Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Yup, it goes like nuts now.

Only one complaint. It froze once, had to kill it and it left the daemon running even after subsequent restarts of app. I had to kill -9.

An option to killall or similar on startup or in options would be nice. Restart daemon or similar that kills all daempns and starts a fresh one.

Other than that, cooool.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

ok, two things:

First, the app intentionally sleeps the GPS between sampling to conseve battery.

Secondly, by DEFAULT, the daemon turns off when you shut the program down, unless you explicitly turn that on in the configuration... I set this as the default because some people are paranoid about location being shared "when they don't know it", so YOU gave to turn it on.

/Z

Uh, it does... (or is supposwd to) kill/restart (all) daemon(s) when youbstart the app....

/Z

Last edited by MasterZap; 2011-05-14 at 17:52.

Ok, there has been some requests for "latitude only" stuff, and not my whole "app".... find that part attached.

Let me explain the story.

Obviously, me posting my whole app as a "small modification to the script" was, of course, a bit of a joke. I'm a comedian like that, and anyone who knows my dry humor would attest to this

What REALLY happened: I had been playing with my app for QUITE some time, as a personal tool to check in to multiple locations. I hadn't combined it with Latitude, nor did I have have an automatic update daemon yet.

When I was playing with this update script, I realized that (some of) that code also applied to my app... and.... that with some sugar and spice, it could almost become a useable app, that I release!

So I decided to package up the app, and as a bit of a joke, post it here as if "oh by the way, I made a small modification to the script", and hilarity would ensue as I had undersold and overdelivered.

All that was thwarted by my screwed up packaging, and the joke went stale and unfunny. *badoom-not-psssh*... oh well :/ Sorry.

So - if you are interested in anything MORE than just Latitude, I still recommend you try out "ZapLoc" (you are welcome in the ZapLoc thread for that).

However, several people were only really interested in the "smarter updating of latitude" but ONLY, so that code is attached here:

This script is DIFFERENT than before. Gone are the "--once" option. Gone is the idea to start it from "Alarmed". Instead, this code will - after receiving a "good enough" GPS sample - sleep the GPS (turn it off, basically, not consuming any power) for a set number of minutes, and then turn it on again. Basically, the app is doing nothing consuming zero CPU for this time, and then turns back on and gets a GPS sample again after some minutes.

How many minutes of what, you can set yourself in the variables with upper-case names in the beginning of the file, here:

PHP Code:
EPS               0.001  # Points within this many degrees are considered "same" and not sent
UPDATE_AT_MOST    1      # NEVER update more than this (minutes) even when moving
UPDATE_AT_LEAST   60     # NEVER update LESS than this (minutes) even when still (to avoid "stale points" in Latitude)
GPS_INTERVAL      5      # How often to "awaken" the GPS (minutes) 
ALSO, the script still requires the google api, but I have made a package of that, in extras/devel you can be root and do

Code:
apt-get install google-api-python-client
...to get that to happen.

Enjoy.

Or not.

/Z
Attached Files
File Type: zip zaps-new-latitude-updater.zip (3.4 KB, 221 views)

Last edited by MasterZap; 2011-05-16 at 05:45.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MasterZap For This Useful Post:
Posts: 169 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Spain
I like your work, Zap. The app is quite childish, but it really works, and well. An easy way to check in, to edit the configuration by a friendly UI, and a daemon in the background.

The only thing I miss is the possibility to check friends location in the map for Latitude, but as it wasn't the aim of your work and the app is not only Latitude. So I understand it not to be there.

Thanks for your work!

Last edited by jpala16; 2011-05-16 at 07:15.

Oh I wanted to add friends too.... but the Latitude API doesn't support that ... annoying, surprising... and strange!!! What is the point of a latitude API that can only post your own location?

You CAN get to your own location history, though.

Hmm.

/Z

Hi,

as i allready wrote, my location wasn't detected. not even the gps started when running the app. after manually installing python-location

PHP Code:
apt-get install python-location 
everything works fine.

regards

Is not loading friends and not able to detect my location on the map.
Tried that kurtyy says but Python-location is already the newest version, my X-Term said.

What's wrong?

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 199 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Concepcion, Chile
Hi

I update my latitude client after a lot of time to be compatible with the new google api and oauth \o/

Nokia N900 - Fremantle - QWdidget-Based
http://maemo.org/packages/view/googlelatitude/ v0.7 and up

Nokia N950 - Harmattan - QML-Based
http://mapdata.linfati.cl/googlelatitude-harmattan.deb

Last edited by rlinfati; 2011-07-28 at 15:24.

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 94 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Ireland
can you post some pics ?

Originally Posted by rlinfati View Post
Hi

I update my latitude client after a lot of time to be compatible with the new google api and oauth \o/

Nokia N900 - Fremantle - QWdidget-Based
http://mapdata.linfati.cl/fremantle-..._1-0_armel.deb

Nokia N950 - Harmattan - QML-Based
http://mapdata.linfati.cl/harmattan-..._1-0_armel.deb

Know bugs: the QML-based gui do not work in vertical mode