Active Topics

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
volt, your reasons not to be enthusiastic about MeeGo as N900 owner are all based on the assumption that MeeGo won't run on the N900, but the MeeGo project or Nokia haven't said anything about that. You are free to make your own assumptions but don't forget they are your own assumption. Again, it would make sense to make conclusions only after a first release.
Nokia has, however, said things about Maemo 6/Harmattan. Whether MeeGo changes anything about that for the Harmattan timeframe is questionable at best.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
I have read all the 191 posts of this tread but to be honest I still as confused and concerned as ever about the future of my N900. It seems to me that nobody even within Nokia can say whether meego will work on our device (perhaps I should be realistic and read that as a "no" then?) perhaps the simple approach to take by Nokia when meego, was announced was that they would support meamo/N900 for a further, say 2 years, not just make vague suggestions that meego may be possible on the N900 by the community. I feel somebody paying £500/€600 is not expecting too much for the device to be supported until at least it's 2 year warrent expires.

In addition the lack of communication re turn by turn and the Ovi store etc is simply lacking. Why can't nokia tell us if we are going to get full free sat nav on this device and if so approx when. If the answer is never then tell us now and we will stop asking. Also does anybody really know why the Angry Birds level pack was pulled from sale, perhaps if they did there would not be 140 posts on that particular thread?

Perhaps a simply Q&A for these type of questions would stop alot of FUD continually discussing the same issues/concerns.

Last edited by droitwichgas; 2010-03-03 at 22:11. Reason: Added last paragraph!

The Following User Says Thank You to droitwichgas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 149 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ YUL
So what about a "What can we realistically expect..." wiki page + thread under N900 subforum to discuss and summarize the flesh around this topic, and clean the many senseless arguments and noise we can read these days among valid and licit doubts and concerns?
Here is the first draft : http://wiki.maemo.org/What_can_we_realistically_expect

Is that what you had in mind ?

I shamelessly took your idea for the title of the wiki page. Hope you don't mind.

Last edited by Mandor; 2010-03-04 at 03:02. Reason: typo

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mandor For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by droitwichgas View Post
Why can't nokia tell us if we are going to get full free sat nav on this device and if so approx when. If the answer is never then tell us now and we will stop asking. Also does anybody really know why the Angry Birds level pack was pulled from sale, perhaps if they did there would not be 140 posts on that particular thread?

Perhaps a simply Q&A for these type of questions would stop alot of FUD continually discussing the same issues/concerns.
Well this is agile development in the wild and planning so much ahead is not part of it.... *grin*

The fact that there are no answers speaks a lot, in good and bad. Things are planned, thought and implemented as we speak - and most of the people do not know what the future will entail and absolute answers - with commitments - can't be given.

This situation is rather unique in technology industry. Think about that. Nokia is doing really interesting things here, doing even the right things... but they can't produce a coherent and believable narrative about it. ( my longer rant about subject in my blog http://huima.wordpress.com/2010/02/1...ith-consumers/ )

But what they have created is a great piece of hardware. N900 - as it is now - is already a mighty machine and you can do a lot with it. I haven't yet decided whether I will keep my N900 or sell it forward, but I am looking forward next firmware updates and new software - as N900 has totally changed my expectations on mobile computing.

I see N900 as a great start towards mainstream after few revisions of pure geek and developer devices. But to appreciate N900 you really need to be a power user of online services, messaging and multimedia. I bought the device second hand with just few weeks of use from previous owner and as we speak dozen or so N900 are waiting to be sold in finnish online auctions by users who have used their new device only for a month or so and are now ready to move to Android or iPhone -- platforms with more mature consumer offering.

Mobile users, media and sales channels have been waiting for Nokia's answer to iPhone and N900 is not it, even though people who do not know sh*t try to categorize it as such. And therefore N900 is in really bad position. It is like Brian in The Life of Brian, guy who is just a regular nice fellow but who everyone thinks and wants to be the savior... and eventually the poor sob gets crucified and people sing a long 'Always think of the bright side of life'..

So.. My Expectations for the future are:

- Yes, you get to keep the great hardware you bought

- Yes, you will get firmware updates with incremental improvements to basic functionalities

- Yes you will get great small utilities from the community and from within Nokia in true open source fashion

... but

- No, there will not be cornucopia of new interesting and entertaining applications or games as people will not take the platform seriously compared to competition in consumer markets

This is linux.

You can ssh to your servers and open up openVPN tunnel to your company private network. You can run top and fsck, but do not expect to get new releases from EA or Gameloft.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to huima For This Useful Post:
@huima:

That was funny and insightful, but my opinion is that you're too pessimistic about the future of Qt/X11/GNU/Linux on a handheld. Up until now, Nokia's really been going it alone, kind of as an experiment. But with Nokia, Intel, an even more open platform, two development communities becoming one, and the new blood that this will attract, I would think this would be reason for optimism. And everyone could finally get their UI bling-bling. This is the new FOSS; this isn't your daddy's FOSS.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
New information: the N900 will be the first ARM reference hardware platform for MeeGo.

What is scheduled to be available then is the first and very raw baseline to a source and binary repository to build MeeGo trunk on Intel ATOM boards and Nokia N900
http://meego.com/community/blogs/val...owards-day-one

If you wait a little more (PR 1.2 and Harmattan alpha SDK release) you will get more announcements and future plans. I'll do my best hunting for the Ovi Maps answer.

In the meantime I will help with the wiki page. Thanks Mandor for starting it!

Last edited by qgil; 2010-03-04 at 04:40. Reason: Mandor, not Matan

The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
You just beat me to that Quim. Valtteri's article should go a long way toward clearing things up.

Posts: 149 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ YUL
New information: the N900 will be the first ARM reference hardware platform for MeeGo.

http://meego.com/community/blogs/val...owards-day-one

If you wait a little more (PR 1.2 and Harmattan alpha SDK release) you will get more announcements and future plans. I'll do my best hunting for the Ovi Maps answer.
Would you mind, or pehaps somebody else, explain a little more what does it mean.

EDIT : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trunk_(software) Google is your friend, Google is ...

In the meantime I will help with the wiki page. Thanks Matan for starting it!
Haha ! I know Matan and I share similar views on open source drivers but I can assure you we are distinct entities.

Last edited by Mandor; 2010-03-04 at 04:19. Reason: Answered my own question.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mandor For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by Mandor View Post
Haha ! I know Matan and I share similar views on open source drivers but I can assure you we are distinct entities.
Sorry! Ammended. Posting at 5:53am has sometimes some risks.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Mandor View Post
Here is the first draft : http://wiki.maemo.org/What_can_we_realistically_expect

Is that what you had in mind ?

I shamelessly took your idea for the title of the wiki page. Hope you don't mind.
Seriously, thanks for getting the ball rolling!

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post: