Posts: 48 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Russia, Moscow
Originally Posted by Netweaver View Post
every time i had distortion, i put the phone down and called back right away. every time the 2nd call was crystal clear
Yeah, just the same here.

crgoups enabled

Still waiting for the compiled debs!

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Peterborough, UK
I haven't forgotten, but I had a kernel crash last night upon opening StorageUsage when running BFQ and the bfqio interface - a lovely NULL pointer dereference. Now, it'd be easy to blame the bfqio and just set the option back to n again, but I want to be sure and not introduce instability. So, right now I'm trying to figure out the cause and whether my backport has any errors in it. I've also noticed that the PR1.3 Nokia patches made significant changes to the CFQ scheduler, so I was wondering if it would be better to instead implement a patch to substitute the current pseudo-RR scheduling policy of CFQ with a time domain WF2Q+ scheduler, found here (the site is currently having some problems, but can be found in Google's cache). I've already worked on this patch so that it applies cleanly after Nokia's, but am yet to test it..

Update - the patch spectacularly failed wouldn't even boot past the 5 dots. I'm glad for u-boot and kernel-power at such times

Last edited by Tigerite; 2011-06-09 at 15:47.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tigerite For This Useful Post:
Maybe this question is slight off-topiic, but that changes that Nokia did to CFQ can be responsible for increase of problems under heavy I/O (when no tweaked)? Qole stated that decompressing time of ED image (and reboot problems) become much worse after PR1.3, but he wasn't able to filter change to blame.

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
on the camera issue, i have the same problem but even after repeated slide open/close, the screen stays black. so basically camera is useless for now.
the joys of being on the bleeding edge of technology...

Sorry to have kept you all waiting with this.. I finally tracked down the cause of the kernel crashes - it was only occurring within code that was executed when the cgroup option was enabled, which is why I hadn't spotted it earlier. However, it's now fixed, so we can run the latest'n'greatest BFQ and BFQIO subsystem running in tandem! Here are the debs and uImage - thanks for the patience

Mandatory Modules

Plus one of
Multiboot deb
U-boot image
Standard deb

Headers for developers

PS The only bad thing to report is that I have had a call distortion over the past few days..

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tigerite For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
It probably should've been BFS6.1 -- because I use multiboot, it didn't see that the kernel changed, and went ape.
Had to use flasher to flash the zImage.

Oh, and music stuttering every few seconds is now gone.

Last edited by Hurrian; 2011-06-12 at 11:42.

maybe this was asked earlier but is it possible to merge BFS kernel and Power Kernel?

Personally I don't think they should be merged, even as and when it becomes completely stable (no distortion in calls etc). This kernel can never be "mainline" for obvious reasons, and most people will generally prefer to go with power (which uses CFS, cgroups and so forth) simply because it closer resembles the stock 2.6.28(.10) kernel. However, that said, the BFS kernel does contain all of the patches merged into the power kernel to date, and several others that I've backported, including the latest BFQ scheduler so you're getting the best of both worlds..

Sorry about the multiboot problem. I personally don't know about its nuances as I don't use it, so I wasn't aware this would be an issue. Could people please test out the BFQ scheduler (echo bfq > /sys/block/mmcblk0/queue/scheduler) and let me know of any kernel crashes? Typically, a short time after posting the newest version, I had another one related to swap. I've since disabled the final patch of the v2 r1 series, which delays writes if there are fewer than 32 sectors, in the hope that this was the cause (it may be also because I still had remnants of the swap prefetch patch included in the kernel I was running - this isn't present in the images I posted - but I doubt that).

Last edited by Tigerite; 2011-06-12 at 13:25.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tigerite For This Useful Post:
Posts: 268 | Thanked: 1,053 times | Joined on May 2010 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
It probably should've been BFS6.1 -- because I use multiboot, it didn't see that the kernel changed, and went ape.
Had to use flasher to flash the zImage.

Oh, and music stuttering every few seconds is now gone.
Don't forget the fact that this isn't an official release; you can look at -bfs6 as a GIT snapshot, or maybe even more bleeding-edge than GIT, considering the BFQ patches aren't in there yet.

The latest official release of kernel-bfs can be found on its garage page under "Files", which is -bfs5. We're still discussing what to do with -bfs6, whether we'll continue holding it off until we've made progress on the distortion, or release it anyway. Tigerite just happens to be so kind to provide precompiled debs of -bfs6 already, for those interested in it

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iDont For This Useful Post: