Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I cant afford IT right now. What to do sell a kidney?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
The price is a little higher than I expected, but I'd still buy it nonetheless #physicalkeyboardftw

Posts: 645 | Thanked: 519 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Finland
Can I have one without wooden back?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mikkosssss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by Mikkosssss View Post
possible answers:

- yes
- no
- maybe
- not yet
- why?!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
To go back to quality again ... I really don't think many people want a keyboard (for general use as opposed to dev work) for the sake of having a keyboard, or if they do they'll be disappointed if they go back to one that isn't great.

Though having said this, legibility of the Jolla's screen in daylight is so poor, having ANY keyboard would be great for text entry when not dark / indoors.

Personally, I still dream about the awesome keyboard in the Nokia E71 (though obviously of a different type and layout).

Posts: 645 | Thanked: 519 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
possible answers:

- yes
- no
- maybe
- not yet
- why?!
Could you also give percentages about response options?

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 661 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Mikkosssss View Post
I was also pondering this, out of curiosity. I might take one without lastucase if it lowered the total price (or might not, that wooden skin doesn't look bad...)

PS: Great job on keeping us updated. Even though I personally won't order before first reviews hit the web I nevertheless appreciate your efforts on this. This is a must have TOH if it's done right! So far so good!

Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
possible answers:

- yes
- no
- maybe
- not yet
- why?!
The why is obvious. The wooden back makes the keyboard a "look at me I'm beautiful"-OH, just like shiny golden iPhones. The phone will already by thick enough to be noticed by many people, I don't want to attract their remarks and questions more than that. I don't want a luxury phone, just a useful and discrete one with as much open source and Linux chunks as possible inside.

There will be two groups of customers of course, those who want a beautiful keyboard, and those who want a keyboard on a "don't look at me, I'm normal"-phone. Both are right, both are wrong!

Perhaps it will change the price too, but I don't know it yet so that's not the decisive part for me. And anyway, it's too early apparently, just answering to the "why?" and seconding that wood-less keyboards would be cool.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2014-09-22 at 22:30.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
To go back to quality again ... I really don't think many people want a keyboard (for general use as opposed to dev work) for the sake of having a keyboard, or if they do they'll be disappointed if they go back to one that isn't great.

Though having said this, legibility of the Jolla's screen in daylight is so poor, having ANY keyboard would be great for text entry when not dark / indoors.

Personally, I still dream about the awesome keyboard in the Nokia E71 (though obviously of a different type and layout).
I miss typing on a physical keyboard. Jolla's keyboard is pretty good for an onscreen keyboard, but it's just not the same. I don't do dev work (on the go) but general typing (WhatsApp, web browser, Twitter, etc.) is just so much better with a physical keyboard. I still keep my HP Pre 3 near. I don't use it anymore since I switched to Jolla, but sometimes I just look back at it and think about the happy times I had typing on that wonderful physical keyboard.
Landscape like TOH rev2 will be a bit different at first, I guess, but any physical keyboard with non-flat keys will be better than onscreen for sure.

Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Software question to Kimmo: is it reasonable to expect key combinations for some system-wide features, or is it impossible on the software side? I'm thinking about features like Ctrl+C/X/V with (hopefully) system-wide clipboard, Alt+Tab (or Ctrl+Backspace like on Maemo), and so on.

Those shortcuts are a huge part of the better typing experience with hardware keyboards compared to touch ones.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:

Tags
keyboard, kickstarter, other half, tohkbd