Active Topics

Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Nokia is still connecting people amazingly enough, most don't see it/experience it, but the fact they moved from consumer products to network seems to work out for them. Leave the consumer space to the mega-corps, they have the budget to choke us all with ads of their super products (some claim apple won with browser experience, seriously doubt it, they won with billions in marketing, since the ipod times, you don't grow a hipster fanbase that high with just a product/experience, but then there is this: http://www.macrumors.com/2014/04/24/...wser-engineer/

Apparently Apple was just (feeling like) a startup then)
Apple might not won the browser experiance, but they Are defenitly in the lead.

Edit text - very good
Copy and paste - very good
Switching browser tabs in landscape - very good
Video in directly in browser - very good
No Split screen for iPhone plus - very bad
Options to change stuff - very bad

I don't like the iOS but would love to have the browser experience on my androids, Windows, Jolla and Ubuntu.

Jollas OS is nicer but their browsers is beyond bad.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2015-11-21 at 10:20.

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Apple might not won the browser experiance, but they Are defenitly in the lead.

Edit text - very good
Copy and paste - very good
Switching browser tabs in landscape - very good
Video in direcly - very good
No Split screen for iPhone plus - very bad
Options to change stuff - very bad

I don't like the iOS but would love to have the browser experience on my androids, Windows, Jolla and Ubuntu.

Jollas OS is nicer but their browsers is beyond bad.
Dave you're a collector, pull out your iPhone 1.0 and run its browser vs any nokia N series from the time, was it really the thing? (as no point in arguing 10 years later with billionaire backing, even though android should've stood a chance even now, the original iPhone experience)

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Dave you're a collector, pull out your iPhone 1.0 and run its browser vs any nokia N series from the time, was it really the thing?
Doesn't have first iPhone since I was into the n series and didn't have the same budget for tech as I have today. It was more one phone per year back then.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Doesn't have first iPhone since I was into the n series and didn't have the same budget for tech as I have today. It was more one phone per year back then.
Shame, tried YT searching, but YT wasn't around at the time I guess

edit: any original iPhone 1.0 owners (lol, wrong forum) could check that?

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
All accessories except this:

http://shop.jolla.com/eu_en/cat-acce...a-origami.html

Is now out of stock. also Angry Stella out of stock.

[Speculation warning]

That was not the case some weeks ago. Either some fans has bought some Jolla stuff lately or Jolla decide to give them to employers as some payment....

[/Speculation warning]

I hope they can sell out the phones too. http://shop.jolla.com/eu_en/cat-jolla/jolla-1.html

Just wonder if I can use mapbagragŪ Flip case above with combo that I already have: http://shop.jolla.com/eu_en/cat-acce...elo-white.html

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
All accessories except this:

http://shop.jolla.com/eu_en/cat-acce...a-origami.html

Is now out of stock. also Angry Stella out of stock.

[Speculation warning]

That was not the case some weeks ago. Either some fans has bought some Jolla stuff lately or Jolla decide to give them to employers as some payment....

[/Speculation warning]
Lots of people decided to support jolla by buying what they could (how 2 year warranty is going to work out for them, I do not know, hope for the best), no need for conspiracy theories

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Nokia now is just a guy with a fat (for now) wallet, no factories, no manufacturing abilities, to get back in business they would need huge investment (or to rely on indian/chinese manufacturers), might as well just slap a Nokia logo on generic android device to see if people still remember (which they will probably quickly learn to forget with chinese quality of produce and generic android with z-launcher stickied on top), R&D costs a lot (in a way, Jolla could help them with that, but risky, when you need to open/rebuy factories of your own to bring back european quality and margins are so low), safer bet to sell tires again (or stick to network services or whatevs, CEO who got there after all those gamblers can stay for a while with no risk this way)
Jolla or actually SailfishOS would nicely fit to Nokia Technologies group as licensed product for other companies and it would be quite cheap to finance compared to some other projects but I don't believe Nokia would do that because their experience with Microsoft and Microsoft's inability to license its OS to other companies without massive financial aid.

Originally Posted by att View Post
Jolla or actually SailfishOS would nicely fit to Nokia Technologies group as licensed product for other companies and it would be quite cheap to finance compared to some other projects but I don't believe Nokia would do that because their experience with Microsoft and Microsoft's inability to license its OS to other companies without massive financial aid.
Good point, both in it's relatively cheap costs (how much did nokia spend on symbian r&d) and it's possible advantages, would be nice if nokia's management were willing to place a bet, 50mil is nothing for them, and in a year they could come back (as in real finnish comeback, bring back national pride etc, doubt only 10k Finns wanted to support their local manufacturer, Nokia's name itself would bring a million, though sadly most likely to android cheap-phone)

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
My point is that Jolla messed up/ignored the fact that the had a budget much higher than what they asked for...why didnt they Mange to produce more tablets.
Now, that is the correct question to ask here. As I've said, I'm guessing they were using the campaign for advertisement, and didn't believe they would actually need the funds it generated in order to produce the tablets. But yeah, that's just my guess...

Also wonder why the project did several screen changes when they were short to n money? The old screens didn't work at all?
And this is another excellent question. I really don't believe Jolla was in a good position to be so picky about hardware when they were sourcing the tablet. They really ought to have stuck with the vanilla x86 design and just pushed the thing out asap, rather than try and optimize it. But yeah, more armchair-quarterbacking from me here. The thing is done now; if Jolla does manage to come up with some more funding, it should be easy to pump out the tablets quickly (if the factory hasn't totally given up on them).

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Scale has everything to do with it if you want investment money, or you could do Mer with community UI, go bother them they are too small and too slow for your liking
There is no point arguing with someone who is always right, even if it takes changing the topic. I was talking about how much it costs to develop a tablet and you keep changing the topic to investors. If you do not see that those are different things, then there is no hope. I am out.

Last edited by pichlo; 2015-11-21 at 10:29. Reason: Typos. Oh gawd, does the Jolla keyboard suck!

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund