Active Topics

I'm rooted and online market works perfectly for me. Only tried it from the browser of my Tab though (neither of my laptops are working at the moment). But from Tab browser it synched immediately. Should hopefully get a laptop back tomorrow so will be able to report further.

The Following User Says Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Is this real? Honeycomb on the Galaxy Tab!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_Ygo...ure=youtu.be&a

It certainly looks real -- and very, very smooth.

I don't think it's a video pulled from the XOOM, as the XOOM vids are 16:9 aspect ratio (1280x800), and the Tab is a wider format; I don't see any black boxes on the top or bottom, nor anything to suggest that the lower-bar icons or action bar have been cut short (aspect zoom) or distorted (fit to screen). I don't think it's a video pulled from the nook color either, as it would be difficult at best to capture such a stream.

It could be a sped up vid captured from the emulator, though, with finger motions sync'd to the vid.

I hope it's not a hoax.
Based on the length of the video I am 99.99% sure this is fake. Gives the impression poster kept it as short as possible to minimise likelihood of being caught out.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=943545

what do you guys think?
i like the specs but i'm not sure what is meaned by dual-core cpu with 1,2 ghz.does it mean 2*1,2ghz or 2*600 mhz?

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

The Following User Says Thank You to atilla For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
Based on the length of the video I am 99.99% sure this is fake. Gives the impression poster kept it as short as possible to minimise likelihood of being caught out.
You're absolutely right. It is a fake.

If you look at this video of the Honeycomb event (14m:40s) you'll see the footage that was lifted and pawned off as genuine. Grrrr.

Here's the original video for reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_Ygo...ure=youtu.be&a

Well, it was nice to dream. Just a bit longer, then.

Last edited by Capt'n Corrupt; 2011-02-07 at 13:48.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
I was giving more thought to the action bar on a smartphone, and I'd have to retract my assertion that it wouldn't be practical on a smartphone. Why? Because I use an N810. Let me explain.

In honeycomb, the action-bar is implemented as a fragment along the top of the screen, that displays context-appropriate options. It take up real-estate, and since it contains buttons, it currently takes up slightly more real-estate than the current statusbar on smartphones.

However, on my N810 with its 800x480 display, when not in full-screen, displays a top bar as well, with a main menu and 'status bar' icons along the top. Based on what I've seen from Honeycomb apps, there's no reason something similar couldn't be implemented on the smartphone in landscape or portrait.

In fact, the N810 displays not only a top bar, but often a bottom bar and side bar when not in fullscreen. What's left is a smaller window, however, it illustrates that it is possible to have these bars without hugely sacrificing functionality.

In my opinion, one 'action bar' would be enough, and I would prefer not to have multiple bars as not to take up too much of the screen. But a comfortable implementation would have to be discovered.

Needless to say, I'm interested in what Google comes up with!

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
I'm quite certain that Dan is running a rooted Droid, though I'm not certain if it's a custom ROM. Anyway, he was gushing over the new market a few messages back, which is a good indication that it was working flawlessly for him.
You'll notice, in my signature, that I'm using CyanogenMod... and it works. FLAWLESS VICTORY!

Originally Posted by leetut View Post
then what im seeing with my very own eyes must be an illusion!!!
Or, get this... your particular mileage with regard to this experience may, in fact, be varying. I'm rooted... I'm using a CyanogenMod running Droid and remotely installing things via the web based Android Market is working incredibly well. What I'm seeing with my very own eyes must be an illusion! No, wait, I can video record my experience for you to see if it'll help you. (Nice having two Androids, no? heheh)

Originally Posted by leetut View Post
reboot changes nothing for me,
im only rooted and DONT have a custom ROM
is anyone else 'that actually has a Gtab' having this problem?
I'm only rooted on my Galaxy Tab too.. and it worked there too.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
The shape of things to come? Here's the Toshiba Honeycomb tablet:
http://www.thetoshibatablet.com/

Things I like (in theory):
- Replaceable battery. So it *is* possible, then
- 1280x800 res and Tegra 2 to drive it.

Things I don't like:
- 10.1" form factor (too big for me)
- Seems far too busy with capacitive and physical buttons and ports (I like simple)

A nice showing, but I'd *still* chose the Tab over this any day of the week.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Feeling blue? Missing Windows? Of course you're not. But just in case, here's a Win7 'skin' for the Tab.

Don't click the following link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqqmY-pI78c

You were warned.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
The shape of things to come? Here's the Toshiba Honeycomb tablet:
http://www.thetoshibatablet.com/

Things I like (in theory):
- Replaceable battery. So it *is* possible, then
- 1280x800 res and Tegra 2 to drive it.

Things I don't like:
- 10.1" form factor (too big for me)
- Seems far too busy with capacitive and physical buttons and ports (I like simple)

A nice showing, but I'd *still* chose the Tab over this any day of the week.
Ooooo... I dunno. I like it! I love that it uses FULL SIZE SDHC cards! THANK GOD! I hate microSD's. I really hate that form factor and the cost associated with it. I'm VERY thankful for a full size slot... the only thing that could have been better is TWO SDHC slots. But even that's pretty well covered with a full size USB 2.0 slot. I could either use my gargantuan flash memory fobs (I have two spare 16GB that I don't use anymore, as it is), or I can use an SDHC to USB adapter and indeed move things around between cards. HECK! I imagine I can carry a portable HARD DRIVE around if I really wanted to store a TON of stuff (movies, music, TV shows, ROMs, etc). I also love that it has a REAL HDMI connector, instead of some awkward micro or mini version. I could easily see this thing sitting on a desktop as a whole new desktop computer that I could disconnect from a station then walk around with it--and STILL not lose anything if I go on vacation and just have a few cables in a little sack for USB, HDMI, power, etc. The Galaxy Tab still JUST falls short of that desktop/laptop experience by just a tiny bit by lacking those ports.

I also think the along-the-bottom of the landscape view is a FAR better speaker placement for stereo speakers. I think Toshiba's done a good job here, honestly.

I think you prefer the no-button tablets, but I myself really do prefer having some off-screen buttons--so I'm glad to see it on this one. My only problem is that they're flush capacitive buttons like the Galaxy Tab and I really, really wish someone would put physical buttons on one of these things.

The higher screen resolution is a definite win for me, too. FINALLY a laptop-worthy resolution for 2011. The size is too big for a carry-around tablet, I'll agree... but if you intend to use this as your walk-around-the-house laptop replacement, it's not a bad size. I probably wouldn't REPLACE my Galaxy Tab with this one, for what it is, but it might replace my primary laptop assuming they release a decent keyboard/workstation connector for it.

Overall--I really like it. Now the question is--how much, when and how well will Toshiba support open-sourcing?

By the by--where are all those damned tablets Microsoft has been promising for years? Just wondering.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Last edited by danramos; 2011-02-07 at 22:07. Reason: finished my thought on SDHC cards

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
It comes down to personal opinion, and if you like this, then there will be more than a few options on the market that will appeal to you in the coming months.

Ports, ports, ports. I think to myself how I would *actually* use such ports and come up blank. Yes, it would be nice to carry one micro/mini USB cord as opposed to the proprietary, but really, what am I actually connecting it to? When I [personally] consider how I use my devices, I can't justify such ports, and when I can, a USB cable (proprietary or not) is sufficient.

I'm a fan of the res, but only as far desktop emulation is concerned. Otherwise, the res is something of a novelty. For modern mobile's, the real limiting factor is the screen size. The res adds to the sharpness, but physical size determines what is comfortably seen, and thus res matters less.

I'll give you the speaker placement, as you're much more likely to require separation in portrait than landscape; eg. watching flicks. This makes far more sense than what Sammy has going on the Tab.

I still see tablets as casual devices, hence the propensity towards 7" devices. I've considered tablets as laptop replacement, but in order to do that, a few things need to happen:

1) Android needs to get many more apps (or traditional linux compatibility for me)
2) Modern tablets need faster SoCs (eg. ATOM performance as an absolute min -- core A15?)

I think a true laptop replacement is at least a generation away. While the basic tasks (read: casual) can be done on current Android devices, they still lag behind laptops in key areas of productivity.

But again, this is all personal opinion. It's a wonderful time to be a consumer, neh?

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy