Notices

Originally Posted by jsbigs View Post
Doesn't work.
Move the knots directory to your home directory if it's not there. Open terminal and run:

cd ~/knots
./knots.rb

and try opening http://localhost:1978 with a browser.

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by ukki View Post
Move the knots directory to your home directory if it's not there. Open terminal and run:

cd ~/knots
./knots.rb

and try opening http://localhost:1978 with a browser.
The Knots directory was (and is) in my home directory.

I did everything according to the wiki (though maybe I did it wrong):

"Run:
git clone git://github.com/solmis/knots.git

Then start the server with:

cd knots
./knots.rb

OS X users can create a standalone app too:

./install/create_osx_app"

And then I moved the "Knots" app from home/knots/os x to /Applications.

Originally Posted by jsbigs View Post
The Knots directory was (and is) in my home directory.

I did everything according to the wiki (though maybe I did it wrong):

"Run:
git clone git://github.com/solmis/knots.git

Then start the server with:

cd knots
./knots.rb

OS X users can create a standalone app too:

./install/create_osx_app"

And then I moved the "Knots" app from home/knots/os x to /Applications.
Ah, there's your problem then. knots.app appears in your home dir, the one in osx is just a skeleton where it puts the updated files. If you double click on the one in your home dir, can you access it with the browser?

The Following User Says Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 172 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ San Francisco, CA
Bingo! Didn't realize there were two "apps" there. Thank you! On to the next step!

Ok i enable SSL and i am able to stream server outside of LAN IP with my wi-fi and it seems to play as smooth as using the local LAN IP. But when using 3G, i try to mess with the profile to lower the level of detail and it plays alright...kind of blurry but the problem is..i am NOT able to get off or stop the play?? I can't tab the screen and try to stop it...it won't let me ..and it's just continue to play. I can't even shut down the program.

Posts: 101 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Sweden
I installed the windows version and I got it running.
But the process of adding new media folders is very slow. can it be tweaked somehow?

I use the profile for N900, but video is not streaming very well. I tried to lower the bitrate but nothing seemed to change.

I followed the Wiki to install Knots2 on my Ubuntu Karmic machine. I compiled my own FFmpeg with this tutorial that was listed on the Wiki and everything seems to be working fine but I get no audio at all on my N900. Video streams perfectly.

I suspect it is a server-side configuration problem but I can't find any help after google-ing it for like an hour. Any idea? Thanks.

Try changing audio format to something like mpga, ffmpeg doesn't probably have libmp3lame support.

Last edited by ukki; 2009-12-30 at 21:56.

Originally Posted by Soap77 View Post
I installed the windows version and I got it running.
But the process of adding new media folders is very slow. can it be tweaked somehow?

I use the profile for N900, but video is not streaming very well. I tried to lower the bitrate but nothing seemed to change.
Sure. Disable screenshot grabbing and it should be somewhat faster. FFmpeg sometimes chokes on big/incomplete files and I'm not sure the timeout works in Windows. As for the quality, try switching to n8x0 profile in that case, it's like half the quality, but it's still tolerable imo.

I am getting this message for some reason C:\knots>ruby\bin\ruby.exe knots.rb ..........++++++.............

How do i disable SSL? I can't get into the settings?

Tags
knots, music, streaming, video