Posts: 248 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ MI, USA
Um, so lets get this straight, this Earhlink app "had/has" been around since the last firmware update, but now just recently Earthlink or others are hyping it up again as a "new" app/update trying to get some shall anyone dare say put 'wings' on it this time ? with Maye a 2nd or possibliybly 3rd gen attempt thistime? But the big questiion would be will it run under a tethered sys, a 3G, WI-FI, or WIMAX ? Has anyone anyguess ??

Posts: 269 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Finland
I m in contact with a sw company with a team currently in the development of third party application to the n800. the team is working inhouse.

Interestingly their CEO is not aware of any upgrade coming out now! It may be that his own team can't tell him what is going on...

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ MI, USA
Now why does that NOT surprise me at all.. lol... :-)

I imagine their weekly debrief: update, what update? can we be updated on the update, and the update date?

more seriously, I can't imagine that the CEO of this small company doesn t know the milestones of the update project. So either he kindly lied to me, or there is something wrong.

Or maybe they re already working on the NEXT update :-)

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Why would a 3rd party company need to know about the update? It won't change anything for them.

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Why would a 3rd party company need to know about the update? It won't change anything for them.
I admit i don't know. You must be right.
Perhaps compatibility between their work and the OS? Also if they re detached into Nokia House, they have to be aware of this kind of change. No?

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
It's the same thing I was thinking.

If there isn't any major change in the directory structures or on the system itself like it happend between OS2006 and OS2007, why should they care about an update?

Or do you (he) really think there will be any significant change like the 3D interface or evas or whatever?!

I am very happy with my N800 now, and I wouldn't care about anything more than Skype and Maemo Mapper 2.0 at this moment. Opera works perfectly compared to the one installed on my 770 (no "links doesn't work anymore until you close and open the browser" problems, no crashes at all up to now, 2 months usage etc.), so why complaining?

Yes, there is something I would like (i.e. the ability like in windows to choose the last item of a drop down menu by pressing the UP button instead of scrolling the whole list..) but basically the system is ok for me now (absurd: if Skype would be released as a 3rd party app, I could remain with this version of OS2007 without any major problem)

Omar

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Unless we are getting ITOS 2008, i don't see us having any compatibility problems. Even if they brought over a 3d interface like Compiz because the programs don't need to know about it.

Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
This looks like old news. It is on tableteer in enhance/product news section, announced 27.03.2007
fanoush - I was specifically referring to this in the post -

'To get started users click on the EarthLink Wi-Fi logo in the connections menu '

I'm up to date but don't have an earthlink logo in my connections menu. So....

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by anderbr View Post
fanoush - I was specifically referring to this in the post -

'To get started users click on the EarthLink Wi-Fi logo in the connections menu '

I'm up to date but don't have an earthlink logo in my connections menu. So....
Yes but the (old) announcement was talking about installing some third party application which then could perhaps create such connection icon even in old firmware. But of course then may make it better/easier in next firmware.