Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
For the Jolla OH, an alternative for eInk would be Mirasol, made by... qualcomm. However, the I²C interface might be too slow for this.
Mirasol would indeed be awesome, I hope the interface is suitable...

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I would like to see a wine bottle opener together with one for coke beer and other bottles.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
What I absolutely need is a huge, sturdy, fully functional mechanical rotary dial on the back of my jolla phone. I want it to make the classical sounds when I dial, I want to feel the resistance when I operate it, I want it to be like my grandmother's phone when I was i little child.

Last edited by benny1967; 2013-10-04 at 08:38.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 160 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Spain
This TOH list is very curious indeed. http://jollatides.com/2013/10/03/oth...ts-prioritise/

Boy, what can I say? EPIC......No, LEGENDARY......

The Following User Says Thank You to xanderx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by droll View Post
too lazy to read the entire thread (at the risk of getting flamed :P)

1. some kick-*** awesome speakers with a kick stand
not via I2C but via BT

Btw.... found this link, not intrested for me(not a gamer) but got too think of OTH when saw this:

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/3...166208/photo/1

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-10-04 at 22:36.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
People are forgetting NFC, it can operate much more but without direct support to the mainboard. Also things that pair up through NFC are battery powered by itself I believe?

Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
Another aspect of the OH on which I hope we'll see more soon is how well it's attached to the main body.
There are no screws/bolts around (and swapping OHs should be anyway doable by non-engineers ) so it is very likely some type of clips.
If that so, I wonder how robust they are. For a simple Angry Birds cover (or your-favorite-rockstar cover), that would be ok, but for applications where there is some mechanical strain between OH and main body (e.g. the mytical sliding HWKB, or a car dock that holds the device in place from the OH) probably it would not be enough and it would require some additional support (top+bottom 'clamping' brackets?).

The Following User Says Thank You to minimos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Akkumaru View Post
People are forgetting NFC, it can operate much more but without direct support to the mainboard. Also things that pair up through NFC are battery powered by itself I believe?
NFC can not be used more than very low bitrates and no its not selfpowered its takes energy from the mobiles battery.

NFC is better suited for "pairing" or transmit small chunks of data like one persons contactinfo if tap with another device.

But what would be nice is if Jolla phones did have RFID "card emulation mode enabled" to use the phone to access buildings etc. instead of using RFID cards.

But it seems no phone this days can be used that way even if it is possible

Originally Posted by minimos View Post
Another aspect of the OH on which I hope we'll see more soon is how well it's attached to the main body.
There are no screws/bolts around (and swapping OHs should be anyway doable by non-engineers ) so it is very likely some type of clips.
If that so, I wonder how robust they are. For a simple Angry Birds cover (or your-favorite-rockstar cover), that would be ok, but for applications where there is some mechanical strain between OH and main body (e.g. the mytical sliding HWKB, or a car dock that holds the device in place from the OH) probably it would not be enough and it would require some additional support (top+bottom 'clamping' brackets?).
I wrote a couple of comments to Jollatides about the durability issues and how to avoid stacks of many OHs. Please see http://jollatides.com/2013/10/03/oth...#comment-10475 Please note, however, that I'm no expert of mechanics nor materials.

On Jollatides pages, more than 10 suggested OHs are supposed to contain an HDMI commector, mainly for TV set or monitor. But the "HDMI connector" in the wishlist seems to reflect more what is needed than what is feasible, because of the limited capacity of the i2C interface. So, how to solve this dilemma?
Could an optical link be used between Jolla phone and the other half? No optical fiber would be needed, just put the optical transmitter and receiver so that they almost touch each other. For good external screen, TV receiver or recorder, a one-way HDMI would be needed. But for more versatile use, the optical link interface should work two ways. Thanks to a high-capacity interface, the other half could work as a versatile data + entertainment hub. In order not to drain the battery in the Jolla phone, perhaps the optical compotents would need supply power from a peripheral device, such as TV set or monitor, only when needed.

Useful references: the WiF connection between iPhone and AppleTV, and the corresponding home entertainment hubs of Samsung etc. In those system video and other data are saved primarily in the hub, and smartphones have the role of entertainment-data sources rather than video players. HDMI cables are used to connect the hub to TV sets etc.
But I prefer an optical link, which would be more safe than Wi-Fi: no way to spy or crack.

Tags
half-assed?, irfmtransceiver, jolla, the other half, voting for nemo