Active Topics

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by MstPrgmr View Post
It still blows my mind how much more responsive and faster the iphone OS is than Maemo. Is the hardware in the iphone really that superior to the tablets, or is it just better programming?
That is hardly a fair comparison, as the user interface on the N8x0 is a known bad thing. I have had many mobile devices and none have had as bad of a ui as the 8x0. A man with a pen and paer could get more things done and faster!

I would also like to see how long it takes the iphone GPS to get a fix from a cold start. Anyone willing to bet it will be shorter than the N810's time? I'd put money on that.
The iPhone will have A-GPS which will give better performance overall. It's not a fair comparison.

In all seriousness though, this thread has gone into infinite loop. The same arc of arguments being brought up again and again, sometimes even by the same posters...

I think it's better to tag the thread as 'Looping argument' or 'Rant here' or 'Angry Geeks Anonymous' just so everyone is aware of what they're getting into.

Originally Posted by tabletrat View Post
It really isn't that. Writing an iPhone app is trivial compared to writing a maemo app.
Cocoa is a great framework to work with anyway and the tools work with you, rather than against you.
You have to really want to write software for the NITs, as it is so much harder than writing it for the iPhone.

As a result, a lot of people with good ideas would just not get the chance to write for the NITs, even if they really wanted to.
It depends on a persons experience and what they have available.

Last time I tried developing for the iPhone required a mac, cygwin was broken and the linux required a lot of hacking to get working, it was the worst time I've had in trying to develop for a platform. I've recently tried setting up a development environment for Maemo, which was easy given all the documentation and not having to do a lot of hacking. I had wanted to program for the iPhone and it was a pain.

Also I've done a lot of GTK programming and using Glade for UI, and have a lot of C/C++ experience and have recently learned Python (all of which can be used to program for the NIT).

But it's all a matter of where you are coming from, I'm sure if you have a mac and have experience programming for it, you probably see the iPhone as the easier one.

I think it's fair to say that any time I've ever wanted to do anything with my iPhone I've had to do hacking.

Want to program for the iPhone have to hack it, want to tether to your laptop, you have to hack it, you want to transfer files outside of iTunes, you have to hack it, etc.

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
It depends on a persons experience and what they have available.
Certainly depends on what someone has available. I was assuming some programming experience, but no experience on a mac or linux.

Last time I tried developing for the iPhone required a mac, cygwin was broken and the linux required a lot of hacking to get working, it was the worst time I've had in trying to develop for a platform. I've recently tried setting up a development environment for Maemo, which was easy given all the documentation and not having to do a lot of hacking. I had wanted to program for the iPhone and it was a pain.
I have never used cygwin (I have always avoided it), and I agree, I would imagine it was hard. Maemo is easier now than it was originally with the vmware images (assuming you have a windows PC). It still requries a lot off faffing and reading before you can get anything going though.
But cygwin is not required for iPhone development.

Also I've done a lot of GTK programming and using Glade for UI, and have a lot of C/C++ experience and have recently learned Python (all of which can be used to program for the NIT).
ok, so you have experience in that environment more than others, so you can skip past the complication of setting up the environment

But it's all a matter of where you are coming from, I'm sure if you have a mac and have experience programming for it, you probably see the iPhone as the easier one.
No, I see it as easier as it is actually easier with no experience at either. Assuming you are running on a Mac for the iPhone, and the PC for maemo (ie, best of both worlds).
For the iPhone, you download the development kit, you double click the installer, you wait. After installing, you fire up xcode, you select 'new project', pick one of the several templates, hit run and you have a fully working iPhone application. Then you can add controls, connect them etc until it is done. Anyone can do it.

I have spent evenings setting up the maemo environment, and it is far from easy, before you even get to GTK (which is also far from easy if you are not used to it).

This is as a C/C++ programmer.
I don't know about python as I have failed to get it working on my N810, so I can't try (it worked on the 770 - can't get it to go on the 810).

I just read this morning that there will be no bluetooth tethering on the 3G iPhones.

http://www.tuaw.com/2008/06/14/no-te...for-iphone-3g/

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
heh, that bluetooth support in iphone is turning into a joke...

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
Again and again and again and again and again and again and again... Is this Engadget or something? 300 bucks, yep. +70*24, jaja. Oh wait, 2k bucks, is this real? R u kidding me, Steve? 2k bucks crap loads with supadupa wi-fi and ultrahighspeed safari the "national geography" ppage TWICE slower than good'ol "not so responsive and shiny" n800 with "not so fast" MicroB? What the ****, Steve?)

I'm sure someone will release an app that will let you tether via ad hoc networking...

Anyway, here's a great article on Apple's target market:
http://www.jkontherun.com/2008/06/smartphone-make.html

Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
I'm sure someone will release an app that will let you tether via ad hoc networking...

Anyway, here's a great article on Apple's target market:
http://www.jkontherun.com/2008/06/smartphone-make.html
Good link Reggie.

...So you other smartphone makers better smell the Applesauce and get things a lot easier to use. Not for the geeks but for the Aunt Sues out there. There are many, many more Aunt Sues than there are geeks and as the iPhone 3G is launched all over the world there will be millions and millions of Aunt Sues who will be able to get their hands on one. So you'd better get that super easy to use smartphone out pretty soon and get the word out to the Aunt Sues out there or you may end up sucking wind.

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
They could have ended the article way better than that offensive "Capisce?".

:/

Is that the way Italy's seen ?