Active Topics

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Czech Republic
Just got e-mail

Mugen Power Batteries: Order # 500002xxx update

Your order # 500002xxx has been
Complete.
Replacement cover x2 tracking no. RB033368xxxHK
Seems like they're sending it automatically for all previous orders. I didn't even had to request new cover.

The Following User Says Thank You to moneytoo For This Useful Post:
They also updated their product page saying MicroSD and camera works with new cover.

My replacement covers also got shipped yesterday. It was a bit annoying actually. I came home and assaulted a pair of useless earbuds to harvest the magnet, taped it and some padding with white adhesive tape to the inside of the cover and got MicroSd and camera and flashligt functionality. Then checked email, and they had shipped new cover 12 hours before I started modding cover v1

Last edited by shadowjk; 2010-04-22 at 22:02.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Yeah I got the email yesterday as well.

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Tokyo, Japan
Is this battery the only option for improved capacity? Because the phone looks really a bit odd with the huge cover.
Could anyone post some pictures of the new covers?

Originally Posted by Fötus View Post
Is this battery the only option for improved capacity? Because the phone looks really a bit odd with the huge cover.
Directly, yes, AFAIK. Of course, there's always carrying spare standard-size batteries, or carrying an external battery that charges it through the USB.

Probably be a bit before anyone gets them, but I'm sure someone will when they arrive. (Including me, if nobody beats me to it.)

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by Fötus View Post
Unless there's an improvement in battery technology, the only way to get a larger capacity is to increase the battery size. I can think of battery designs that would need a smaller cover than Mugen have made (by making better use of the internal space), but they're probably cost-prohibitive to produce (anything other than a simple cuboid probably is).

there's a new photo on the site. there is no cover over the lense, but there is now an on off switch. kind of weird, but definitely better than what we had before. And a magnet has been added to make the memory card work.

http://www.mugen-power-batteries.com...ery-door.html#

$96.95 ! For the sake of a little inconvenience, buy a spare battery and charger from fleabay for £6.49, also saves having to buy a wheelbarrow/new pair of cargo pants to cart the phone around in

The Following User Says Thank You to Reading1800 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 240 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Wiltshire, UK
I have to agree with Reading1800;

I bought a couple of genuine original Nokia batteries (£11 each on ebay) and a couple of desktop 'chargers' (these are in fact just battery holders that work off your Nokia charger).

With a freshly charged battery and two fully-charged spares in an adapted credit-card holder I have over three days use should I be stranded and/or be away from the mains or my car. I still have the sleek original monolith looks of the standard case and uninhibited use of camera, mmc, etc.

Fact is, I have only once ever had recourse to swap batteries, but it's great to be able to pull out those spare batteries in the pub to wind up iphone users when their batteries die!

Incidentally, if you do run spare batteries keep them at least 50% charged and rotate them every week; if battery voltage drops too far damage can occur on re-charging that might lead to overheating and resultant damage to your N900, if not your pockets...

My Best advice: ONLY USE QUALITY BATTERIES. Nokia of course (beware of fakes - they are identical visually), Mugen and a limited number of other quality brands are also equally acceptable. Don't buy cheap batteries - you might get away with it, but in my opinion it's not worth the risk.

I fly R/C model aircraft and there are some real horror stories of (especially cheap) LiPo battery packs exploding through mis-use.

Last edited by NokTokDaddy; 2010-04-24 at 07:31.

Originally Posted by NokTokDaddy View Post
I bought a couple of genuine original Nokia batteries (£11 each on ebay) and a couple of desktop 'chargers' (these are in fact just battery holders that work off your Nokia charger).
I hope not. The Nokia "charger" is just a power supply..The charger is in N900.

I fly R/C model aircraft and there are some real horror stories of (especially cheap) LiPo battery packs exploding through mis-use.
What do you think happens if you charge your LiPo with cables straight from your car battery?