Active Topics

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by crasbelize View Post
No...no such option....I played with if for a good minute.

It's not a big deal....just a minor annoyance!
I suppose--but I wonder if Honeycomb will do away with that. Hmmm... you know, I didn't even try to see if a bluetooth mouse/keyboard would work with that Honeycombed Nook when I tried it out. I'll have to sneak it away from my mom soon and see if they included bluetooth support on that Nook version of Honeycomb--and if they did, then see if they handled that onscreen keyboard (vs bt kb) more gracefully, as I suspect it will.

If so--this might give you some profound promise/hope for when you throw Honeycomb on there, as I'm sure we all will at this rate.

Am excited about this CyanogenMod 7.....but it's not ready....Thank God for Heimdall!
Am I correct????
I have the t-mobile Galaxy Tab....
It would appear so! It's still baking, so it's got some unfinished stuff but it looks very promising for YOU. My Droid aside, I regret buy a Verizon version of the Tab. heheh

Hello All
I some how missed up my LiveWallpapersPicker.apk portion on my tablet. I could see that live wallpapers are installed but there is no options when I long press on the home screen.
I have been searching like hell on XDA for a solution.
Does anyone have the apk file?
Thanks.
What happens when you're at the Android desktop, tap the MENU key and then tap on "Wallpaper?" How did you know you messed up that particular apk? Maybe I can try to help out or at least research it with you.

Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
I've started a new info thread about the Galaxy S wifi devices it is Samsung and Galaxy related so check it out http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...381#post949381
That is an EXCELLENT thread! Thanks for starting that one up! I'm looking forward to seeing more news on those devices.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Just a FYI, if anyone fancies helping with the porting of Meego to the Tab, please take a look here: http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/Hummingbir...ung_Galaxy_Tab

That should give enough information for people to get going and I'm filling it out as I have the time. I'm currently trying to debug some sort of issue with the framebuffer driver and Xorg which means we don't see a display (even though Xorg is running apparently quite happily).

If anyone has any questions or thoughts please catch me on irc (#meego-arm). Thanks

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by lardman View Post
Just a FYI, if anyone fancies helping with the porting of Meego to the Tab, please take a look here: http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/Hummingbir...ung_Galaxy_Tab

That should give enough information for people to get going and I'm filling it out as I have the time. I'm currently trying to debug some sort of issue with the framebuffer driver and Xorg which means we don't see a display (even though Xorg is running apparently quite happily).

If anyone has any questions or thoughts please catch me on irc (#meego-arm). Thanks
From reading through, I got the impression you'd already known and been using Heimdall. Grr!

Thanks for all this! This is FANTASTIC! ...but I assume this only works on a particular version of the Galaxy Tab? (i.e. SCH-I800 is the one I have. I didn't see any notes about which versions this should or might work with... or which version you had used to do all this.)

Kudos!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
From reading through, I got the impression you'd already known and been using Heimdall. Grr!
Yep, Heimdall is imo the best bet for flashing things (in this case the kernel) as it's open source and cross-platform, rather than using the Samsung offerings (Odin, which is afaict a
Samsung internal tool that managed to escape into the wild).

Thanks for all this! This is FANTASTIC! ...but I assume this only works on a particular version of the Galaxy Tab? (i.e. SCH-I800 is the one I have. I didn't see any notes about which versions this should or might work with... or which version you had used to do all this.)
Kudos!
No, it should work on all devices. I'm basing on the generic kernel (there are separate versions at the Samsung Opensource download centre for Korea, China and South America), which I think the US device also uses. I think the difference you guys have (i.e. no voice calls) is above the kernel level, and in any case we've not got to the stage where we're going to start looking at how to communicate with the modem.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Actually, Google Maps is, in fact, available in the Android Market.

First thing's first--STOP AUTOKILLING APPS. You really need to let Android 2.2 manage memory on its own. I raaaaaaaaaaaarely kill apps to start with and it's been documented all over the Internet that with 2.1, task killing was a necessary evil that killed the battery, but with 2.2 you no longer needed an automated task killer because memory was freed up as necessary and actually helps increase battery life FAR better than an automated task killer (which actually made battery life worse).

Second, assuming you have a rooted Galaxy Tab, you can use Titanium Backup to FIRST: back-up your copy of Google Maps. SECOND: Uninstall Google Maps using Titanium Backup (even OS apps can be uninstalled using TB). THEN, go to the Android Market and reinstall Google Maps.

Lastly, Why is it crashing? I doubt that uninstalling and re-installing will fix that. What is the symptom and how does it crash? Maybe we need to triage the issue before we jump to conclusions about a cure for the problems.
Wasn't using task killer but I was getting a lot of force closures when running apps and someone suggested advanced task killer had helped stop that issue for him. Not sure if it helped for me.

Is Navigation part of Google Maps 5? I had assumed they were two separate apps since that is how they appear in the apps menu. That may explain why I could not find Navigation in Titanium Backup to backup, uninstall and reinstall (or maybe it was there and I just couldn't find it).

As for the navigation crashing it happens everytime I put in a destination. The app opens up fine but when I try to set destination that is when it crashes. Just the typical force closure issue. Screen goes black, device vibrates and then I get a message "Sorry! The application Maps (process com.google.android.apps.maps) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again" And then there is one option only "Force Close".

EDIT: Uninstalled and reinstalled Google Maps and still have the same problem so that is not a fix. Also tried using walking navigation rather than car (lol) but still got an immediate crash.

Last edited by etuoyo; 2011-02-19 at 19:45.

The Following User Says Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Well, this is as good a place as any to mention that I expect not to be posting as much on this site as I've followed through on my threat to get a non-smart phone and in the future get a tablet for my leisure computing activities. Needless to say, the tablet won't be from Nokia, which no longer offers one. And the non-smart phone isn't either. I bought an N800, N810, and two N900s, but this is pretty much the end of the line. I am going to try to hold off on buying the tablet for a bit, as the best seems yet to come. I'm typing this on a Dell Latitude D400 I bought in Moscow almost ten years ago; now that I reformatted it and am running in Linux, it's faster than ever.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Here is the HTC Flyers active digitizer (pen):
http://armdevices.net/2011/02/19/htc...ndroid-tablet/

It shows how having your hand on the screen doesn't affect the writing.

The input lag is somewhat disappointing. Optimization people!

I looks good, but seems like a rather gimmicky implementation. I have doubts that it will be well supported by applications, but I hope that I'm wrong.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
The sub-$100 Android phone is here:
http://armdevices.net/2011/02/19/sub...ericsson-6715/

Wow.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 271 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Georgia
What happens when you're at the Android desktop, tap the MENU key and then tap on "Wallpaper?" How did you know you messed up that particular apk? Maybe I can try to help out or at least research it with you.
Am ok....I found someting on the xda site.

I had to download terminal for android and do some tricks with a sdcard.zip file that contain the livewallpaperpicker.apk file.

Thanks.

Only new live wallpapers that I install from the market works.....but am happy!

The Following User Says Thank You to crasbelize For This Useful Post:
Posts: 271 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Georgia
Did anybody hear about this:Samsung decided to share!

Last edited by crasbelize; 2011-02-20 at 02:40.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crasbelize For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy