OK, that error means that there used to be a keybindings.rc in your home directory somewhere.

As for the mouse cursor; you've always had one. Before, you just couldn't see it. Because some people think not having a cursor makes loads of sense on a touchscreen, the cursor theme is completely transparent. If you remove the cursor theme (rm -r ~/.icons/xcursor-transparent, carefully avoiding a space after the initial / ), it has to fall back on the built-in default theme.

That was part of the early DIY round of USB and BT mouse support; I'm not sure what Rob's script does now, but it doesn't wholesale delete it, as it restores the cursor to invisibility after the mouse is disconnected.

Edit: about Thanks! buttons, they don't show up in the AJAX-added forum posts. Reload the page from the server and they'll be there. (And Fatal, it's a directory, not a file; same idea.)

Last edited by Benson; 2008-08-22 at 21:36.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Benson why is my battery icon disappearing when I put charge on? What did I nuke this time and how do I fix?

What does this do and will it nuke more things? Just trying to understand these commands.

fsck -fy /dev/mmcblk0p2

Benson then is it possible to make a theme with Thememaker to have my menus transparent so that my icons float in front of my background image. I just want the three menus on the left side of screen when I open them to show my apps icons floating in a clear box with white line borders. Like Munky261 transparent icons. Off the subject but you seem to know icons and such. TIA

Benson how do I get the keybindings.rc back in my home directory? TIA

OK Benson I understand the mouse curser but why do I now have mouse functions in Debian? I thought Easy Debian didn't have mouse support. Confused?

Battery icon also comes from the icon cache; it has (somehow) procured and cached a blank icon in lieu of the battery charging icons. Using gtk-update-icon-cache in some way, and possibly rebooting (or just restarting hildon-desktop) should fix it.

fsck checks a filesystem by determining the type and calling fsck.$TYPE, e.g. fsck.ext2 for e[23]fs.
-f says force a check, even if the file system looks to have been taken care of.

-y says to answer yes to all questions; this makes it do its best effort at repairing things, but it may lead to avoidable data loss if there are problems with the filesystem. (That is, a filesystem guru manually recovering the filesystem may be able to recover all the data (and make the filesystem valid), but fsck's best guess, while it actually restores validity, does so by trashing some of the data.)

-p will fix all the things that are not quite right, but have an unambiguous (hence safe) remedy, so this is better for automatic scripts that need to run unattended than -y; you can detect failure and fire off an email to the sysadmin's pager instead of taking a chance on toasting data.

Of course, if there are no errors in your filesystem that would fail -p, -y won't hurt anything, and if there are, you probably don't have the skills to do any better than -y; it's just not correct to call it "safe". At least if you run -p first, and it tells you it ran into trouble, you can enjoy hours of trepidation before hitting return on -y.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
Benson then is it possible to make a theme with Thememaker to have my menus transparent so that my icons float in front of my background image. I just want the three menus on the left side of screen when I open them to show my apps icons floating in a clear box with white line borders. Like Munky261 transparent icons. Off the subject but you seem to know icons and such. TIA
Not really knowledgable at all except where I've run into them before. No clue on that, but it seems unlikely. Generally, solid colors are unlikely to be transparentable, while things that are .pngs are more likely.

For the keybindings.rc; grab a copy from someone who hasn't nuked their home directory, and drop it in ~/.osso/. (You could extract it from a fiasco image, but don't worry; I'll upload it in a minute.)

As for the mouse working, I have to admit to being a little confused as well.

Try
Code:
ps -e |grep evrouter
ps -e |grep mouse_poll
All I can think is you've got mouse support installed already, or we've been snuck a pretty dandy update in our SSU. I'm hoping for the latter.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
oh your good. trepidation I lack, hence all these nukes.
What about transparent menu? Any ideas?
Anyone have any other cools apps for Debian I should add?

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Not really knowledgable at all except where I've run into them before. No clue on that, but it seems unlikely. Generally, solid colors are unlikely to be transparentable, while things that are .pngs are more likely.
Where the 'that' that I'm clueless on is transparenting the menus.

I think they snuck it in for a future release. I remember Jolouis saying that he could not find it in OS2008 this was way before Diablo. I'lll give him a call next week. He would probably be able figure it out. Thanks for all your help.

Tags
debian, deblet, easy debian