Active Topics

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
I don't understand the meaning of this answer to this question:
which UI do we prefer Harmattan or Sailfish?= BB10!
Sorry to me i doesn't make sense.
Isn't BB10 a hardware to be compared to N9 or N950 etc or have I misunderstood something?
Quick reply...
Blackberry 10 is also an operating system.
Best wishes.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Best thing about today - true multi-tasking and intuitive controls on still-running instances of apps. That's partly a dream come true for me.

The design, layout is a mix of things we know, but they seem to have gotten a lot of the usage patterns to be closer to what I'd appreciate. I've already wished Jolla and the developers that left Harmattan for Jolla the best of luck.

It seems that they didn't need it. I just need to find patience on getting my hands on this - either on my N9 or in a newer, more capable device.

Kudos. Jolla you've impressed me.

Posts: 586 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by kevincostan View Post
wooow maybe this the plan B that elop used to mention if WP couldnt help nokia ..

anyway they said that they will corporate with several partners, will nokia be on of those ?
Why.. Nokia is dead.. there is noting left anymore.. it's like this pic....

Elop effect..

Not exactly. More like:

Or to be precise, already like this:

Jolla if ya' hear me!

I really liked what I saw, especially since they still have plenty of time before release. My thoughts on the UI are shown are . . .

(1) Lockscreen is niiiiice. Minor note: I wonder why there seemed to be multiple instances of notification icon (two mail icons) instead of just one mail icon with a number "2" if there are, for instance, two mail messages. Small detail.

Pulley menu is okay, but I prefer the N9QuickTweak Coderus drop down menu that quickly comes down when you tap it and has all options at the ready--even with single hand use. The N9 approach appears faster and easier than the pull-down swipe on Sailfish seemed to be. Let's just hope that Jolla's implementation doesn't cause a 20 second delay in activating the music app function! (OT: Can ANYONE fix this delay???)

(2) Leaving the Lockscreen. I think that you should be able to swipe to one side of the lockscreen to directly access the notification aggregator (yep, I just went there. Please add it, Jolla) and also swipe to the other side to directly access the app tray, instead of having to cut through the multitasker/homescreen.

Once you do swipe down to the homescreen, I think that the homescreen should keep the app thumbnails the standard size and if there are more than 4 apps open, then you swipe left and right to see additional sets of regular sized thumbnails per page. Miniaturizing the thumbnails would make them difficult to use (think how small our miniaturized thumbnails are on the N9). My way would be a better solution, since you could get more than 4 thumbnails on each spillover page.

(3) Application tray is pretty standard. I agree the icons could use some work in the aesthetics department. I would also have the app tray expand left and right, not up and down like on the N9. This way, if you have many apps, the additional apps would be located by swiping left and right, so that the downward swipe shortcut back to the homescreen would always be immediately available, regardless of number of apps on the device.

(4) The ambiance feature's automatically changing the color/theme to match the selected photograph was a VERY nice touch. If they use that sort of thoughtfulness and style throughout Sailfish, then they are off to a very nice start.

(5) As is the case with BB10 (and I also like what I see from the RIM jobbers), I think that the total attractiveness of the platform will be largely determined by its ability to successfully incorporate Android applications. This is the only way to avoid app-gap, upsetting as that may be to some purists out there. If Sailfish really can run most Android apps as-is, then that would be huge.

(6) Given the "openess" of Sailfish and the availability of what they're making available to to public, what is the estimate on getting a version onto our lovely N9/N950's? Later this week? End of next week?

I doubt Jolla will read any questions here. Add them to the community list, before it's filed to Jolla (it should happen on the coming Sunday):

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=87764

LET'S REAL FREEDOM BEGIN

Let's add more homescreen!
Vertical: Lockscreen, Multitask, Apps
Horizontal: Notifications? Maybe desktops ;D

Originally Posted by Garp View Post
I don't understand the meaning of this answer to this question:
which UI do we prefer Harmattan or Sailfish?= BB10!
Sorry to me i doesn't make sense.
Isn't BB10 a hardware to be compared to N9 or N950 etc or have I misunderstood something?
BB10 is an OS..
I mentioned BB10 because Harmatan,Sailfish and BB10 are the only OS's that are heavily based on the swipe gestures and true multitasking..
By the way i hope we can get Sailfish to N9..

Originally Posted by Prestige View Post
BB10 is an OS..
I mentioned BB10 because Harmatan,Sailfish and BB10 are the only OS's that are heavily based on the swipe gestures and true multitasking..
By the way i hope we can get Sailfish to N9..
We will most likely. Sami had an N9 onstage and seemed like he was using Sailfish

Tags
dave ate sail, fishing jolla, n9 sailfish, nokia n950, sailfish, sailfish os, sailfish video, where?