Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
I don,t trust this leak. I hope its fake. I will be pissed if the first meego device with keyboard is a n8 look-a-like
Hey that's just NOKIA. Take a look at the N95, N85, N86, N96....etc they all looks the same. The only thing differences are the newer modern looks of the front face plate and touched up cover or an a 0.2inch different in screen size.

i think Nokia wants to make as much profile as possible from their based design so they don't have to keep paying the designer again and again.

Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
The new forum rules seem to have missed penalty for breaking Godwin's law.
Much as I hate to waste bits on this sideshow, I'd like to point out that he isn't breaking Godwin's Law, but proving it.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fnordianslip For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
By the look of it, in the conversation, he stated that it may get a OMAP3430 processor...If this is for real then this N9 will way way way way behind other competitors in the market. Using an underpowered CPU doesn't make the device any better when it come to spec wise. Also this CPU is from the N900 which struggle to run PS1 emu-game.

I was hoping something at least OMAP36XX so we can get a super powerful linux device.

Omap3430:
* New OMAP™ 3 architecture combines mobile entertainment with high performance productivity applications
* Industry's first processor with advanced Superscalar ARM® Cortex™-A8 RISC core enabling 3x gain in performance
* Industry's first processor designed in 65-nm CMOS process technology for increased processing performance
* IVA™ 2+ (Image Video Audio) accelerator enables multi-standard (MPEG4, WMV9, RealVideo, H263, H264) encode/decode at D1 (720x480 pixels) 30 fps, and up to 720p resolutions
* Dedicated Imagination POWERVR SGX 2D/3D graphics hardware gives user interface and gaming developers the power to create rich graphics effects with cinematic realism
* Support for OpenGL ES 1.1, ES 2.0, and OpenVG
* Integrated Image Signal Processor (ISP) for faster, higher-quality image capture and lower system cost
* Flexible system support
o Composite and S-video TV output
o XGA (1024x768 pixels), 16M-color (24-bit definition) display support
o Flatlink™ 3G-compliant serial display and parallel display support
o High Speed USB2.0 On-The-Go support
* Leverages SmartReflex™ technologies for advanced power reduction
* M-shield™ mobile security enhanced with ARM TrustZone™ support
* Software-compatible with OMAP™ 2 processors
* Supports Linux, Android Mobile Platform, Symbian and Windows Mobile

But where is the 720p decoder/encoder of the N900? clearly it support in the processor. Also the processor support 720p recording as well.. hmm.. now i'm wondering about the N900 lol

http://focus.ti.com/general/docs/wtb...ontentId=14649

Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
Originally Posted by fnordianslip View Post
Much as I hate to waste bits on this sideshow, I'd like to point out that he isn't breaking Godwin's Law, but proving it.
godwin's law only applies to the discussion afaik. You still have to link nazis to the discussion. You don't prove godwin's by dropping in and presenting a completely off topic rant that mentions hitler. imo.
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

Originally Posted by mece View Post
godwin's law only applies to the discussion afaik. You still have to link nazis to the discussion. You don't prove godwin's by dropping in and presenting a completely off topic rant that mentions hitler. imo.
Godwin's Law according to Wikipedia: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1."

Nokia = Nazis would be a comparison statement, so I'd say he fulfilled the law and lost the argument.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheTree For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mece View Post
Lol totally agreed, why on earth would he brought up Hitler to maemo forum? Since when Hitler made phone or an employee of Nokia? I just don't get his sarcasm lol. Oh well back on the topic.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
Originally Posted by TheTree View Post
Godwin's Law according to Wikipedia: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1."

Nokia = Nazis would be a comparison statement, so I'd say he fulfilled the law and lost the argument.
yeah ok, but he wasn't actually part of the argument... well technically there wasn't even an argument. But he did however start his own argument and lost it at the end of the first post.

EDIT: sorry about the OT. I'll stfu now.
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
Hey that's just NOKIA. Take a look at the N95, N85, N86, N96....etc they all looks the same. The only thing differences are the newer modern looks of the front face plate and touched up cover or an a 0.2inch different in screen size.

I think Nokia wants to make as much profile as possible from their based design so they don't have to keep paying the designer again and again.
I think they simply made their research and found some of their test form factors better than others for the targeted public (or simply liked them more), so they based more devices on a similar form factor/design while including different hardware/software to differentiate the models...
This probably gives lesser doubts/confusion in the buyers, while wasting extra time/money on unneeded design research.
And still, I find Nokia to be one of the few to have a big design variation in their different models and to offer a wide range of products so I can pick the one that fits me best...
On the contrary, Apple focuses on one single phone (like the form factor/hw/sw or not.. or let yourself convince by SJ's "amazing", "awesome", "great"...), and other brands on just a few ones.
The only field they lack presence at the moment is the high end one (apart the N900), which is coming hopefully.

And remember that when you build a touchscreen phone you don't have so many options in design... it has to be a parallelepiped with a big screen and be as thin as possible.. you can round its angles a bit but then?
And optional qwerty kb, for which the hinge is a great design factor imo.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
NIce thread, 22 pages already, Godwin's law in action, speculations, speculations... Good start for my vacation

Has anyone been able to id the screen? Resolution is important, I hope to be nicely surprised...

PS. here is the text I copied (likely incorrectly) from the image of the back of the screen:

4850452 T4850681 CS1.1
S1610061200007 S2
H397VN01 V0

Googling this didn't give me anything...

Last edited by Sopwith; 2010-08-19 at 23:05.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sopwith For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thecursedfly View Post
I think they simply made their research and found some of their test form factors better than others for the targeted public (or simply liked them more), so they based more devices on a similar form factor/design while including different hardware/software to differentiate the models...
This probably gives lesser doubts/confusion in the buyers, while wasting extra time/money on unneeded design research.
And still, I find Nokia to be one of the few to have a big design variation in their different models and to offer a wide range of products so I can pick the one that fits me best...
On the contrary, Apple focuses on one single phone (like the form factor/hw/sw or not.. or let yourself convince by SJ's "amazing", "awesome", "great"...), and other brands on just a few ones.
The only field they lack presence at the moment is the high end one (apart the N900), which is coming hopefully.

And remember that when you build a touchscreen phone you don't have so many options in design... it has to be a parallelepiped with a big screen and be as thin as possible.. you can round its angles a bit but then?
And optional qwerty kb, for which the hinge is a great design factor imo.
To be honest the design on that prototype is terrible, why would you put double layout of facial LCD? I would prefer the LCD to be right at the edge of the Eluminum and no black frame layout. It's terribly ugly on silver. The design is very similar to N8. If Nokia makes something as nice as Apple iphone 4 in term of design then I believe that it will be a sold out device easy.

At the moment the design doesn't look as much apetite for me may be not for someone else though.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post:

Tags
design, nokia n9