Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
As was the 770, the N800 and the N810.
I had a n800 and two n810's. N810 style successor in a phone would have been freakin awesome. It was a sexy device.

Last edited by imperiallight; 2010-06-18 at 00:49.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to imperiallight For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
Yes. As was the 770, the N800 and the N810. This is the 'step 4 of 5' thing you keep hearing about if you read around a lot,
And you'll keep hearing it. Step 5 of 5, 6 of 5, 7 of 5. Just because it makes no sense doesn't mean it can't happen. I'm keeping a special kit here that's old but I like it because at some point is says "Installing, 102% done".

Well, I kid, but there's nothing keeping it from happening. Also, this Meego Frankenstein they're building now has a 1.0 label on it that, if not scary enough, consider the fact that it's a marketing ploy. It's real version should be 0.1, not 1.0, as it's never been widely tested, not several builds released, not stable.

And no, after releasing M5, you don't have the right to call untested software "stable", that card has been invalidated. Need I remind you M5 v "1.0" had the wifi bug?

I understand why people want MeeGo. Necessity. As in, if we don't we're buried. Me, I'd much rather see M5 fixed. I am aware that won't happen. So yeah, hurray, let's move forward to 0.1, restart this unpaid beta - sorry, alpha testers stuff, I'm loving it.

Yes, alpha. Beta is when you think it works, you just want a second opinion.

Nokia has no idea how lucky it is. "Using an advertised feature creates a condition that renders the device unusable in 4 hours" is a condition that warrants return.

If firing up my headlights popped a hole in my gas tank I'd use whatever is left to drive back to the dealer. And braking too late.

Such a shame. Excellent hardware, an open OS with limitless possibilities and a potentially huge app base out of the box. A recipe for success. Just let me add a couple of closed, buggy apps and make them undocumented. How did this turn from 98% complete, guaranteed success, to 100% complete, oh-my-god? Only violent shifts could cause such a turn.

What you have here is Venus de Milo with a hole in her head.

Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
Nokia has said that there will be at least a PR 1.3 update.
There will be. It will be empty.

There's going to be QT Mobility, which I have no grasp of, as a user, not do I care to grasp it. I will NOT have any of the 72 bugs marked as Harmattan, It will also NOT have most of the 2636 bugs that are now open, new, unconfirmed. It will NOT contain most of the top 10 brainstorms. Because all the cool stuff is hard to do.

What feels like a slap is that some people come an implement this between dinner and TV, for free. Like Alarmed, which, minus some fancy graphics, renders all alarm software, ever, obsolete. Like StorageUsage, that renders all storage info, ever, obsolete. The list is extensive.

It will NOT contain sources or clear instructions on how to handle events, or API calls that allows a developer to bypass or replace broken functionality.

It WILL contain inane, easy to do stuff that people left in. Like forgot a letter, missed a link, a pixel is wrong, MicroB loses a keystroke, add a few menus, make themes incompatible again, fiddle with DBus AGAIN, add a few things that should have been there in October and, if you've been really good, suspend all updates for a month, for good measure, because nothing encourages a person who wants to give a gift than not answering the door for a few weeks.

It MAY contain some real fixes, because nobody is perfect. Hey, maybe now Phone won't eat 500% CPU so I can actually answer on tap, instead of sitting there like an idiot, phone ringing, waiting for 5 seconds for the tap to be registered. You'd think a Phone app that is in the ringing state would kind of be prepared to answer.

I've held high, high hopes for 1.2. My hopes for future fixed is dropping exponentially. I'm closing on "meh" for 1.3.

"Hello, this is your captain speaking. Wind is at 5 kph from the west, the weather is sunny, perfect flight conditions. We thank you for choosing Nokia Airlines and remind you that you are flying our new Boeing 747 Beta".

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following User Says Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
I have a CS degree; it's ten years back and honestly i don't see that anyone should feel a lack of such puts them at a real disadvantage. More than any other field, the resources to learn the relevant material are all available online and the pace of change makes recent practical experience far more important than distant academic experience IMO.

On the subject of Qt: i started a project and ran into problems with the repo (Qt binding for poppler) that prevented me from getting it into the repo. When PR1.2 came along and failed to resolve the issue with the broken repo, i started on the project again only to find that the app would no longer build (presumably due to messing with qmake or something in PR1.2 SDK) so, while i was fairly impressed with my first day with Qt, the rough edges on Maemo/Qt have about bled my enthusiasm to death.

Edit: I meant to make this whine somehow constructive by saying that i would appreciate a single wiki that describes Qt on Maemo in purely a PR1.2/Qt6.2 context so there's no ambiguity, and also an answer to the question of why armel/x86 packages depending on the exact same library will claim it is missing/available respectively.
This^ is an example of what we could be doing now to provide a legacy for Maemo the organization and the community.

I am not a programmer nor a commercial developer but it sounds like a "wiki that describes Qt on Maemo in purely a PR1.2/Qt6.2 context so there's no ambiguity" would be dang useful for me eventually.

What attracted me and has kept my interest in Maemo is that I realized that no one knows what I need and how I use my device everyday better than me. I understood early on that I would have to develop my own dang apps or modify the appearance and presentation of information from existing apps so that they work best for me.

With the introduction of the N900 Maemo attracted a lot more people like me. If they haven't already, these folks soon may come to the same realizations as me.

But enough about me.

The legacy I am hoping Maemo provides is that it was the first of its kind with regard to this.

However, to do my thing I didn't need to dedicate a machine to a completely different OS than what I was using. I didn't need to learn that new OS, syntax, methods, and features from the ground up, I didn't need to learn what fatalsaint best summarizes here >> http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...6&postcount=27

...In order to develop or modify apps that were only being used by me.

What I needed was to learn a simple, easy to set up, and effective way to SSH into my device from my Windows machine. Until a method was first posted here in this forum, I would not have found it (or one for Mac for that matter) in any maemo.org documents.

After that, until I found simple working examples like thp's
Code:
superfly.desktop
or Nokia's own
Code:
ovi.desktop
by mucking about, I couldn't enjoy the ability of launching my own pages or sites via my own dang shortcut and icon by simply changing strings and renaning files

Earlier I said "eventually". I said that because I find my self doing, and as a result learning, more and more each day because someone planted those seeds.

I followed qole down this rabbit hole and until my N810 & N900 die a natural death I will be doing my best to make it easier for others to follow me.

Imagine if just a small percentage of the members enthusiastically contributing to the 1000 + posts in this thread >> http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=39565

...simply because they now know how to connect to all of their devices directories and edit files from whatever desktop OS they use... imagine if they continued down that rabbit hole.

I'm bettin' that most are more talented, younger, and even better looking than me and once in, would be motivated to provide even more information to even more enthusiastic potential developers.

Information like Flandry mentions will be needed by them.
More seeds also need to be planted by people like us. Much broader information still needs to be provided.

Now eventually they may come to the same conclusions that you all have but, wouldn't you now have more voices?

Wouldn't maemo.org then be providing MeeGo with more engaged users once they eventually decide to upgrade?

As long as Nokia keeps funding maemo.org they haven't abandoned Maemo. As long as we continue to work with maemo.org we haven't either.

maemo.org's value to MeeGo is the amount of engaged users it eventually provides.

Maemo's legacy could simply be that it opened the door to actualy controlling our mobile worlds.

SLN member # 009

Last edited by YoDude; 2010-06-18 at 02:58.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
...simply because they now know how to connect to all of their devices directories and edit files from whatever desktop OS they use... image if they continued down that rabbit hole.
I came to similar conclusions for my own needs but you can do this from nearly any current smartphone. Aim is to do everything on the n900 though, to differentiate it as a product. It is its raison d'ętre.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ndi View Post
Also, this Meego Frankenstein they're building now has a 1.0 label on it that, if not scary enough, consider the fact that it's a marketing ploy. It's real version should be 0.1, not 1.0, as it's never been widely tested, not several builds released, not stable.
I wish they used a different numbering scheme too. Say ’MeeGo R1’ (as in first release), or the ubuntu style 10.05, or alphabetical (considering completeness and general polish, Aardwark comes to mind ). In any case, 1.0 means something different to me.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Monkey boy was also at the helm during their worst decade ever.
I am assuming there's only one "Developers, Developers, Developers" monkey boy.

So, what decade was that?

Every year the last ten years they have had a higher revenue than the best year before the last ten years. By far.

Also, the last quarter 2009 was their best so far: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i...ue+1985+-+2010

Edit: more on track, here's another graph, this time for Nokia.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i...ue+1985+-+2010

Notice the similarity: this would be the world market crisis more than specific for these companies, I would wager. And yet, a quite clear dip for Nokia.

Last edited by volt; 2010-06-18 at 11:43.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
More steps:

The process for handling MeeGo requirements is now open. Sami explains the details at http://meego.com/community/blogs/sam...o-requirements

Basically, http://bugs.meego.com is used as the tool for proposing features and manage requirements. There is now a new classification "MeeGo Features" where new proposals must be filed.

There are already more that 240 features submitted, most of them targetting the MeeGo 1.1 release: http://bit.ly/d8lBCL

The requirements process is managed in combination with the roadmapping process: http://meego.com/developers/meego-roadmap

In Maemo we never achieved this level of open planning. There were attempts through bugs.maemo.org and then the maemo.org Brainstorm. The conclusion was that this process can only work if it's pushed directly by the real product managers, and this is how it works in MeeGo. It was also quite clear that a majority of people involved in the real work preferred the well known Bugzilla over yet another tool.

Please watch, vote and comment to the feature requests that matter you most. You are also invited to submit new proposals.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Please watch, vote and comment to the feature requests that matter you most.
In other areas of MeeGo Bugzilla, voting is accomplished via a inconspicuous link next to "Importance"; however, I cannot locate the voting link there, or anywhere, on these enhancement requests. Would someone please point to where I can vote? Thank you!

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Er... good point. Looks like a bug since voting on features was considered a good feature. This Features classification has permissions tweaked so not just anybody can change status from NEW to ASSIGNED (with the risk of putting 20 paid developers automatically to work) or vice versa. Perhaps that's why.

If you don't file the bug now I will do it in the evening. Thanks!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
In other areas of MeeGo Bugzilla, voting is accomplished via a inconspicuous link next to "Importance"; however, I cannot locate the voting link there, or anywhere, on these enhancement requests. Would someone please point to where I can vote? Thank you!
I filed a bug against that

http://bugs.meego.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3256

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:

Tags
misstep, nokia