Active Topics

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Peterborough, UK
You can always install the dummy package I posted a few pages ago - you don't need the flashable kernel image. But yes, I can make it depend on either bootimg or the kernel package.

Slightly off-topic, would anyone be interested in seeing the BFQ I/O scheduler in the BFS kernel? I'm working on backporting the latest BFQ-v2, although there is a version specifically for 2.6.28 out there which I can use if all else fails.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tigerite For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Mmm. Low latency, and the Android kids seem to like it.
I use the pf-kernel on my desktop (BFS+BFQ) and like it, so why not?

ATM, I'm using noop for mmcblk{0,1}. Any data on BFQ's performance on flash devices?

Hi! Dunno if I'm asking too much but can you also include Btrfs support for BFS? Tried some benchmarks on my n900 and it seems very appealing

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by Radicalz38 View Post
Hi! Dunno if I'm asking too much but can you also include Btrfs support for BFS? Tried some benchmarks on my n900 and it seems very appealing
BTRFS was merged at 2.6.29, and anything before that = data corruption risk.
In fact, it didn't get stable until around 2.6.33.

Also, good luck rebalancing on the N900.

Thanks! Didn't know someone already tried backporting it... >.< Too bad for me.

No, I didn't try backporting it. I did use the btrfs project kernel (before it got pulled into mainline) and it was... terrible.
I only switched all of my systems root to butter at 2.6.35.
Speaking of rootfs, is the N900's root compressed?

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
After watching this thread forever, I finally installed the BFS kernel. It seems to be working great for me, even with swappiness set to 0.

Ugh, fcam-drivers weren't causing my problems, it's Catorise's fault. It caused the reboots when installing blessn900, and it's causing blessn900 to not launch and fcamera to keep displaying the "open lens cover" message.

It's odd, this never happened to me on power47. Can anyone else confirm this?

Wookay. Here's my testing results:
Something's up with blessn900's postinst/postrm scripts that kill Hildon-desktop and reboot it. That is all.

Last edited by Hurrian; 2011-06-04 at 14:53.

The only reason which keeps me from using the awesome kernel, is the noise when making calls.

The people who you call with seem to notice this as well

Hmm, I don't seem to notice any noise while calling. Tested by calling an iPhone 3GS, Nokia{E66,2700C,C3-01}.

Other than fcam-drivers not working quite as expected, it's rock solid, and when combined with the swappolube IO tweaks and swap on uSD, even on 100% load it's still buttery smooth.