Active Topics

I ran gparted on my N810 and accidentally deleted the external storage, bo biggie.
BUT, when I run PBEASY and repartition the drive, and clone, is where I have the issue.

When I chose clone, it tells me it formatted the filesystems then gives me two "OK"s

That's it..

It does NOT appear to be cloning. Any ideas?

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Try using fdisk or cfdisk to remove all partitions. Then create 1 big fat32 partition.

then format it with mkfs.vfat

then try running pbeasy, see if that helps?
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Posts: 134 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ New Jersey
Originally Posted by ChiaOwl View Post
UPDATE - It is finished .

I now have a huge amount of space in which to install programs. Nate is formatted (he's had a lobotomy), partitioned, and cloned, and I'm putting my backups back on as I type.

Honestly, it had turned into an ordeal and I was ready to chuck it and just make-do with the 256MB alloted from the factory. Then, one last try (after MANY), and it all fell into place and worked. I was startled, frankly, but am totally pleased now even though I'm not sure what was wrong for so long and what is now right...just kept doing the same things as far as I know, and it finally worked!

THANK YOU so much for your help GeraldKo, Un27Pee, Geneven, and KristianW, if any of you are ever in my town I'll buy you dinner .

chiaowl
Chia ... what did the trick? I'm seeing exactly the same symptoms as you right now. I used to have bootmenu installed and running beautifully. Then something stopped working and I was unable to install anything... so I reflashed and now can't format my 16GB SD card. I get the "memory is corrupted" kind of message too.

Help?
MP3: Insignia NS-DV4G or IT/Canola

Originally Posted by DistantFire View Post
Chia ... what did the trick? I'm seeing exactly the same symptoms as you right now. I used to have bootmenu installed and running beautifully. Then something stopped working and I was unable to install anything... so I reflashed and now can't format my 16GB SD card. I get the "memory is corrupted" kind of message too.

Help?
When you run pbeasy, and select partition. It will partition your card and reboot the system. Then it will come up and may display "Memory corrupted" error IGNORE THIS. Run pbeasy again, this time select clone operation and then it will have cloned and installed bootmenu.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Help me please! I'm installed console-tools, but when i type db or dbeasy in Xconsole and push enter nothig happens, there is no tools launched, and console is waiting for input of next command. but when i uninstalled console-tools and type db or dbeasy in Xconsole it says no such command.

N810 DIABLO_5.2008.43-7

Originally Posted by Smasher View Post
Help me please! I'm installed console-tools, but when i type db or dbeasy in Xconsole and push enter nothig happens, there is no tools launched, and console is waiting for input of next command. but when i uninstalled console-tools and type db or dbeasy in Xconsole it says no such command.

N810 DIABLO_5.2008.43-7
pb or pbeasy

NOT

db or dbeasy

Posts: 473 | Thanked: 141 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Virginia, USA
I have a couple of questions on cloning on my N810 with a 16GB external card.

Partitioning best practices
  1. I generally run Linux on everything that I hook the NIT up to. All of my home systems run Debian. do I really need to create FAT32 partitions?
  2. Since the internal RAM is 256 MB, is 512MB sufficient? Or should I take half of the internal card?
  3. This is what I was planning for the cards:
    • /dev/mmcblk0p1 - 512MB - Clone of internal flash
    • /dev/mmcblk0p2 - 1GB - Reserved for playing with kde or other OSes
    • /dev/mmcblk0p2 - 512MB - Experimenting with other OSes
    • /dev/mmcblk1p1 - 256MB - Swap
    • /dev/mmcblk1p2 - remainder - data storage

Do these numbers make sense?

Thanks,
--vr

I have Diablo 43-7 on flash, Chinook on internal card (cloned before upgrade to Diablo), and cloned Diablo on external card. However, I only get the option to either boot to flash or to external card. I used pb to set everything up. What do I need to do to get options to boot to flash (Diablo), or internal (Chinook), or external (Diablo?

Originally Posted by VulcanRidr View Post
I have a couple of questions on cloning on my N810 with a 16GB external card.

Partitioning best practices
  1. I generally run Linux on everything that I hook the NIT up to. All of my home systems run Debian. do I really need to create FAT32 partitions?
  2. Since the internal RAM is 256 MB, is 512MB sufficient? Or should I take half of the internal card?
  3. This is what I was planning for the cards:
    • /dev/mmcblk0p1 - 512MB - Clone of internal flash
    • /dev/mmcblk0p2 - 1GB - Reserved for playing with kde or other OSes
    • /dev/mmcblk0p2 - 512MB - Experimenting with other OSes
    • /dev/mmcblk1p1 - 256MB - Swap
    • /dev/mmcblk1p2 - remainder - data storage

Do these numbers make sense?

Thanks,
--vr
In general yes, you can make them as small as 5MB if you don't plan to use them. For compatability I would keep them

Originally Posted by vjktm View Post
I have Diablo 43-7 on flash, Chinook on internal card (cloned before upgrade to Diablo), and cloned Diablo on external card. However, I only get the option to either boot to flash or to external card. I used pb to set everything up. What do I need to do to get options to boot to flash (Diablo), or internal (Chinook), or external (Diablo?
If you have two partitions plus flash and they are not BOTH showing up in the boot menu. Then try to reinstall the bootmenu. Not reclone, just to the bootmenu install again and reboot.

see if that fixes it?

Tags
bootmenu, bootmenu-installer, install-tools, mgmt-tools