Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Hmm... Now e have two conflicting opinions on the VAIO UX. We need another one for 2 out of 3.
I also stand for Vaio UX, had a UX1XN, the best UMPC ever had, if you can get the driver right, especially for touch screen, the original driver was somewhat inaccurate even calibrated. I bought a third party driver (I couldn't remember the name now) in a group purchase which cost about $30, and it was SUPER accurate and even support for gestures for scroll or drag etc. (Yeah stock driver does not support that.)

Some gadget had an eye-catching design but not friendly in actual use, but this one was cool in looking and using. Mouse pad was the best ever, much much better than the dot on Vaio P.

The only disadv would be difficult to perform internal upgrade, need accurate soldering to change CPU and seem to be impossible to upgrade RAM, but that's common on all UMPCs...

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
I also stand for Vaio UX, had a UX1XN, the best UMPC ever had, if you can get the driver right, especially for touch screen, the original driver was somewhat inaccurate even calibrated. I bought a third party driver (I couldn't remember the name now) in a group purchase which cost about $30, and it was SUPER accurate and even support for gestures for scroll or drag etc. (Yeah stock driver does not support that.)

Some gadget had an eye-catching design but not friendly in actual use, but this one was cool in looking and using. Mouse pad was the best ever, much much better than the dot on Vaio P.

The only disadv would be difficult to perform internal upgrade, need accurate soldering to change CPU and seem to be impossible to upgrade RAM, but that's common on all UMPCs...
I dunno. These are all antiques. Although I like the vents and ethernet port on the Vaio! Also don't see any for sale. At least nothing without outrageous price. Maybe next year...

http://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_is_all...news-15059.php

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Dear lord... the Sony UX1XN was released in 2007 or so, right?

What has been launched in (let's say) 2015 or 2016 instead? All of this old tech being pushed into recent discussion just doesn't instill hope that anything with modern drivers, features, display, CPU/GPU and/or functionality in mind will ever occur.

Simply stated, I don't want old tech that's outside of warranty that requires me to rely on the whims of folks that might reverse engineer something, require me to spot weld/solder something or makes me depended on people that honestly get just as disenfranchised all too quickly.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Dear lord... the Sony UX1XN was released in 2007 or so, right?

What has been launched in (let's say) 2015 or 2016 instead? All of this old tech being pushed into recent discussion just doesn't instill hope that anything with modern drivers, features, display, CPU/GPU and/or functionality in mind will ever occur.
New model? We have iPad, Pro, Mini, Mini Pro......

ARM tablet running Android (apart from Jolla tablet, which can not get easily.)

Or Windows 10 tabs? (still possible to run Linux)

But the problem is why want a 2015/2016 device when the task can be done perfectly on old machines, where old machines still have functions that modern devices do not have:

- A reasonable size, I will say under 7 inch otherwise it's hard to hand held. That eliminates most of the "modern" devices.

- A physical connected physical keyboard. And connect to the mainbody in one piece. The modern devices either use wireless connections or detached physical connection which is not handy when comes to "handheld"

- A removable battery.

These only exists on old devices.

It's not we don't want to talk about modern devices because there aren't any for handheld.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
But the problem is why want a 2015/2016 device when the task can be done perfectly on old machines, where old machines still have functions that modern devices do not have
I would say the problem is that old machines have functions that modern devices do not have.

How difficult can it be to take something like these old models and release a new version with more RAM and a faster CPU? Battery technology has come along enough to compensate for the increased power consumption, surely.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
New model? We have iPad, Pro, Mini, Mini Pro......
I bet those run Linux quite well.

But the problem is why want a 2015/2016 device when the task can be done perfectly on old machines, where old machines still have functions that modern devices do not have:
Because I don't want old tech that has built-in obsolescence as part of the equation. I loved my N810. It still will crank up, but I fear that I'll no longer have any replacement parts if I lose the stylus or if the screen breaks. And I'm in no mood to pay more than double/triple for hard to find parts.

I don't want old tech always. I do want solid tech though. There's a key difference where your loyalty to old **** means you're paying more to replace it later. How's that for "loyalty"?

It's not we don't want to talk about modern devices because there aren't any for handheld.
Bingo. There just isn't any good, modern tech that fits most of our criteria.

Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
I would say the problem is that old machines have functions that modern devices do not have.

How difficult can it be to take something like these old models and release a new version with more RAM and a faster CPU? Battery technology has come along enough to compensate for the increased power consumption, surely.
I would hug you if you were nearby. EXACTLY THIS...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Battery technology has come along enough to compensate for the increased power consumption, surely.
Wish that was the case. Apparently, chemistry refuses to follow Moore's law the way that computing devices do. At least, mobile CPUs have been able to drop their power requirements as die sizes have dropped...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:

Most of these modern machines have a better CPU, yes. But in terms of RAM, most of them are still 2GB now, compare with 1gb or 2gb on these old UMPCs, not much difference.

And since most of us not using these to play games or do graphic design, the extra amount of horse power doesn't make a big difference.

However a slider physical keyboard, an accurate resistive screen or a resonable size does make a difference.

Modern specs never equal to great user experience, proved on phones already.

Last edited by chenliangchen; 2016-03-14 at 15:56.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Modern specs never equal to great user experience, proved on phones already.
The opposite is also true. Older devices rarely equate to an user experience worth a damn. It's "usable" but barely so with people with needs/use cases that extend past terminal, browsing or minimal admin needs.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
The opposite is also true. Older devices rarely equate to an user experience worth a damn. It's "usable" but barely so with people with needs/use cases that extend past terminal, browsing or minimal admin needs.
Won't say it's wrong. It's also what the user need/want actually. If using app/playing games/watching movies then it's no doubt modern toys rule.

If considering the demands here, especially for this niche group old machines still suits.

I also hate digging up old chunks but just so disappointed with what is on the market now, and that doesn't look like to change anytime "soon".

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:

Tags
f*ck apple, f*ck google, f*ck microsoft, gnu telephony, gnu/linux, linux deploy