editor should do the trick. If not, try swapping the value back and forth with gconf-editor anyway and see if it does anything!

The Following User Says Thank You to rm_you For This Useful Post:
Oh wow!

rm_you is back!

I think it's been like a year since your last visit here.

But yeah, absolutely! I'll look into that later tonight and post back.

Thanks!

Just to recap.

When I soft power down with "Lock touch screen and keys" the screen immediately blanks out to black.

After mce stop then start again when I "Lock touch screen and keys" the screen just dims a little. The only correction for this seems to be Control Panel -> Display -> then hitting Okay.

Also, I need to move the slider just a titch in Advanced Power to get my screen brightness corrected once again.

The reason for the mce stuff is to have control over the hardware keys on my N800 so I can map them to something else without junk like the task switcher from popping up.

Anyway, I'll try and post back on your suggestion either tonight or tomorrow.

Hey rm.

I still can't resolve this on my own.

It seems like ABL and the display options in the control panel aren't at all tied together.

I can change the brightness in system/osso/dsm/display in the gconf editor after mce start but the screen still dims rather than blanks out when locking the tablet.

I'm not seeing any changes that mce stop then start causes and I also don't know what I'm doing here.

I'm only trying to use the hardware keys so if there's a better way to do this outside of mce, I'd gladly go with that route.

Well, looking forward to any suggestions you might have.

Posts: 98 | Thanked: 189 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Antonio, TX
Yeah, the control panel display applet is completely separate from ABL. One of my long-term goals was to rewrite it and replace it with my own completely, but that never came to fruition, as the change to a new platform (Maemo 5) has sent me completely back to the drawing board. Development for the OS2008 version of ABL is pretty much complete/stalled. If someone wants to take over OS2008 support, let me know!

I'm not sure what to recommend at this point for you... That behavior is similar to a known issue, but not exactly the same. My recommendation for now is that you set the keys the way you want them with your script, and just poke the ABL slider to reset the brightness every time your script runs. Does the screen blank properly after poking ABL again? Or does it remain lit? If so, does it EVENTUALLY blank after a few seconds?

The Following User Says Thank You to rm_you For This Useful Post:
Poking the ABL bar only changes the screen brightness, it does not restore the screen to blanking out when locking the tablet after starting mce again.

And yeah, the screen does eventually blank after two minutes of being idle when locked, thanks for asking since I didn't realize that before.

At the end of my script I decided on just running
/usr/bin/controlpanel

This way it brings up the control panel so I can quickly get to Display then click on Okay.

I still think that there's got to be some command line to restore the previous settings but I'm happy enough the way it is for now.

Thanks for the responses rm.