Active Topics

Notices

i'm suprised you do not know what a barcode reader is ;-)

I was going to say, if it's that easy i'm surprised all the basic apps havn't been released. I must admit from me going to a "hello world" to the latest app innovation in terms of coding ability will probably take longer than a few hours....

www.sonos.com

Last edited by pwannell; 2010-05-03 at 15:02.

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by imperiallight View Post
hahahahahahahaha, if you dont have any apps code them yourself. What a joke. Maybe reality but what a joke.

Nokia totally misled consumers on this.

And if it was that easy we would have all the basic apps we needed already.
We'd be a lot better off if all the energy that users put into doing pointless things like flashing a leaked version of pr1.2, and then benchmarking the existing apps, were instead put into making new apps available. In many cases all you need to do is put a finger/stylus friendly UI on top of an existing linux application.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by pwannell View Post
lastfm client is readily available on android with FULL last.fm support with their android application. We DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING which can stream last.fm content and do it well without subscription. Yes we have vagalume but that's combersome and we need to edit the commandline just to get it working properly.
http://maemo.org/packages/view/vagalume/
"Note that the Last.fm terms of use don't allow streaming music to mobile phones, so you are not allowed to use Last.fm in a Nokia N900"
Hmmmm.

Also after googling I found that this:
http://code.google.com/p/mobbler/
OS project and looks like itīs one of the best last.fm players for symbian so what that tells us about last.fm. There is shtloads of symbian phones compared to iphone or android now in world and they do not care about it so much that they would do official app for it. Why on earth they would do it on N900 if they haven't done it for Symbian? I see user request for symbian since 2007 on last.fm forums :|

Itīs a bit weird that now we start to see android and iphone apps eventhought symbian has been able to get basically these same apps. Is it only because of app store that basically any one can put up for symbian and N900 (Yes itīs possible).

I am just interested to understand why if Nokia is SO large why we can't get proper development of applications for the Maemo Device. The other application I would love to see is native support for the Sonos multiroom system which is avaliable and actively promoted for the iphone.
After googling Sonos looks quite nice and easy to use.
We have
http://maemo.org/packages/view/knots2/
Which is bit demanding but is open for customization and much more than what sonos offers (itīs good or bad you decide)

Iīm actually thinking right now that why there has not been same kind of apps for symbian for years? If you look marketshares you will notice that there is huge amount of those devices, but for some reason. Mostly American webpages have not made Symbian apps. Is it just because devel tools?

I dont think everyone has the time to sit at home all day and develop applications. I also bet that nobody would have bought the device if they knew that they would have to develop applications by themselves,well except for the ones that like to spend their time doing so.

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ United Kingdon
PR1.2 release should be closely followed by more apps. The delay of 1.2 has frustrated a lot of developers and i know a few that have put their projects on hold until it is released.

wont be too long now as we have the SDK and hopefully Nokia will have a stable 1.2 o/s to release to us all very soon.

I think you should make a "request" thread though. Developers won't make something they have no knowledge about. Most people on here aren't commercial developers and will only make an app they know.

For example, dWould wanted a twitter app so he made witter. w00t wanted a facebook app so he made facebrick. If you can generate enough interest in an app, then a developer could possibly pick it up. Until Nokia sorts out the whole ovi store thing, this is the route we will have to take

Originally Posted by telnet View Post
PR1.2 release should be closely followed by more apps. The delay of 1.2 has frustrated a lot of developers and i know a few that have put their projects on hold until it is released.

wont be too long now as we have the SDK and hopefully Nokia will have a stable 1.2 o/s to release to us all very soon.
Would you please share this information about projects being on-hold. I'd really like to know what kind of applications are being developed for the n900 .

I'm a hardcore techie. my work is linux,sql and oracle. but i'm not gonna sit and write code for an app i want. i dont blame the community. its nokia who needs to be flamed for this. no amount of rants on the N900 forum would help either(for the polite folks who always ask frustrated end users like us to take our grievances to nokia) quite a shame that the n900 would someday be a also ran phone. Hope the QT 4.6 sorts out the meego fiasco

Originally Posted by mymo900 View Post
I'm a hardcore techie. my work is linux,sql and oracle. but i'm not gonna sit and write code for an app i want. i dont blame the community. its nokia who needs to be flamed for this. no amount of rants on the N900 forum would help either(for the polite folks who always ask frustrated end users like us to take our grievances to nokia) quite a shame that the n900 would someday be a also ran phone. Hope the QT 4.6 sorts out the meego fiasco
Nokia doesn't make the apps. That's what devs do

Originally Posted by cryox92 View Post
Would you please share this information about projects being on-hold. I'd really like to know what kind of applications are being developed for the n900 .
Shazam and accuweather. There's are a bunch of YouTube videos promoting qt and some companies talk about their apps

Tags
applications, apps, fart apps, free apps, fremantle, maemo, maemo 5, more apps, ovi, ovi store, pay apps, software