Notices

OK, I've committed my initial work into SVN. Nathan, could you please work on getting the appropriate packaging control files created?

Also, the current version doesn't handle a situation where there aren't any texts available. I'm in the middle of handling this situation by allowing the user to download sword texts from the internet or import a Bible+ file. In the meantime, testers will need to use rapier or some other program to download texts.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
I don't like doing this, and mods are free to handslap if needed, but when some pieces of the disucsison in this thread turned towards copyright and licensing, I began the ardious process of putting some of this together in (nearly) plain language:

Copyright, Licensing, and Mobile Bible Ethics

This should give some perspective to some of the issues related to the content behind Bibles and other copyrighted materials these days.

In the interest of this topic, can comments be taken to another thread (here or elsewhere) or on the linked post.

Last edited by ARJWright; 2009-11-09 at 16:36. Reason: fixed url error

The Following User Says Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
the link is broken, you have a " at the start
it should be:

very interesting article to read! well done

The Following User Says Thank You to SubCore For This Useful Post:
This should give some perspective to some of the issues related to the content behind Bibles and other copyrighted materials these days.
What I understand you to be saying, as it relates to Katana, is that e-Sword, etc. can't legally allow us to use their modules, since they only have a license from the copyright holders of the texts to use the modules inside their application; for us to use them, they would need to renegotiate with the copyright holders.

Originally Posted by joshn53 View Post
What I understand you to be saying, as it relates to Katana, is that e-Sword, etc. can't legally allow us to use their modules, since they only have a license from the copyright holders of the texts to use the modules inside their application; for us to use them, they would need to renegotiate with the copyright holders.
Don't want to divert this thread, I'll quote and answer at MMM.

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Texas
Good article. In the case of Katana, the mods that would have copyright issues would need to have buy-in from the companies that own rights to the materials (OliveTree, E-Sword, etc). I know in the case of OliveTree, they already support every major mobile platform except Maemo. So if we work with them to provide a closed source module that handled their format, then they could work the licensing on that module just like they do with their readers. I'm no lawyer, but I think that would stand up to a lot of scrutiny.

As much as I love open source modules and applications, I do realize that in some cases like this, we will have problems getting buy-in from companies that have to abide by their content licenses without allowing closed source modules for their content.
Just my 2 cents.

The Following User Says Thank You to flux41 For This Useful Post:
Just got notice that I'll be one of the speakers at BIbleTech next March. If I can get my hands on an N900 before then, I'd love to be able to show off this app (and community's involvement towards it) as part of my mobile-induced presentation.

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ SC; USA
The key is making sure that it makes sense to them. They are a for-profit company who might do well to have Katana fit what their needs are. And then again, it might not fit. I've already started that communication to them, and we'll see what happens.
You guys have a killer start on this! If you need help talking to Laridian, I think I might be able to help

I am currently refreshing my old C++ knowledge and playing around with Qt, so I may be able to help at some point. I have a lot of ideas about the social aspect, so I may start drafting something up for the social plugin. I pre-ordered the N900, so hopefully I can do some real life testing/on-device development in the near future.

Originally Posted by BrettQ View Post
You guys have a killer start on this! If you need help talking to Laridian, I think I might be able to help

I am currently refreshing my old C++ knowledge and playing around with Qt, so I may be able to help at some point. I have a lot of ideas about the social aspect, so I may start drafting something up for the social plugin. I pre-ordered the N900, so hopefully I can do some real life testing/on-device development in the near future.
Yes, talk to Laridian pretty please. I believe though they are already looking at this thread some - not necessarly to do anything, but in respect to watching trends in the mobile development space and where to future-plan.

Originally Posted by pamadio View Post
What i did was just to change sword-1.6.0a/debian/sword16.install

It originally was

usr/lib/lib*.so
usr/lib/sword/*
usr/share/sword/locales.d/*

And i change the usr/share/sword line so it looks like the following now:

usr/lib/lib*.so
usr/lib/sword/*
usr/share/sword/*

I am not sure this works as expected with the optify rules as it looks i have some file appearing in two places (/usr/share/sword/locales and /opt/maemo/usr/share/sword/locales)

The inclusion of the extra mods.d directory is handy as you can then just copy /usr/share/sword in another place to get a sword directory template.
Sorry for the delay I had some family issues crop up. I've submitted a new version today with this change.

Nathan

Tags
bible, maemo 5, rapier, reference browser, religious apps, scripture reader, sword