Active Topics

Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
Though I don't get that hardware argument. It's not like Jolla isn't making a second phone. We know they are making a second phone, and hopefully much more. Sailflish as OS wont become "full featured" in this iteration of hardware anyways.
My concern here is that if they don't sell enough of the first phone there will not be a second phone (I'm not sure we know they are making a second phone; it seems more like we anticipate that they would do so). SO the question is, given the masses are unlikely to buy in any great number, is there a big enough technogeek (for want of a better description) market to keep Jolla going. As I say, I hope so - and presumably Jolla think there is.

Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Originally Posted by strongm View Post
My concern here is that if they don't sell enough of the first phone there will not be a second phone (I'm not sure we know they are making a second phone; it seems more like we anticipate that they would do so). SO the question is, given the masses are unlikely to buy in any great number, is there a big enough technogeek (for want of a better description) market to keep Jolla going. As I say, I hope so - and presumably Jolla think there is.
It's not like you can make a phone in a few months. If they want to have a second phone, they are surely working on it. Remember, the average phone development time from start to finish is about 2 years, even for the big players.

Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
they are surely working on it.
Very possibly, but my assertion was that we don't know. People are making assumptions.

At least in one interview they said that next phone is coming sometime in the second half of 2014 but who knows.

Last edited by MisterMaster; 2014-01-05 at 23:25.

Posts: 72 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Nov 2013 @ Finland
Vast majority of people I show my Jolla to have never even heard the name before Jolla did not have very high media exposure outside launch day. But those few who have heard all want to see it in action.

Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Originally Posted by strongm View Post
Very possibly, but my assertion was that we don't know. People are making assumptions.
We have to assume they're working on it. If not, then they are bound to fail - what are they doing then, playing cards and waiting for the market to see if their phone is successful or not?
That's no way to run a business. You always have to be at least one step ahead of the customers.

Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
what are they doing then, playing cards and waiting for the market to see if their phone is successful or not?
Ooh .. how about fixing and refining Sailfish and the Sailfish SDK and targetting alternative (non-Jolla) hardware platforms ... perhaps Jolla are really more interested in the software, and the hardware was simply necessary to demonstrate Sailfish's to potential to ... erm .. potential (and maybe actual) partners.

This is of course pure speculation (and not a little bit of devil's advocacy) - but Jolla have at least announced their intentions to get Sailfish onto other hardware; they haven't announced a second phone ...

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Amsterdam
Still can't use my Jolla as my daily phone. Most pressing things missing:

- SIP
- OpenVPN without having to start it up from the command line
- Calendar synchronisation (caldav)
- multi-protocol instant messaging

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
What makes people think Jolla working on a second phone?

There are plenty of stuff that need to get fixed in the sailfishos first. I really don't think they work on a second phone atm.

If people want more HW you better hope there is a bigger player who release a sailfish based phone.

Jolla had to focus on SW now not yet another phone.

I am sure the SW would had been alot more stable if they didn't have to change SoC end of 2012.. Debugging HW takes resources...

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2014-01-06 at 14:09.

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 78 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Bruxelles
Does anyone know where I can find the ringtones folder, to put my ringtones in it .

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience